Quake 4 please come back i miss you

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2606 posts) -

I would really like to see people start playing quake 4 multiplayer again. I mean fatality used to play this came in comps and i never see anyone playing. hard to go day to day knowing that nobody is ready to fight you in your favorite game when you get home

#2 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

there are better games to play online now.  Not to say Quake 4 would not be a blast in this day, but when you have ten shooters coming out each month, and one of them is at least decent, there is going to be a transition to the new game from the old.

I agree, though, I wish communities stayed with games for longer lol, at least shooters.  I really miss 140+ person games of Joint Operations

#3 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2606 posts) -

i just miss the fast paced action and how colorful the game was. truely one of my favorites. joint operations was great aswell. i used to always make fun of the name :roll:

#4 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again.
#5 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2606 posts) -

Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again.SKaREO

lol in your opinion. one of the best fps ive ever played

#6 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again._SKatEDiRt_

lol in your opinion. one of the best fps ive ever played

Is there a reason in particular that you think it's a good game? I disagree with you, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Just means you're different. I'd be curious to know what you think makes or breaks a good online FPS game. Obviously net code optimization is not very important to you. Nor is quality level design. So what is it that makes Quake 4 such a good game in your opinion? Reason why I think it sucks is simple. It's not optimized properly for online play.
#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23764 posts) -
i never played it back in the day but i bought it recently and I don't like it there's a 60fps cap in the multiplayer(why? I mean the good players would have been using CRT anyway) and it's too fast paced. I don't like when it becomes too fast because that changes the aiming style from more tracking/flicky to mostly prediciton shots and more spam. quake 4 is known to be all about positioning rather than aim for the multiplayer. In the bit I played, I can see why. netcode is pretty mediocre too
#8 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

I enjoyed the single player campaign of Quake 4, but never touched the MP.  I don't really like shooter MP outside of Counter Strike.  The campaign was good fun though,especially on hardest settings.

#9 Posted by NAPK1NS (14870 posts) -
Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again.SKaREO
Dude, do you LIKE anything? You whine and complain in just about every topic you post in. Time for a vacation, maybe?
#10 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Agree entirely, Quake 4 was a complete failure on all levels, they will never make something similar, because companies actually want to make money when they develop games. Terrible sp and terrible mp that was dead already on launch day.
#11 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
I never really got into the MP but I did enjoy the story, played it a lot on the Xbox on normal and hard and enjoyed it.
#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (14387 posts) -
[QUOTE="SKaREO"]Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again.DanielDust
Agree entirely, Quake 4 was a complete failure on all levels, they will never make something similar, because companies actually want to make money when they develop games. Terrible sp and terrible mp that was dead already on launch day.

Oh please, the singleplayer wasn't that bad. :P
#13 Posted by Renevent42 (5451 posts) -
Never played the MP but did have quite a bit of fun with the SP. Wasn't an amazing game, but it had it's moments. The scene where you are being turned into a Strogg was pretty epic.
#14 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="SKaREO"]Quake 4 was a disgrace to multiplayer gaming, pal. It's currently where it belongs, in the gutter. You want a good FPS that is true to the roots of the Quake engine? Play Counter-Strike 1.6 competitively. If you want a casual shooter with gib kills, play Team Fortress. Just never mention that abomination, Quake 4, again.KHAndAnime

Dunno, everyone saying stuff here is purely subjective except the multiplayer part, it was terrible and it barely had players at launch, to give fatality as an example is a huge mistake since he dreaded those days and always switched right back to Q3, but for me the singleplayer was the worst FPS experience I had at that time, it was a huge mistake to let another developer make a game for them.
#15 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2606 posts) -

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="DanielDust"] Agree entirely, Quake 4 was a complete failure on all levels, they will never make something similar, because companies actually want to make money when they develop games. Terrible sp and terrible mp that was dead already on launch day.DanielDust

Dunno, everyone saying stuff here is purely subjective except the multiplayer part, it was terrible and it barely had players at launch, to give fatality as an example is a huge mistake since he dreaded those days and always switched right back to Q3, but for me the singleplayer was the worst FPS experience I had at that time, it was a huge mistake to let another developer make a game for them.

