Plasma TV for PC gaming....burn-in still an issue?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

I'm considering getting a new Plasma TV this weekend. It will be for both regular tv/movies and maybe games as well.

Is burn-in still an issue and how can you avoid it?

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (6536 posts) -

Whats burn in? I use a HDTV for all my gaming now btw, dumped monitor.

#3 Edited by KHAndAnime (13095 posts) -

I use a 42" Panasonic Plasma for regular PC use and there's no burn-in issue.

#4 Edited by FelipeInside (24969 posts) -

Whats burn in? I use a HDTV for all my gaming now btw, dumped monitor.

Plasmas used to have this issue.

TC, I would suggest an LCD for PC use but if ur set on using a Plasma, get a good brand one, because the lower priced ones use low quality plasma screens and that's where you get burn-ins.

#5 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

I'm considering getting a new Plasma TV this weekend. It will be for both regular tv/movies and maybe games as well.

no, burn in is not still an issue...HOWEVER...

YES long term, short term, and quick onset image retention is still an issue. all are common, even on TVs that were broken in for 200 hours prior to use. KHAndAnime is going to try and come in here and say it isnt.... but it is. do your own research and you will see that it is.

eventually, IR will go away, but for the severe cases it can take months even if you are using slides or a pixel flipper every night. for gaming and use with a PC.... do NOT buy a plasma.

basically, if you are never going to have anything static on the screen for long periods of time (completely impossible) go with a plasma. if you are going to have static images on the screen like UIs for games, icons and such for desktop, logos for TV stations... go with a high end LED TV.

#6 Edited by KHAndAnime (13095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@BSC14 said:

YES long term, short term, and quick onset image retention is still an issue.

eventually, IR will go away, but for the severe cases it can take months even if you are using slides or a pixel flipper every night. for gaming and use with a PC.... do NOT buy a plasma.

basically, if you are never going to have anything static on the screen for long periods of time (completely impossible) go with a plasma. if you are going to have static images on the screen like UIs for games, icons and such for desktop, logos for TV stations... go with a high end LED TV.

I have no issues with IR on my Plasma. In fact, all recently made Plasma TVs are relatively good about having little to no IR. Hell, I own 3 Plasma TVs and haven't experienced IR on any of them. Been using my 2009 Panasonic Plasma for a year with one of my PCs and haven't even experienced IR once (nor any times before that). My 2011 Panasonic Plasma is used almost exclusively for sports (which has LOTS of static imaging) - there's absolutely ZERO image retention after watching a game. I've also never seen IR on my 2013 Panasonic set.

I think once I watched a DVD on my 2011 Plasma and it was left on a static DVD menu screen overnight (carelessly by my GF) - using the built-in IR screen-saver the IR went away in 3 minutes. IR is non-issue at this point (unless you abuse your Plasma's brightness settings).

#7 Posted by valium88 (4455 posts) -

I use a 50" Plasma LG at 1080p and has done so the past two years, no problem whatsoever. I only notice it if the picture is still over time but it goes away almost immediately. It works for me at least.

#8 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@BSC14 said:

I have no issues with IR on my Plasma. In fact, all recently made Plasma TVs are relatively good about having little to no IR. Hell, I own 3 Plasma TVs and haven't experienced IR on any of them. Been using my 2009 Panasonic Plasma for a year with one of my PCs and haven't even experienced IR once (nor any times before that). My 2011 Panasonic Plasma is used almost exclusively for sports (which has LOTS of static imaging) - there's absolutely ZERO image retention after watching a game. I've also never seen IR on my 2013 Panasonic set.

I think once I watched a DVD on my 2011 Plasma and it was left on a static DVD menu screen overnight (carelessly by my GF) - using the built-in IR screen-saver the IR went away in 3 minutes. IR is non-issue at this point (unless you abuse your Plasma's brightness settings).

did i call it or what OP?

go ahead and just bypass this entire post. IR is still an issue on plasmas.

as to the "unless you abused your plasmas brightness settings" comment.... a contrast of 70, brightness of 56, and gamma of 2.4 is not abusive. it is, infact, the calibrated recommended normal viewing setting for the ST line of panasonic plasmas (with some margin of error for each individual TV).

#9 Posted by KHAndAnime (13095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Geminon said:

@BSC14 said:

did i call it or what OP?

go ahead and just bypass this entire post. IR is still an issue on plasmas.

as to the "unless you abused your plasmas brightness settings" comment.... a contrast of 70, brightness of 56, and gamma of 2.4 is not abusive. it is, infact, the calibrated recommended normal viewing setting for the ST line of panasonic plasmas (with some margin of error for each individual TV).

It's such a huge issue that you're the only one here claiming they have significant IR issues. They really don't. That's why you're one of the few who think otherwise.

#10 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

all my hd tvs have been plasmas but there is burn in and if you say there isn't your blind or a liar.

i have a 2005 plasma made by samsung, its 42 inches and is incredible quality of colors and depth on it, but of all my tvs it burns an image in the fastest, i can hit pause on something just for a few seconds and the image will be there for a bit after but it goes away usually, but some tv logos are perma burned into the bottom right of the screen.

I have a newer 50 inch Panasonic plasma, this tv was interesting, I never noticed much burn in, even after pausing or having my windows desktop on it for a few minutes at a time... but its quality was not quite as good as the older samsung

My current plasma i use actively is a 60 inch Panasonic, this thing is probably equal in color quality to my older samsung, but it burns in images much faster then the 50 inch I used to use.

