Prototype running slow

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60142683e52cf
deactivated-60142683e52cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60142683e52cf
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

I just got the game Prototype when i got around to play it it had very low FPS.
Only if i turn everything down ill be capable to play it but then the graphics suck too much.

I know it aint my computer runnig slow cause i can play gta 4 fallout 3 and other high end games like crysis easily.

My system:

8400 running at stock 3ghz
4850 hd 512mb
8gb ram

I tried reinstalling it but that didnt work either updated evrerything i can think of.
Anyone got a suggestion?

Squall0833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Squall0833
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I got my game today, I don't know why, I turned everything low, at 800x600 resolution, no AA,

i got average FPS at 10-15 everywhere in game, even at main menu, it's unplayable in game,

my spec XPS M1530
Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz (CPU too slow for that ?)
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce 8600MGT GDDR3 128bit/256MB, driver 186.06

I could play GTA4 at 15-25 at all low, but very low fps in prototype all the time? My system is too slow for this game?
Or something wrong?

nocturial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nocturial
Member since 2007 • 240 Posts

I just got the game Prototype when i got around to play it it had very low FPS.
Only if i turn everything down ill be capable to play it but then the graphics suck too much.

I know it aint my computer runnig slow cause i can play gta 4 fallout 3 and other high end games like crysis easily.

My system:

8400 running at stock 3ghz
4850 hd 512mb
8gb ram

I tried reinstalling it but that didnt work either updated evrerything i can think of.
Anyone got a suggestion?

XoutlawX

now you scared me, i got amd x2 5600 (2,91ghz/core) 8gb ram and gf 9600 GT 512MB/256bit... and i want to get this game... but anyway what system are you running? XP or Vista? is it x32 or x64 then do you have all Service Packs installed?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60142683e52cf

I am running windows vista 64bit fully updated direct x 10.1

Astaroth2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Astaroth2k
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Runs perfectly fine here on a gtx 260 4gb ram and e7200 at 1920X1080 res.Everything maxed and 8XAA forced through nvidia panel.Im guessing it has to do with ati drivers as the HD 4850 should be able to play it fine from the fps im getting at these settings.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
no there is something wrong, probably a bug. lots of people reporting low fps with high end rigs.
funked_up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funked_up
Member since 2009 • 716 Posts
I heard you have to let the game install DirectX 9.0c no matter what DX you have.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but try uninstalling your driver package, use Driver Sweeper (on Guru 3D) to remove any residue of old drivers. Install the fresh new driver package and see if that helps.

If you're using DX 9, go to dxdiag and set sound acceleration to Basic. I can't remember, you might be able to do that on DX10.1 as well. I can't change it on DX11.

FWIW the game is running perfectly on my rig.. Phenom II 720, 4870, 8 GB DDR2, on Windows 7 64-bit. Using latest ATI drivers for Windows 7.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60142683e52cf

I had ati software force everthing to high it seems it doesnt work with prototype cause when i used the graphics of the game instead of the ati software it ran fine 40-60 fps now.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

That's strange, because I'm running forced AA/AF through ATi Catalyst without a problem.. maybe only some systems. At least it works, though :D

gekkegast93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gekkegast93
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi guys, I have an easier solution here, 1) Go To your device manager 2) Uninstall every Human Interface Device you dont need. Only leave the mouse and keyboard 3) Run the game smoooooth
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Hi guys, I have an easier solution here, 1) Go To your device manager 2) Uninstall every Human Interface Device you dont need. Only leave the mouse and keyboard 3) Run the game smooooothgekkegast93

How is that easier? I would reqiure the use of my n52 to play the game.

crozon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crozon
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts
on my laptop 2.5 c2d, 4gb ram, ati 4850 it runs maxed out no problem at 1680*1050. it helps if i hit the turbo button on the laptop that overclocks the cpu to 2.9 on the desktop amd x2 4600, 4gb ram and 8800gts 640mb it runs too slow. around the 20 mark on the other desktop 2.4 quad, 4gb ram, 8800gt it runs great. no slow down what so ever. it looks very cpu hungry. also all three systems are running windows 7 64bit.
sasalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sasalu
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I just installed prototype and game runs sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

