Question about using a dedicated GPU for Phsyx

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by danjammer69 (4100 posts) -

I recently upgraded my rig. I went from using an SLI GTX460 system.

I am now using a Crosshair V Formula Z, and bought an MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr (2GB) .

My question is, should I just use the GTX770 to handle graphics and Physx alone or should I drop one of those GTX460 cards in to act as a dedicated Physx card?

I have plenty of room psu cable, case, and slot wise and also think I am good with the PSU- a TX850. I have already taken heat and power usage into consideration. I just want to know if this will really benefit me much in Physx enabled games.

Thanks

#2 Edited by FelipeInside (25060 posts) -

I recently upgraded my rig. I went from using an SLI GTX460 system.

I am now using a Crosshair V Formula Z, and bought an MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr (2GB) .

My question is, should I just use the GTX770 to handle graphics and Physx alone or should I drop one of those GTX460 cards in to act as a dedicated Physx card?

I have plenty of room psu cable, case, and slot wise and also think I am good with the PSU- a TX850. I have already taken heat and power usage into consideration. I just want to know if this will really benefit me much in Physx enabled games.

Thanks

I would first test to see if the 770 can handle everything on it's own (which it should). If so then you can sell the other card or use it as an upgrade on an older machine, and at the same time save money on electricity since your PSU doesn't need to power two cards.

#3 Edited by kraken2109 (12950 posts) -

Personally I don't feel that there are enough physx games to bother. Maybe stick one in if you're actively playing one and see how it goes, then remove it when you're done with the game for the foreseeable future.

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (7095 posts) -

770 should handle both physics and graphics pretty well.

#5 Edited by dethtrain (384 posts) -

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/using-maxwells-gtx-750-ti-dedicated-physx-card/

Interesting read

#6 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I just use my CPU for Physx. I don't notice any loss of performance...

#7 Posted by danjammer69 (4100 posts) -

Alright, thanks for all the responses. I am just going to load up some of the PhysX enabled games I have and do a comparison.

#8 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

What did you think of SLI 460's? Do they still hold up well with todays crop of games.

#9 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

Your better of just using your single gtx 770 to do all of it. I'm not sure in using sli/ and then the gtx 770 but I do know using a gtx 460 as the physx card will slow down your gtx 770 to the level of the 460 to keep them in pace with one another. Unless your using more then a single monitor, there isn't a point in a dedicated physx card. I too have a 770 and the thing can run games on max settings at 1440p or close too it so I honestly don't see the point in running a physx card. In reading that article though the other guy posted I might very well be wrong. Try it out for youself op see what happens.

#10 Posted by Arthas045 (5060 posts) -

The 770 should be able to handle pretty much anything out there with no issues....