Power supply makes ticking noise on start up

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PIGONSTEROIDZ
Member since 2014 • 96 Posts

Just a quick question, my PC has always made a ticking noise on start up and will stay for half an hour then go until i restart it. I have unplugged the hard drive, pressed the middle of fans around the case and it seems to be coming from the power supply, a friend who works with computers confirmed this for me and said the sound was nothing to worry about, however I just wanted to get a second opinion from you guys. The ticking sounds exactly like a clock, it will start quiet then get loud and faster until half an hour when it goes and the PC's fans seem to get louder after the ticking has stopped. This does not seem to effect performance at all, it is quite irritating though, so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Nvidia geforce 980 (standard model)

I7 4790k

windows 8.1

16gb ram

asus 79ZI plus motherboard

I am not sure of the exact model of the power supply, it the standard one that comes with the EVGA hadron air

I have found a forum and seen this is a common problem with this psu, do you guys think it is worth sending back?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

It could just be the unit expanding as it heats up, I had one that did that about 5 years ago.