My sys:

AMD quad 2.3ghz

nvidia 8600 on 512mb ddr3

3 gig RAM on 667MHz

vista ultimate

even if i put graphic to lowest setting still runs very slow like slow motion

Any sugestion to inprove this we all need to buy INtel i7 CPU

Guyv3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Guyv3r
Thank god I'm not the only one. I just got this game off Steam and after enjoying the lovely intro and get into the game play it's chug city, basically unplayable. I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.1, 4gb RAM and two overclocked Asus 1gb Dark Knight 4870 running in Crossfire which should be more than enough to run Prototype. I've tried the game on low settings and so very choppy.
Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Theirs a glitch with prototype where it doesn't use the graphics card, this could be your problem

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#17 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

My games runs smooth maxed at 720p, but 1080p it takes a major dive. I mean there's an obvious problem with the game engine because the difference in framerate is so big.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#18 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Theirs a glitch with prototype where it doesn't use the graphics card, this could be your problem

Tokeism

If it didn't use the graphics card, the game wouldn't load into the engine at all.

davidbaba1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 davidbaba1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I have the same problem and it isn't because of my computer (I'm sure about that)...
Whiteknight19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Whiteknight19
Member since 2003 • 1303 Posts

mine is playable its smooth but the fps takes a dive when there is loads i mean loads going on and i have

8800GTX sli

Q6600 clocked at 3.2

2gig of ram overclocked

the game is running on high detail with 4 times AA

Guyv3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Guyv3r
Has anyone found any info on this problem yet? I've been Googling around and all I get is mixed results. I've been to the Activision forums and they have the nerve to name their technical issues thread "SOLVED" when clearly many people are still having problems. I followed their advice and disconnected all but the necessary HIDs but it still runs like crap. Pretty piss poor effort on their behalf -__-
Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
im gonna have to say its most likely your hardware thats the problem. Im playing Prototype and it runs pretty fast, smooth like a babies butt, even during large firefights and stuff onscreen and my system isnt all that, cept im using a decent vid card. And no, my install doesnt have this so-called glitch where it doesnt use the video card. Does that glitch even really exist? I must be the lucky one! yay me... i guess.
MaxiM_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 MaxiM_
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts

The game is foobared as for right now. To play at mere 25fps I had to unplug literally every USB device, including mouse, which took the most out of my FPS (around 10!). I say mere 25 FPS, because taking in consideration how the game looks, it's should run super smoothly at around 60 FPS on my gear. I have Core2Duo E8400, Radeon HD4870 and 4 gigs of ram. I played a lot of new games lately, so i can tell the difference. This HID thing is unacceptable and i hope for a real fix from the developers soon, because the game looks great, but with performance that bad... *face-palm*

ReckHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReckHavoc
Member since 2003 • 1286 Posts

The game is foobared as for right now. To play at mere 25fps I had to unplug literally every USB device, including mouse, which took the most out of my FPS (around 10!). I say mere 25 FPS, because taking in consideration how the game looks, it's should run super smoothly at around 60 FPS on my gear. I have Core2Duo E8400, Radeon HD4870 and 4 gigs of ram. I played a lot of new games lately, so i can tell the difference. This HID thing is unacceptable and i hope for a real fix from the developers soon, because the game looks great, but with performance that bad... *face-palm*

MaxiM_
Well then, you obviously have either a problem with your usb controller, or you do not have a big enough power supply.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
I find the game quite well optimized for the amount of stuff that happens on screen : My framerate never drops below 45 frames, and hits high at around 80 frames. It's a Quad Core 2.4GHz 8GB 1033MHz 9600GT OC'd system. Running on maximum settings at 1650x1050, no AA.
MaxiM_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MaxiM_

Well then, you obviously have either a problem with your usb controller, or you do not have a big enough power supply.ReckHavoc

