Power Supply recommendation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I am building a new rig that would be SLI capable down the road.

I am going for a single GTX 880 for now when it is released.

Since I don't know the power requirements for an 880 I will just use the 780 Ti as an example since I doubt it would go over it by much if at all.

My question is what power supply should I look for if I wanted to power an i7 4770k at 1.3v and 4.5ghz with two GTX 780 ti in SLI which are also overclocked.

I was thinking about going for a Corsair or Seasonic 1000w PSU with 80 amps or more just for some breathing room but I don't know if that would be overkill.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello.

A Corsair AX860 will easily do the job.

For GTX880 power consumption you should look better at GTX770. GTX880 will not be a flagship chip and its rated as 225watt card (from what we know atm...).

edit: The reviewer at guru3D used 505watt for i7 3960X 4.6 GHz (core 1.40V) with 770SLI.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

You would be fine with a 850w gold rated PSU, They say the TDP is around 230w for 880 GTX so it would be in the realm of 770 to 780. A typical system with a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz with two 780Ti's only used at most 660w with Furmark game like Crysis 3 560w. Grabbing a 1k psu would be overkill, however it would allow you to get long life out of the psu with those types of loads for many years.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

i myself got a Corsair AX 860i since its 80+ platinum, and thus verry effecient. and the fan is semi passive. so when browing the web and such its silent.

860w should be enough for what you described. i even think 80 apms 1KW is overkill.. everything seems to go towards a trend of power effeciency anyways..

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RyviusARC

@04dcarraher said:

You would be fine with a 850w gold rated PSU, They say the TDP is around 230w for 880 GTX so it would be in the realm of 770 to 780. A typical system with a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz with two 780Ti's only used at most 660w with Furmark game like Crysis 3 560w. Grabbing a 1k psu would be overkill, however it would allow you to get long life out of the psu with those types of loads for many years.

Well it's only a rumor that that TDP is 230 for an 880 GTX.

Also I want to overclock them by a fair bit kind of like what I did with my GTX 570 when I overclocked it from a core clock of 742mhz to 950mhz.

I guess I will look for an 850w corsair or seasonic PSU but I like to have a little headroom so the PSU doesn't run as hot.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher

@RyviusARC said:

@04dcarraher said:

Well it's only a rumor that that TDP is 230 for an 880 GTX.

Also I want to overclock them by a fair bit kind of like what I did with my GTX 570 when I overclocked it from a core clock of 742mhz to 950mhz.

I guess I will look for an 850w corsair or seasonic PSU but I like to have a little headroom so the PSU doesn't run as hot.

The Corsair AX 860 is a good choice, but you can also pick up a Seasonic X 1250w gold rated full modular PSU for $230 or 1050w version for $180.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@RyviusARC:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RyviusARC

@zaku101 said:

@RyviusARC:

Yah I used that before and it says recommended PSU to be 830w which is cutting it close to for a 850w PSU.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher
@RyviusARC said:

@zaku101 said:

@RyviusARC:

Yah I used that before and it says recommended PSU to be 830w which is cutting it close to for a 850w PSU.

Those PSU calculators dont enter in all factors, you be lucky to use more then 650w with overclocking.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RyviusARC

@04dcarraher said:
@RyviusARC said:

@zaku101 said:

@RyviusARC:

Those PSU calculators dont enter in all factors, you be lucky to use more then 650w with overclocking.

Well originally it was 645w but then I added in the 2 hard drives, PCI sound card, 6 fans, a dvd drive and 6 USB ports in use and the rating bumped up to 732w recommended.......which is weird because it said 830w before.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

@RyviusARC: I have a corsair hx1000 1k watt psu I'm selling on ebay for like 70 bucks lol

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: I have a corsair hx1000 1k watt psu I'm selling on ebay for like 70 bucks lol

How long have you been using it?

Also I noticed you have it priced at 80USD with 16.60USD shipping......so not exactly 70 bucks.