Pretty much, there is burn in, and it happens faster the brighter you have things set at, but don't let that scare you, for the most part it goes away fairly quickly except the hellish logos for networks, those can be a problem. I have a perma CNN logo on my old Samsung plasma which is bad, but mostly only visible watching bright white tv things like hockey games or such.

To avoid burn in, just don't let a bright image stay in one spot for extended periods of time, try to watch different types of things to help flush out the colors on the tv. Even the worst burn ins are hard to really notice unless your at a really bright screen and looking closely for it. Just don't pause images in 1 spot for more then 5 minutes on a regular basis with your tv.

#11 Edited by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

being that if I use it for games it will be WoW and other MMOs and I would have the UI on the screen a lot...LED might be the way to go.

#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (13095 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

being that if I use it for games it will be WoW and other MMOs and I would have the UI on the screen a lot...LED might be the way to go.

If you are playing WoW for hours on end - LED would be the way to go.

#13 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

Burn-in's haven't been an issue since the first 2-3 years Plasma TVs hit the market. And it certainly isn't an issue with today's plasma hdtvs. It's called image retention and it goes away. Image retention =/= burn-in. Okay, bye!

#14 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

Burn-in's haven't been an issue since the first 2-3 years Plasma TVs hit the market. And it certainly isn't an issue with today's plasma hdtvs. It's called image retention and it goes away. Image retention =/= burn-in. Okay, bye!

was anyone arguing this? OKAY, BYE!

#15 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

It was the TC's question. I explained it. Comprehension much?

TC's original post:

"I'm considering getting a new Plasma TV this weekend. It will be for both regular tv/movies and maybe games as well.

Is burn-in still an issue and how can you avoid it?"

#16 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

TC's original post:

"I'm considering getting a new Plasma TV this weekend. It will be for both regular tv/movies and maybe games as well.

asked and answered like 4 times....

#17 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

TC's original post:

Okay... went back read the posts between you and KH, and I get it.. you feel ignored. (Pats back). You'll be alright.

#18 Posted by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

TC's original post:

Unfortunately I'm getting different answers. :)

That said I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with LED. Thanks everyone.

#19 Posted by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

OK so I'm going with LED but I'm on a budget. :) Drama in my life lately has caused me to move and I need a TV....so this is the TV I'm looking at, at the moment.

VIZIO - E-Series - 50" Class (50" Diag.) - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - Smart - HDTV

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/e-series-50-class-50-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/7171064.p?id=1218832133028&skuId=7171064&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=5

I know it's Vizio but it has gotten pretty darn good reviews for it's good black levels, smart content and good brightness.

What do you think?

#20 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

OK so I'm going with LED but I'm on a budget. :) Drama in my life lately has caused me to move and I need a TV....so this is the TV I'm looking at, at the moment.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/e-series-50-class-50-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/7171064.p?id=1218832133028&skuId=7171064&st=categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=5

I know it's Vizio but it has gotten pretty darn good reviews for it's good black levels, smart content and good brightness.

What do you think?

I'd still grab the latest Panansonic Plasma HDTV. They will no longer manufacture them beyond 2013 and Panasonic has the best black levels. For gaming, they're simply the best and for movies, they are equal to, if not better than most. That Vizio is decent, but Vizio has barely, and I mean barely gotten "better." I wouldn't count on it to be something you'd want to on for the next 5 years. I'd still go with Panasonic.

#21 Posted by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

What do you think?

I'd still grab the latest Panansonic Plasma HDTV. They will no longer manufacture them beyond 2013 and Panasonic has the best black levels. For gaming, they're simply the best and for movies, they are equal to, if not better than most. That Vizio is decent, but Vizio has barely, and I mean barely gotten "better." I wouldn't count on it to be something you'd want to on for the next 5 years. I'd still go with Panasonic.

I really would love to go plasma but like I said, there is a good chance that I could have a lot of static images on the screen for long periods of time. But I love the PQ on Plasma.

#22 Posted by Jacanuk (3470 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

Plasma for gaming is bad, if i were you i would buy a LCD if i had to use a "big" screen for pc gaming.

#23 Edited by WESTBLADE (271 posts) -

Get a LED TV. I have myself a 55'' SAMSUNG 3D LED TV, which i use exclusively as a monitor and it's amazing. I sit 3 feets away and no problems here, and gaming in 3D is stunning if game supports it well (playing Assetto Corsa BETA and Injustice in 3D right now)...

#24 Edited by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

Any more opinions of the Vizio TV?

Thanks for the replies guys....

#25 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -

I couldn't find the 1080p Panasonic 42'' so i just went with an LG LCD

#26 Posted by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

@Geminon said:

@Elann2008 said:

TC's original post:

Unfortunately I'm getting different answers. :)

That said I'm pretty sure I'll just stick with LED. Thanks everyone.

just buy an LEDTV.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWKBZ0M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FL2S4WI20H6F&coliid=I1BRMMV3LQA59P

that is the best LED TV you can buy for gaming.... or anything right now. it will provide the lowest response time and the best picture quality of any LED TV on the market.

#27 Posted by BSC14 (3497 posts) -

Well I got a new 50" LED.....

Sharp LC-50LE650U

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aquos-50-class-49-1-2-diag--led-1080p-120hz-smart-hdtv/1308126898.p?id=mp1308126898&skuId=1308126898&st=Sharp LC-50LE650U&cp=1&lp=1

It was normally $750 but because it was up on the wall and the last one I got it for $420. It had no issues that I could see and after messing with the settings it was looking pretty darn nice in a very short time....looking forward to really digging into the settings and getting it to look as best it can. Not the best TV for sure but considering it's a 50" LED....for $420 I'm not too concerned.