Judging by your post, one could think that i never mentioned that other modern (like this and last year modern) games run smooth like a charm on my gear. My controller is fine - even un-plugging it doesn't make much difference. My power supply is more than enough, being a 500W Tagan and all... :roll:

I don't say that the game doesn't work fine for some of you, but for me and any others it doesn't and has some serious issues that need to be addressed. Never ever no other game forced me to un-plug anything from my PC. Even suggesting such a half-baked solution was an affront on devs side. But the game is fresh and there's still hope for a relatively quick patch. We will wait and see.

spartan89d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spartan89d

[QUOTE="Tokeism"]

-Unreal-

If it didn't use the graphics card, the game wouldn't load into the engine at all.

I think that the problem is that there is a glitch where Prototype won't use the graphics card's RAM, so it pretends you have shared RAM. Let's say, hypothetically, you have 1 GB of memory. It's enough to play Prototype if you have a Graphics card with 4 GB of memory on it that are devoted to graphics.
eriktkire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#28 eriktkire
Member since 2004 • 302 Posts

I have to agree, it's obviously a result of less than adequete beta testing.

I have insanely slow performance right from the loading screen (the copyright screen alone takes at least 5-10 minutes to load). All while still at 640x480. Tried all the suggested solutions, all drivers up to date.. nothing works to speed this up.

XP 64-bit
AMD X2 5200+
GeForce 9500 - 512MB
6GB RAM

And my system is tweaked... nothing running in the background that is unecessary. My system has zero bloat because I use it for animation, not just gaming, so I know how to eat up every spec of power my system has to offer. I've been using XP x64 for awhile now and I haven't had an unfixable 'issue' like this since I tried Rockstar's Bully (before they finally released the damn patch).. and before that? Maybe Splinter Cell's Double Agent, and that's a series renowned for its inevitable crash-inducing code.

One thing I refuse to test is capping my memory like the so called solutions for Bully, or anything like that. It's 2009... I'm not choking my system just to get a game to work. Leave that kind of handicap to the console tards... this kind of crap is unacceptable.

I say PATCH!!!! and soon

kmagika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kmagika
Member since 2004 • 832 Posts

Dont know why it would be running slow on your guys pc's

I have e7300 stock, gtx260 stock, 4gb ddr2 800, vista ultimate 64bitand i have no issues what so ever. running every thing maxed at 1680x1050

kmagika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kmagika
Member since 2004 • 832 Posts

and i can still have apps running in the background and music playing so its really strange you having trouble

eriktkire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 eriktkire

that's the most frustrating thing about it.. I can leave photoshop open in the background while I run Crysis. I'll get the same performance whether Photoshop were sitting idle in the memory or not.

I can let Prototype go through its sludgy load time even if I load a 2nd game into the system... doesn't go any slower than it was already going, and oddly, it barely impacts on the 2nd game that is open. Very odd.

I can't help but think it's a tiny bit of code that doesn't like how certain combos of hardware interact with DirectX

eriktkire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eriktkire

okay, I gave it one last test based on a solution someone posted on a piracy site, and it worked for me.

This guy's solution was that he had trouble with his M$ Sidewinder... he unplugged it, put his old Logitech mouse in, and it magically ran smoothly. Apparently the sidewinder will work if he plugs it back in after loading the game... just some buttons don't work.

So I first tried unplugging my keyboard (Laser Wolverine gaming keyboard).... double clicked the game... loaded at the proper speed... replugged the keyboard while the game was running... playable.

Retarded solution and definitely something they need to patch... so don't bother uninstalling/disabling HID items in your device panel... you shouldn't have ever considered it... would you disable hardware for non-game software!?!... no you wouldn't, you'd assume there was something nefarious in the coding and uninstall that piece of crap right away.