Why are you getting rid of it anyway?

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bangerman15

@RyviusARC: It was in my computer for like 2 and a half years-ish, but half of that time I wasn't even using my pc because I game on all consoles and lost my love for pc gaming. I know. I was going to lower the price a bit tonight to sell it quicker. I'm getting rid of it because I parted out and sold my entire rig's parts. Moving out of state for school and got an msi gt70 dominator dragon edition laptop! So yeah, kind of don't need the psu anymore since I probably won't build again at least for a year or most likely 2. Solid psu though. I always trust corsair with everything lol and at the time it was one of, if not the best 1k psu out. shit was 300 bucks lol

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: It was in my computer for like 2 and a half years-ish, but half of that time I wasn't even using my pc because I game on all consoles and lost my love for pc gaming. I know. I was going to lower the price a bit tonight to sell it quicker. I'm getting rid of it because I parted out and sold my entire rig's parts. Moving out of state for school and got an msi gt70 dominator dragon edition laptop! So yeah, kind of don't need the psu anymore since I probably won't build again at least for a year or most likely 2. Solid psu though. I always trust corsair with everything lol and at the time it was one of, if not the best 1k psu out. shit was 300 bucks lol

Do you know if it is under warranty?

If it was as cheap as you said I would of bought it.

I am just a bit skeptical of buying older used PSUs even if they are good quality ones.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

If you lower the price from 79.99USD to 70USD I will buy it from you this instant.

It will give me a reason to purchase your's over the other similar price ones.

Or you could wait. It's up to you.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bangerman15

@RyviusARC: lowered it. Haha I'm fine with that

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: lowered it. Haha I'm fine with that

And done.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bangerman15

Perfect. I'll send it on out tomorrow morning. One thing less off your list for your rig lol

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

Perfect. I'll send it on out tomorrow morning. One thing less off your list for your rig lol

I just hope it lasts....

I usually don't buy used PSUs but I am trying to keep the cost lower.

Going to test that PSU on one of my current computers to see how it handles it.

Been scraping deals as the time goes by.

Purchased a new Corsair Air 540 Case with an additional 3 120mm Cougar fans for 79USD all together.

Also got a new Noctua NH-D14 heatsink for 55USD when shipping was included.

One of my old budget builds has a cheap 650w BFG power supply in it and it's been running fine for over 5 years now with heavy use.

But I think I got lucky on that one not crapping out yet.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bangerman15

Sounds like you got some pretty decent deals on those other parts as well. I doubt mine will crap out soon. I'm serious look at the reviews for it lol I bought the best I could at the time. It runs pretty cool too for being 1k watts. My last 1k was some random Chinese brand one that sucked. You can tell this one is super heavy duty lol. That's a pretty nice case you got too. You should just go full corsair everything! I know their ram is good and I put a corsair force lx ssd in my laptop. They're one of my favorite companies haha no vengeance kb/m though

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

Sounds like you got some pretty decent deals on those other parts as well. I doubt mine will crap out soon. I'm serious look at the reviews for it lol I bought the best I could at the time. It runs pretty cool too for being 1k watts. My last 1k was some random Chinese brand one that sucked. You can tell this one is super heavy duty lol. That's a pretty nice case you got too. You should just go full corsair everything! I know their ram is good and I put a corsair force lx ssd in my laptop. They're one of my favorite companies haha no vengeance kb/m though

BTW I see you live in Southern California. I live in the Valley....god I hate the bad air and heat.

Such a bad drought this year that they are fining people for using water carelessly which usually ends up being 500USD or more.

I will move out of California one day but it will probably be when I retire.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Corsair TX750
Corsair RM750
Corsair AX860
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
EVGA SuperNova 850 G2
Antec GCG 750M
Antec EA-750 PLATINUM
Cooler Master GXII RS750
Cooler Master V750

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bangerman15

@RyviusARC bad air yes and heat isn't so bad. I'm moving to phoenix in less than a week though so the heat there will be a lot worse.

