Question about Wireless Network Cards?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

I am looking at possibly getting a wireless card for my wife's PC. Either that or getting a 100ft long ethernet cable. I am looking at 2 possible choices right now.

This

or

This

Does anyone use something similar that works well? Can anyone recommend whether to stick with hard wires or if these would be good enough. Thank you

KyleGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KyleGates
Member since 2002 • 2997 Posts

Depends a little bit on what you are doing but either should work fine. The USB option is easier but generally won't have quite the speed of the internal card (neither will see the max of their "up to ***mbps rating). If web surfing is the goal, either is fine. Streaming media should be ok in many cases but higher quality requires higher bandwidth. Gaming, depends. In the end, hard wiring is the best way to go for speed and connectivity but a 100ft cable across the living room is hardly ideal.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

I am looking at possibly getting a wireless card for my wife's PC. Either that or getting a 100ft long ethernet cable. I am looking at 2 possible choices right now.

This

or

This

Does anyone use something similar that works well? Can anyone recommend whether to stick with hard wires or if these would be good enough. Thank you

Depends how good you are with opening your PC. A USB Wireless Adapter is easier to install since most of the time it's just insert the Driver CD, follow the prompts and connect the device. With the PCI one you have to open your case and install it properly.

A wired connection is ALWAYS going to be better than a wireless one. Faster and more stable.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

This

or

This

Depends how good you are with opening your PC. A USB Wireless Adapter is easier to install since most of the time it's just insert the Driver CD, follow the prompts and connect the device. With the PCI one you have to open your case and install it properly.

A wired connection is ALWAYS going to be better than a wireless one. Faster and more stable.

That is an easy one! I built both mine and my wifes pc so opening them is very easy :D But as long as it doesnt drop connection all the time I think it will be okay