MaxiM_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MaxiM_

I have managed to get the game running somehow smooth, but at what cost? I have disabled every HID device but mouse and gamepad - now it runs at 40-60FPS, around 30 in crowded areas @ 1600x1200. I have even switched my keyboard to PS/2 via adaptor. But I had to turn off AA completely, or the game would not run in more than 60Mhz (yes, some of us, graphic designers mostly, still use CRT monitors, since they are far superb to their younger and more expensive flat counterparts). Enabling my WACOM Bamboo every damn time I need to draw something is a pain in the butt tho. But the game is nice. I don't know if I'll still be able to say "it was worth it" after a week of playing it, but maybe the devs will get their sh!t together and release some kind of hotfix at least. And soon!

Guyv3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Guyv3r
Just thought I'd post an update on one of the worst game purchases I've made. I've been bouncing emails off Activision and they have been trying to help with stupid suggestions that I shouldn't have to do when buying a game. Everything mentioned in this thread is basically what they've told me to do, I've even tried unplugging my Sidewinder and it still chugs like **** even at lowest settings and resolution. This is a joke I have 2 x 4870's in crossfire and Prototype is running like it's on a **** pocket calculator.
SRagiskrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SRagiskrag
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
im getting the same crappy FPS problem aswell BUT i installed the game on wednesday, ran absolutely fantastic at 1680x1050 4x AA high detail blah blah (only got a 8800GTX + E6600 + 2GB ram) then this is where it gets wierd. i played it wednesday and thursday all hunky dory. Friday i was out all day and ended up not comming back until saturday afternoon where my new keyboard had arrived. nothing fancy just a elixia or something to replace my crappy standard keyboard so i plugged it in and installed the little software package so i could customise the keys abit after which I thought I'd have a little blast on prototype sadly the FPS which was running above 85 at all times is now down to around 15fps even in the menu -_- tried uninstall/reinstall, system restore, removing all keyboard drivers, changing which drive the game is on and nothing worked not much but i thought I'd post my experience here anyway
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts
[QUOTE="SRagiskrag"]im getting the same crappy FPS problem aswell BUT i installed the game on wednesday, ran absolutely fantastic at 1680x1050 4x AA high detail blah blah (only got a 8800GTX + E6600 + 2GB ram) then this is where it gets wierd. i played it wednesday and thursday all hunky dory. Friday i was out all day and ended up not comming back until saturday afternoon where my new keyboard had arrived. nothing fancy just a elixia or something to replace my crappy standard keyboard so i plugged it in and installed the little software package so i could customise the keys abit after which I thought I'd have a little blast on prototype sadly the FPS which was running above 85 at all times is now down to around 15fps even in the menu -_- tried uninstall/reinstall, system restore, removing all keyboard drivers, changing which drive the game is on and nothing worked not much but i thought I'd post my experience here anyway

Ya some devices will completely mess up performance, for instance my wireless headphones completely destroy the experience. I installed a fresh copy of xp and noticed a huge performance boost over my vista 64 and windows 7 64 as well... something is wrong with the game but its possible to get it working under the right conditions.
TerroRizing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TerroRizing
Member since 2007 • 3210 Posts

[QUOTE="MaxiM_"]

ReckHavoc

Well then, you obviously have either a problem with your usb controller, or you do not have a big enough power supply.

Nope, its happening to alot of people in this game. Theres something funky happening with the game code.

xialon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#38 xialon
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

What is the point of saying the game works fine on your computer if your rig contains one of the later models of video cards, processors, and RAM??? You people just come off as snobs.

I played the game, and it would get choppy on the fighting sequences. But, I have heard that the consoles have the same problem. My FRAPS stayed around 25-30 when just running around, but it would get down to 10-15 as soon as the action was going on.

I was suprised, because I could run Crysis perfectly fine despite epic battles. :!:

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

What is the point of saying the game works fine on your computer if your rig contains one of the later models of video cards, processors, and RAM??? You people just come off as snobs.

I played the game, and it would get choppy on the fighting sequences. But, I have heard that the consoles have the same problem. My FRAPS stayed around 25-30 when just running around, but it would get down to 10-15 as soon as the action was going on.