Oh yeah that damn water pipe bursting by ucla shooting thousands of gallons of water into the street didn't help either. I think part of the drought also is because it's overcrowded and heck everyone here wants perfect lawns and gardens yet they don't realize we're technically in a desert lol.

Same here. Too expensive for me.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC bad air yes and heat isn't so bad. I'm moving to phoenix in less than a week though so the heat there will be a lot worse.

Oh yeah that damn water pipe bursting by ucla shooting thousands of gallons of water into the street didn't help either. I think part of the drought also is because it's overcrowded and heck everyone here wants perfect lawns and gardens yet they don't realize we're technically in a desert lol.

Same here. Too expensive for me.

BTW this is a long shot I know but do you still have proof of purchase for your corsair power supply.

I was going to try and keep it for the warranty but I understand if you don't have it.

Usually even a invoice will work if you purchased it online.

Since the warranty is for 5 years after the purchase date it should still be under warranty.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bangerman15

@RyviusARC: Oh wow what are the chances of that? I went to go check my little box I keep for electronic receipts for warranties and It was the first one. I thought I didn't have it either, but I'll ship it in the box.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: Oh wow what are the chances of that? I went to go check my little box I keep for electronic receipts for warranties and It was the first one. I thought I didn't have it either, but I'll ship it in the box.

Thanks a lot for that.

You rock!

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bangerman15

@RyviusARC: I know

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

I am building a new rig that would be SLI capable down the road.

I am going for a single GTX 880 for now when it is released.

Since I don't know the power requirements for an 880 I will just use the 780 Ti as an example since I doubt it would go over it by much if at all.

My question is what power supply should I look for if I wanted to power an i7 4770k at 1.3v and 4.5ghz with two GTX 780 ti in SLI which are also overclocked.

I was thinking about going for a Corsair or Seasonic 1000w PSU with 80 amps or more just for some breathing room but I don't know if that would be overkill.

Grab the 1000Watts just to be mind free and don't forget PSU capacity is going down by the years.

You could get a 850-900Watts and be totally fine with it as well.

I can recommend on Corsair, SeaSonic, Silverstone and Antec (you may go as well with CoolerMaster, Thermaltake, EVGA)

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: I know

Just received the power supply.

The was some nice shipping speed.

Once I get all of my other parts that I ordered I will test it out.

And if it doesn't work I will just RMA it since you were kind enough to give me the receipt.

Good thing I got the Corsair Air 540 case because this power supply is extra long.

It's funny how all of my stuff is from two companies.

Corsair for the Case, Power Supply and RAM.

Asus for the Motherboard, Graphics card and sound card.

The only other things I have from different companies is the Noctua NH-D14 and the 2x1TB WD Blues I picked up for 45USD each new.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

If this is the old corsair HX series 1000w then you got a great PSU although it might have an average performance for today's standards, its from the PSUs that I never heard to have any problem. It was a marvel of Channel Well Tech.

Have fun :)

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bangerman15

@RyviusARC: well they are both two good quality power supplies and I know when they told me it would get there Thursday I was like wow that's fast. have fun building and hopefully nothing arrives doa! There's always that small chance with massively produced parts. >_<

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RyviusARC

@Bangerman15 said:

@RyviusARC: well they are both two good quality power supplies and I know when they told me it would get there Thursday I was like wow that's fast. have fun building and hopefully nothing arrives doa! There's always that small chance with massively produced parts. >_<

Well I am lucky since I've been making PC builds since the 90s and only have come across 1 bad hard drive, a monitor that went bad after 3 years and a power supply that died after 4 years of use but was replaced for free.

I am hoping my monitor comes through with no problems because I ordered a cheap korean Qnix 27' 2560x1440 monitor for 240USD with 10USD shipping and the person said it had no dead pixels or anything wrong with it and it overclocked to 120hz without a problem.