Processing audio over HDMI for NVIDIA card?

#1 Posted by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

Is it possible to send audio to my receiver but not video? My NVIDIA Control Panel thinks my Onkyo receiver is a second display, when really all I want it to do is play the audio. If I disable the Onkyo display in the "Set up multiple display" section of the CP, it no longer shows my Onkyo receiver in the "Set up digital audio" section.

#2 Posted by 04dcarraher (19270 posts) -

Have you went into playback devices in windows and select the receiver as primary/default audio?

#3 Posted by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

Have you went into playback devices in windows and select the receiver as primary/default audio?

As soon as I unselect the receiver from the display devices, the receiver also disappears from the audio selection.

#4 Posted by awax187187 (192 posts) -

No you cant iv always had that same problem with my receiver you just have to have both displays on for it to work

#5 Edited by ChubbyGuy40 (26108 posts) -

How are you set up for connections? DVI for monitor, HDMI to your Onkyo receiver? If you don't have your Onkyo hooked up to a display or can turn the display off, you should be able to just use the mirror/duplicate display option and then select HDMI for audio through Playback Devices.

#6 Edited by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

How are you set up for connections? DVI for monitor, HDMI to your Onkyo receiver? If you don't have your Onkyo hooked up to a display or can turn the display off, you should be able to just use the mirror/duplicate display option and then select HDMI for audio through Playback Devices.

You're correct on my connections. I can't mirror or duplicate the display because my Onkyo receiver is limited to 1080P, so it limits the resolution of U2412M to 1080P as well.

Furthermore, every time I turn off/on my receiver, I have to keep setting my color calibrations on my monitor over and over again.

#7 Edited by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

You're correct on my connections. I can't mirror or duplicate the display because my Onkyo receiver is limited to 1080P, so it limits the resolution of U2412M to 1080P as well.

Furthermore, every time I turn off/on my receiver, I have to keep setting my color calibrations on my monitor over and over again.

You should just be able to run in Extend mode and make sure that the reciever display isn't the primary. I do this all the time with my setup and it doesn't create problems. This is how I run:

The three monitors that are side by side are my Eyefinity config and are running in my cockpit/desk. The fourth monitor that's attached at the corner is a 3D projector in another room that's hooked up through a Yamaha receiver. When the projector is off, the receiver returns its own EDID to the PC, but when I turn the projector on, the audio settings stay the same but he EDID of the device becomes the projector. Since Windows remembers your display configuration based on what combination of displays you have attached, all I have to do is turn on the projector and that becomes my primary display, but when I turn it off that goes back to my center monitor. I leave the display enabled all the time, but if you offset it to a corner then you pretty much eliminate the risk of accidentally dragging a window to it.

In my setup, sometimes a new window might pop up on a screen I'm not sitting in front of because I changed rooms while the PC was on, but then I use keyboard shortcuts to drag it to current or I close and re-open and it'll typically show up on the primary. In your situation, it doesn't sound like you are going to flip your video settings around like I am so you shouldn't really need to do anything. So long as that display is not primary and you place it in a corner, having that extra enabled display shouldn't cause you any problems.

-Byshop

#8 Edited by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@ChubbyGuy40 said:

You should just be able to run in Extend mode and make sure that the reciever display isn't the primary. I do this all the time with my setup and it doesn't create problems. This is how I run:

That's what I'm doing now. I have a few issues with it though...

1) Every time I turn off and on my Onkyo receiver (which is necessary for me to do due to heat), my U2412M Color Calibrations go back to Windows default instead of my calibrated settings, and I have to constantly change it back.

2) Aren't I wasting processing power or memory by having additional screenspace being rendered?

Doesn't seem like NVIDIA is too friendly for diverse HT setups :P

#9 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26108 posts) -

Have you tried mirroring anyway? When I had my TX-SR508 I was able to use my monitor's 2048x1152 resolution still even though it wasn't supported and it still captured the audio. I just couldn't use the receiver's OSD unless I set it to 1080p.

Now that's weird. Do you adjust through the monitor itself or Nvidia's control panel? When I had a 570 I would sometimes get a weird yellowish tint on certain things and it turns out Nvidia didn't like the color profile for my monitor that windows update installed. Solution for that was to either switch Window's default color profile or not install that update at all. So if you got something like Dell Display Manager or other similar software installed it might be overriding your settings. Also had a problem once with an asus laptop that had nvidia where every time we plugged it into an external display it had the same issue as you. Forgot what we did to fix that but I'll see if I can find out what it was.

#10 Posted by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Have you tried mirroring anyway? When I had my TX-SR508 I was able to use my monitor's 2048x1152 resolution still even though it wasn't supported and it still captured the audio. I just couldn't use the receiver's OSD unless I set it to 1080p.

Now that's weird. Do you adjust through the monitor itself or Nvidia's control panel? When I had a 570 I would sometimes get a weird yellowish tint on certain things and it turns out Nvidia didn't like the color profile for my monitor that windows update installed. Solution for that was to either switch Window's default color profile or not install that update at all. So if you got something like Dell Display Manager or other similar software installed it might be overriding your settings. Also had a problem once with an asus laptop that had nvidia where every time we plugged it into an external display it had the same issue as you. Forgot what we did to fix that but I'll see if I can find out what it was.

My color calibrations are done in the Color Management section of the OS Control Panel, so it's on the OS level. There's nothing I can do to color manage from the NVIDIA CP, or at least it's not compatible with my color calibration software (unless I'm missing a place to import them). I've tried mirroring anyways but it instantly brings my monitor from 1200P to 1080P until I revert the settings.

I'm going to keep fiddling around and post the solution if I can find it.

#11 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

@Byshop said:

That's what I'm doing now. I have a few issues with it though...

1) Every time I turn off and on my Onkyo receiver (which is necessary for me to do due to heat), my U2412M Color Calibrations go back to Windows default instead of my calibrated settings, and I have to constantly change it back.

2) Aren't I wasting processing power or memory by having additional screenspace being rendered?

Doesn't seem like NVIDIA is too friendly for diverse HT setups :P

1) Yeah, that (or any display settings re-detect) would be a problem. My solution to that is to just not turn off my receiver. It doesn't really suck much juice when it's not doing anything. I pretty much never turn off any of my receivers. I have not, however, found another solution.

2) Technically I suppose, but it won't have any noticable difference in the performance of your system. Taking away an extended monitor from the pool won't have any impact on something like your FPS.

-Byshop

#12 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26108 posts) -

My color calibrations are done in the Color Management section of the OS Control Panel, so it's on the OS level. There's nothing I can do to color manage from the NVIDIA CP, or at least it's not compatible with my color calibration software (unless I'm missing a place to import them). I've tried mirroring anyways but it instantly brings my monitor from 1200P to 1080P until I revert the settings.

Is it detecting your Onkyo as an HDTV? If so, it probably doesn't have 1200p listed as supported and that's why it's going back to 1080p. If you go to Display->Change Resolution in Nvidia CP, you can manually add it to the Onkyo and then use Window's display options to mirror it. I really can't think of anything else to do. Wish I could help you more but I don't have Nvidia anymore.

#13 Posted by KHAndAnime (13456 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Is it detecting your Onkyo as an HDTV? If so, it probably doesn't have 1200p listed as supported and that's why it's going back to 1080p. If you go to Display->Change Resolution in Nvidia CP, you can manually add it to the Onkyo and then use Window's display options to mirror it. I really can't think of anything else to do. Wish I could help you more but I don't have Nvidia anymore.

It does think my Onkyo receiver is an HDTV. As soon as I clone the display, my custom resolutions disappear :(