I was suprised, because I could run Crysis perfectly fine despite epic battles. :!:

xialon
That is about the same as mine. but i play at 1440x900.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Running:

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

9800GTX+ 512mb

4gb ram

XP x64 Pro

60+ FPS highest.

SRagiskrag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SRagiskrag
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
quick update, just changed my keyboard back to my old one and the game runs perfect :/ the first game ive ever heard of thats effected by input devices WIERRRDDD
MaxiM_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MaxiM_

Yeah, everyone is baffled by that. I was talking about it with quite a few programmers and they was also intrigued "how did they pull something like that?". Oh well, let's just wait for that patch.

Shoes75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Shoes75

I'm running a 2.8Ghz Dual core Pentium D processor, 4GB ram, Nvidia 9800 GTX on 32bit WinXP

I'm not sure if anyone else has a problem like this,

my game ran fine at 1440x900 with medium shadow, high Texture, 2x AA, when actually in the game playing the character, but the cut scene and menu system run so slow I think I'm playing on a Pentium 1, I tried lowering the all the settings to 800x600, no AA, LOW shadow and texture, and no difference in the menu's, sometimes the cutscenes play fine and other times not, and the game play always works well with good FPS, but the menu's are just so slow, when the text starts going across like someone is typing it I can count a few seconds between each letter typed.

It doesn't make any sense that the game itself runs good, but the menu system is what's running slow.

Hopefully a patch will help, and come out soon.

eriktkire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 eriktkire

this might be a dumb ass move like the developers behind Burnout Paradise Island... the thing about gamepads not working on the PC version of that game... unless it's an official XBox controller. Perhaps the Prototype boys tried doing the same thing and screwed it up royally.

bunta126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bunta126

I had the exact same problem as many people here. The game was running very slowly even though I have a pretty good PC.

I tried disabling HID devices and that did indeed fix the problem a bit but the cutscenes were still choppy and gameplay was still slow.

Anyway, I saw a tip on another site that mentioned Kaspersky. So I paused protection in my Kaspersky Internet Security and now my game runs perfectly smoothly at 1680x1050 with all settings on High!!!

So for me this is PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :D

GTaveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GTaveira

Hi guys, I have an easier solution here, 1) Go To your device manager 2) Uninstall every Human Interface Device you dont need. Only leave the mouse and keyboard 3) Run the game smooooothgekkegast93

The game was running absolutely slow too and then I tried this and now the game is running everything on High and super smooth! Thanks man!

Core2Duo E6550 2.3GHz, 2GB 800MHz Kingston, NVidia GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... Another thing that could be the problem is the game didn't install the directx update.. For some reason when I went onto my friends steam account last night.. And installed the game, the game didn't install its required dx9 updates.. So I had no sound and slow performance, when I updated it everything was smooth.. Currently atm I am using a E4300 @ 2.45ghz, HIS Radeon 4850 1gb, and Crucial 4-4-4-12 DDR 800 2gb ram.. Everything runs smooth.
Guyv3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Guyv3r

I mentioned my frame rate lagging issues on the first page, and after receiving robotic responses from Activsion telling me unplud this, uninstal that, balance a buffalo carcus on my head while loading the game etc etc I eventually gave up and just left the game sitting on my Steam list. The other day I decided to give it one more shot but this time using Windows 7 and it ran maxed out at 1920 x 1080 without even breaking a sweat. It's a pain in the ass switching between 2 operating systems just to play one game but it's better than not enjoying the gameat all. Plus this will tied me over until a patch comes out...if it comes out :|

ursmeloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ursmeloman
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Are there any official solutions yet? On my rig the game doesn't pass 20 fps. Quad Phenom II 925, Veloci, HD5850, 6gigs of ram. It's very annoying.

Fizz111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fizz111
Member since 2006 • 795 Posts

Are there any official solutions yet? On my rig the game doesn't pass 20 fps. Quad Phenom II 925, Veloci, HD5850, 6gigs of ram. It's very annoying.

ursmeloman

Nice bumping an 11 month old topic. Good one, really, applauds for you.