see.. i think quake 3 is garbage and quake 4 pwns. but thats just my preference. i loved flying around with fast paced action with modern shaders. lol. it was da bomb. I mean sure i can go play 1.6 but in 1.6 you cant run fast and shoot without reloading and get boosted by colorful platforms. also quake 3 and 4 are extremely similar besides the graphics. all that needs to be different is level design

#16 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23764 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Oh please, the singleplayer wasn't that bad. :P_SKatEDiRt_

see.. i think quake 3 is garbage and quake 4 pwns. but thats just my preference. i loved flying around with fast paced action with modern shaders. lol. it was da bomb. I mean sure i can go play 1.6 but in 1.6 you cant run fast and shoot without reloading and get boosted by colorful platforms. also quake 3 and 4 are extremely similar besides the graphics. all that needs to be different is level design

"i think quake 3 is garbage and quake 4 pwns" "also quake 3 and 4 are extremely similar besides the graphics" wat also about 1.6 and quake, they are completely different. cs is way more reaction heavy than quake and there is only one real playstyle for cs, be faster than everyone quake you can play in a lot of different ways, even if you are slow and can't aim
#17 Posted by QuebecNationale (146 posts) -

This guy knows what he's talking about, I agree. While I enjoyed the single player for Quake 4, the multiplayer was horrible and I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

#18 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Can't comment about multiplayer since I never played it but the single players of Quake 4 wasn't that bad. It was enjoyable at least.
#19 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23764 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with tf2 compettive gameplay
it's just the pubs are filled with the worst kind of players who simply play for hats, memes, etc
i have noticed people who play source games on average seem to be mentally handicapped

here's yz50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ONJpa8aCc in tf2
he played quakelive for a bit too. His strafe aiming combo was the best i've ever seen

this is him in ql

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n93m0SiDVSE

#20 Posted by Tixylixx (312 posts) -
Quake 3 was better.
#21 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2606 posts) -

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] Dunno, everyone saying stuff here is purely subjective except the multiplayer part, it was terrible and it barely had players at launch, to give fatality as an example is a huge mistake since he dreaded those days and always switched right back to Q3, but for me the singleplayer was the worst FPS experience I had at that time, it was a huge mistake to let another developer make a game for them.JigglyWiggly_

"i think quake 3 is garbage and quake 4 pwns" "also quake 3 and 4 are extremely similar besides the graphics" wat also about 1.6 and quake, they are completely different. cs is way more reaction heavy than quake and there is only one real playstyle for cs, be faster than everyone quake you can play in a lot of different ways, even if you are slow and can't aim

yes that is what i think. 

and i know they are completely different never said they were the same just saying id rather play quake 4 multiplayer than 1.6 any day

#22 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

there are better games to play online now.  Not to say Quake 4 would not be a blast in this day, but when you have ten shooters coming out each month, and one of them is at least decent, there is going to be a transition to the new game from the old.

I agree, though, I wish communities stayed with games for longer lol, at least shooters.  I really miss 140+ person games of Joint Operations

mrbojangles25
What games do you consider better? You dont think its unpopularity is due to its hardcore nature? Arena shooters are all but dead, all thats left is Quake Live and thats holding on by a thread.
#23 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
CS is no replacement for an arena shooter.
#24 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

Cranler

What games do you consider better? You dont think its unpopularity is due to its hardcore nature? Arena shooters are all but dead, all thats left is Quake Live and thats holding on by a thread.

"better" was poor word choice on my part.  I suppose I should have said "more evolved" games.

I agree the hardcore arena shooters are on the decline, which, depending on your point of view, is a good or bad thing.

#25 Posted by fnevaeva (564 posts) -

I've played Q4 on the 360 and pc, and I LOVE the multiplayer! I just love the fast pacedness adhd style. The weapons and map designs are great. Just need some more people and party time! I don't see why you guys think it sucks when really it's a great game. In my opinion, All cod4 games and up suck. Cod2 was great cause there is only 1 running speed, and there are no dam* perks or wepon sh*t attachment crap. Very barebone and balanced in my opinion. And ya, halo 2 was good and halo 3 was deec, but they just ruined it after that. Rainbow six 3 for the xbox will forever be the best online shooter out there, then Q4, and finally halo 2. That is all.