Question about my rig...

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

Hi, all.

So I recently upgraded my PC (mainly for my younger sister so she could play Sims 4 and other future titles when they come out). I got 4 more GB of RAM (I had 4, but one broke so with the extra 4 I have 6), the Corsair xms2 DDR2. I also got the ATI HD7730 as well. But there are a few issues...

First off, in system properties, it says I have 6.00GB, but then it says (3.25GB usable). Huh. (It won't let me refresh my Windows Experience Index, but it says the same thing in dxdiag)

Second, I'm running an Intel Core Duo 3GHz...is this enough for the card? Or did I buy too much RAM?

Thirdly, with some games like Alan Wake, the system is sometimes still slow to react, when it should load a hell lot faster. It's a step up from my Nividia Geforce 9800...but still.

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

#2 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15887 posts) -
#3 Edited by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

Yeah, 32bit windows has a 4gb limit this includes Vram, so all that ram isn't even being seen, then that 7730 is a weak gpu its half as slow as a GTX 560.

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (7255 posts) -

Hi, all.

So I recently upgraded my PC (mainly for my younger sister so she could play Sims 4 and other future titles when they come out). I got 4 more GB of RAM (I had 4, but one broke so with the extra 4 I have 6), the Corsair xms2 DDR2. I also got the ATI HD7730 as well. But there are a few issues...

First off, in system properties, it says I have 6.00GB, but then it says (3.25GB usable). Huh. (It won't let me refresh my Windows Experience Index, but it says the same thing in dxdiag)

Second, I'm running an Intel Core Duo 3GHz...is this enough for the card? Or did I buy too much RAM?

Thirdly, with some games like Alan Wake, the system is sometimes still slow to react, when it should load a hell lot faster. It's a step up from my Nividia Geforce 9800...but still.

Not sure about the RAM dimms configuration??? you own a 2Gb of RAM dimm and the second one is 4Gb????

Never seen such configuration, I think it's bad for your system, also you want to check the speeds of both, they might not match.

Also your OS is probably 32bit, you'll want 64bit if you wish to use more than 4Gb of RAM.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

Hi, all.

Not sure about the RAM dimms configuration??? you own a 2Gb of RAM dimm and the second one is 4Gb????

Never seen such configuration, I think it's bad for your system, also you want to check the speeds of both, they might not match.

Also your OS is probably 32bit, you'll want 64bit if you wish to use more than 4Gb of RAM.

From his post i read it to mean he had 2x2GB, one broke and he bought another 2x2GB, so he has 3x2GB of XMS2.

Funnily enough, that's what I have. TC that ram has lifetime warranty, so RMA and you'll get a replacement. In fact, if you're as smart as me you'll RMA the one stick since it makes sense to only send the broken part, and since it was a set they'll send you 2x2GB. That's how I ended up with 6GB ;)

#6 Edited by GTR12 (9070 posts) -

The Sims 4 wont even run on a 7730, it'll look really bad, since like Sims 3 (halfway through the series), you do need some grunt to run the game, and that CPU is going to struggle badly.

#7 Edited by Sleepyz (3776 posts) -

Yup doesn't matter how much ram you put the 32 bit os will get ya. I have vista 32 bit with 4gig ram and it uses about 3.4 of it so i can't play 4 gig minimum games.

#8 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

Hi, all.

From his post i read it to mean he had 2x2GB, one broke and he bought another 2x2GB, so he has 3x2GB of XMS2.

Funnily enough, that's what I have. TC that ram has lifetime warranty, so RMA and you'll get a replacement. In fact, if you're as smart as me you'll RMA the one stick since it makes sense to only send the broken part, and since it was a set they'll send you 2x2GB. That's how I ended up with 6GB ;)

Yes, that's correct.

Hmm...maybe I will replace it somehow. I got it years ago when I was a kid in Europe (I live in Australia), but if it does have lifetime warranty I'll see what I can do.

Also...is the AMD 7730 really that bad? I presumed it was a good one...

#9 Posted by rogelio22 (2342 posts) -

I had a c2duo at 2.2 ghz with 4gbs ram and a 7750 and ran games just fine. 1080p low med settings...yea vista32bit only lets u use up to 4gbs and u should really trade that card for a 7750/7770 or a gtx750ti

#10 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@GTR12: I suppose you recommend I get a new CPU, then?

#11 Edited by PredatorRules (7255 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon don't upgrade anything until you know what's recommended for that game, you basically upgrade a computer that you don't know if you'll need.

Buy the game, if it doesn't work properly THEN upgrade.

#12 Posted by GTR12 (9070 posts) -
#13 Posted by wis3boi (31012 posts) -
#14 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

"

Basically, the developer will make sure the game will run well even on low-end machines, unlike previous Sims games. This is down to the new technology powering the game, which EA is calling “SmartSim”.

“We’re really excited to say that players on lower end machines are going to have a much better experience on The Sims 4 than they did with The Sims 3,” said The Sims 4 producer, Ryan Vaughn.

“We know that our players have a wide range of different PC specs. We want to make sure that somebody playing on a lower end machine has just as great an experience as somebody on a higher end machine.”

“Right now we’re doing a lot of work to optimise the game’s performance, cut down on loading screens and make sure everything still looks as beautiful, and the Sims feel as vibrant and that your gameplay is just as much fun regardless of what spec you’re playing on.”"

#15 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

hell yes.

Then what do you recommend?

(Sorry for the bump and late reply...)

#16 Posted by PredatorRules (7255 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

hell yes.

760K < FX6300 < FX8320 < FX8350

Whatever you've got the money for

#17 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

@wis3boi said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

hell yes.

And what price range would that put me in? It's over $100, I'm presuming...

#18 Posted by PredatorRules (7255 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@wis3boi said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

hell yes.

The 760K is 85$, excellent CPU for it's price

#19 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

@PredatorRules said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@wis3boi said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

hell yes.

The 760K is 85$, excellent CPU for it's price

Really? That's a damn good price, I have to say. I'll look into that one.

Any other suggestions?