PSU to mobo assistance.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

So last night I was upgrading a PC that I have been working on and got everything setup and went to connect the power. I was reusing an old 430W PSU and when I went to connect the power to the mobo it looks like the mobo is your standard 24pin and then there was an 8 pin by the processor. This maybe the new standard for Mobos, but my PSU was only a 4pin for the processor.

So today I am looking at buying a new PSU and thinking of getting a 730W that newegg has on sale and I still only see a 4pin connection for the processor. Am I missing something, does the mobo not require 8pin?

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance.

This is the PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152035

#2 Edited by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

Actually nevermind I think I see the 8pin in the pic by the 24 pin........... Sorry, I guess what would happen if you used a 4 pin into a 8 pin mobo connection, just wouldn't power?

#3 Posted by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

The 4 pin is connected to the other 4 pin and there results in 8 pin connector, you can bind them or split as long as you like.

#4 Posted by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

Well this PSU only has the single 4 pin it was used with a Dual Core 2 DUO mobo about 6 years ago. I found a converter that adds one of the leads from the PSU to make an 8 pin. Also doing some research I found that the mobo will power off the 4pin, but I will order the adapter anyways.

#5 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

What are your system specs? You can get a much better PSU for that price...

#6 Edited by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

@superclocked: AMD FX8350, 8GB Ram, future R280X. I went with this one because it seemed pretty solid from a review stand point. Any help is always appreciated though.

#8 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@Arthas045:

Yeah, that's a power hungry PC. You're definitely going to want a better PSU. This one is much better...

$69.99 - Fractal Design Integra R2 650W

Review

#9 Edited by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

The original I posted was 730w for 5 bucks cheaper?

Oh sorry I linked the 630 but meant the 730.

#10 Edited by bigfootpart2 (111 posts) -

That power supply you linked to in the OP is trash. It's not even 80 plus certified, and the amperage on the 12V rail is pathetic.

The Corsair TX 650 should be fine for your needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

Don't buy cheap, junky power supplies. It's not worth potentially frying everything in your system to save a few bucks.

#11 Posted by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

You don't need more than 400-500Watt for single GPU.

I don't think your mobo will power with a 4 pin only if it's built for 8 pin; get that adapter and everything will be fine; I think you agree with me that ordering adapter is cheaper than buying an entire new PSU =)

#12 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

The original I posted was 730w for 5 bucks cheaper?

Oh sorry I linked the 630 but meant the 730.

I wouldn't get a Raidmax PSU, especially for that system. The higher wattage ones may be okay for budget systems, but that's an expensive, power hungry beast. Get a decent unit from a good company..

Also, wattage isn't everything. Look to see how many amps the power supply can push to the 12v rails, since that's what most components use these days. And make sure that it's at least Bronze+ certified..

If you're not sure about whether or not it's decent, do a search on Jonnyguru, Techpowerup, or Hardwaresecrets...

#13 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -
@PredatorRules said:

You don't need more than 400-500Watt for single GPU.

I don't think your mobo will power with a 4 pin only if it's built for 8 pin; get that adapter and everything will be fine; I think you agree with me that ordering adapter is cheaper than buying an entire new PSU =)

He's gonna fry a 430w PSU if he pulls that much power from it on a regular basis. The FX-8350 actually pulls more than 125w under load, and he's about to buy an r9-280x, too..

@Arthas045: Speaking of your power hungry CPU, which motherboard did you get for it, OP?

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

@superclocked said:
@PredatorRules said:

You don't need more than 400-500Watt for single GPU.

I don't think your mobo will power with a 4 pin only if it's built for 8 pin; get that adapter and everything will be fine; I think you agree with me that ordering adapter is cheaper than buying an entire new PSU =)

He's gonna fry a 430w PSU if he pulls that much power from it on a regular basis. The FX-8350 actually pulls more than 125w under load, and he's about to buy an r9-280x, too..

@Arthas045: Speaking of your power hungry CPU, which motherboard did you get for it, OP?

A bit true didn't notice he's using 8 core CPU which takes 125watts unlike my i5 4670 that takes on 84watts.

Corsair CX600 I recommend

#15 Posted by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679

The board was more on the budget side of things. I installed everything last night with the 430w minus the GPU. Once I get the new GPU my plan was to upgrade PSU, but without the new GPU I would think the 430w would be ok?

#16 Edited by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679

The board was more on the budget side of things. I installed everything last night with the 430w minus the GPU. Once I get the new GPU my plan was to upgrade PSU, but without the new GPU I would think the 430w would be ok?

You can always do little math with this thing: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

if 430 will be ok; then you should be fine.

#17 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130679

The board was more on the budget side of things. I installed everything last night with the 430w minus the GPU. Once I get the new GPU my plan was to upgrade PSU, but without the new GPU I would think the 430w would be ok?

Without the GPU then yes it should be plenty enough.

#18 Edited by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

Yeah I am currently using a 7750 in here currently, which has very low requirements. The one thing I am not a fan of so far with the stock cooler is "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I thought maybe I was over heating, but not even close.... This thing is just loud.

Really loving the PC so far once the beast is complete I will be happy! Side note does anyone have any recommendations for a good/quiet cooler.

Thanks everyone for the input.

#19 Posted by kraken2109 (13075 posts) -

Coolermaster 212 evo is the most recommended cooler generally. It is dirt cheap but performs well at a reasonable noise level.

Make sure it'll fit though, it's quite tall.

#20 Posted by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

@kraken2109: Tall should be fine wide I think would be a problem.

#21 Posted by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

Yeah I am currently using a 7750 in here currently, which has very low requirements. The one thing I am not a fan of so far with the stock cooler is "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" I thought maybe I was over heating, but not even close.... This thing is just loud.

Really loving the PC so far once the beast is complete I will be happy! Side note does anyone have any recommendations for a good/quiet cooler.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Noctua are famous for cooling efficiency/noise ratio. Noctua U12P, C14, D14.

#22 Posted by Arthas045 (5257 posts) -

Do new coolers come with thermal paste or is it best to pick up a tube?

#23 Posted by PredatorRules (8152 posts) -

The Noctua does, other brands should be doing the same.

#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13075 posts) -

They pretty much all do