Question about PC cooling..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GTA_MGS_1
Member since 2008 • 524 Posts

Not long built a Gaming PC and need some tips on cooling.. I was thinking a fan at the bottom, one on the side for HDD's and 2 exhaust fans at the top.. is this a good set up? also my fans will be mobo controlled.. do you suggest normal speeds or maximum fan speed? Thanks :)

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Generally the best setup is in at the front, out of the back.

But you can mix it up with top exhaust fan, push/pull. There is negative and positive pressure to think about depending on the temp and dust in your room.

Lots to consider, also larger fans are usually quieter.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Generally the best setup is in at the front, out of the back.

But you can mix it up with top exhaust fan, push/pull. There is negative and positive pressure to think about depending on the temp and dust in your room.

Lots to consider, also larger fans are usually quieter.

If you don't have dust filters, positive/negative pressure isn't worth thinking about. If you do got them. Try keeping a slightly positive pressure to keep dust from getting in every opening.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

A decent aftermarket cpu cooler is a must, especially for longish gaming sessions on demanding games.

The phanteks ph tc14 pe is a very good cooler, around £50

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTA_MGS_1

Thanks for the answers, do you guys recommend 2 cpu fans or just one to go onl the heatsink? coolermaster 212 evo btw :

I was thinking of having a fan at the bottom, next to the psu and exhausts on top, or is it better cooled from an intanke by the HDD's?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

PSU has it's own fan at the bottom. I personally have 2 fans in the front of my case a large outake on the top back of the case and 1 connected to my cpu's radiator at the back top. This way the airflow comes from the lower front through my hdd's and my gpu up and out.

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTA_MGS_1

Nah man I meant a fan next to the psu to blow air upwards.. can you buy a case with all fans pre installed for high end cool gaming? As I have no clue how to get the best set up.. fan on the front, on the bottom, blowing air upward and 2 exhaust exits behind the cpu fan?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Nah man I meant a fan next to the psu to blow air upwards.. can you buy a case with all fans pre installed for high end cool gaming? As I have no clue how to get the best set up.. fan on the front, on the bottom, blowing air upward and 2 exhaust exits behind the cpu fan?

Yes you can buy cases with the fans pre-installed,like Coolermaster HAF 932/X series , Rosewill Thor(MaximumPc called it literally the "coolest case"), but its fan setup is the same as the HAF 932 series.

THOR

HAF 932

But to answer your one question bottom mounted fans are tended to more or less directly cool motherboard chipset and gpu. But with cases with good side cooling bottom mounted cooling isnt needed

GTA_MGS_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTA_MGS_1

Okay dude thanks :)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@GTA_MGS_1 said:

Not long built a Gaming PC and need some tips on cooling.. I was thinking a fan at the bottom, one on the side for HDD's and 2 exhaust fans at the top.. is this a good set up? also my fans will be mobo controlled.. do you suggest normal speeds or maximum fan speed? Thanks :)

1 or 2 intake front, 1 rear and 1 or 2 top exhaust = best case airflow