Plasma burn in a real worry?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

icey6ch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 icey6ch9
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
Ive been looking around for a new tv. I currently have some sharp 26 inch and its horrible. The picture quality is crap and motion blur is rediculous. So i was thinging about trying a plasma TV but i do like to play games and i am a little worried about burn ins. Are burn ins a real risk or are the over exaterated? Should i just stick to LCD? Picture quality is my main concern because i like to watch blu rays and dvds as well as HD programming.
DahlVaughnni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DahlVaughnni
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts
LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.
xXXGODFATHAXXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xXXGODFATHAXXx
Member since 2008 • 157 Posts
lol at the guy above, you no nothing about tvs, you should NEVER sit by any tv really but the bearable ones to sit by are plasma,crt and Dlp, i think lcd are the worst when right by them, you can see the pixels wether on plasma its more fuzzy but still bearable at least. lol learn your facts man. and dont argue back i know this stuff im an isf calibrator and i also repair tvs for a living.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

I agree that plasmas are 100% better for viewing angles and that DahlVaughnni is sorely mistaken.

In terms of Burn-In, it seems to be widely accepted that it is a thing of the past, but depending on the make and model or price point of the TV that may not be the case. What is prevalent in all plasmas is Image Retention, which is somewhat similar to Burn-In, but it's not permanent, or so they say.

If you do get IR it can be removed by watching some TV, or at least changing the game you are playing. My experience with this has been that IR isn't going away, I still have the "score" portion of Rock Band on my plasma and it ain't going away. Thankfully it's in the top right portion of the screen and nearly impossible to see, unless there is a white background on-screen and if I tell you where to look.

Aside from that plasma is a wicked technology that has the best picture around.

Boxcutters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Boxcutters
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts

You can get burnin with CRTS, DLP, and even LCDS

Most new plasmas are equppied with pixel shifting so it's a thing of the past.

DahlVaughnni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DahlVaughnni
Member since 2005 • 702 Posts

lol at the guy above, you no nothing about tvs, you should NEVER sit by any tv really but the bearable ones to sit by are plasma,crt and Dlp, i think lcd are the worst when right by them, you can see the pixels wether on plasma its more fuzzy but still bearable at least. lol learn your facts man. and dont argue back i know this stuff im an isf calibrator and i also repair tvs for a living.xXXGODFATHAXXx

"you no nothing" proves you aren't involved in any sort of profession. Read a book before you make an arguement.

Anyone who disagrees with my post is just plain wrong, I'm sitting next to a 46" LCD tv right now. Looking at it from the side is as clear as looking at a poster from the side, there is no diminished picture quality. I don't care what you, or any tv specs say, I know what I am looking at RIGHT NOW.

I have had this tv for quite awhile now, and there are no burn-ins, and everything is as it was when it was brand new.

You can do all the research you want on TVs, but if I can see plain as day what I am backing up here, then there's no arguement you can possibly come up with to wrong me. I'm looking at the proof, I am right and you are wrong. Sorry.

Who knows? maybe not all LCDs are like this, but this is a couple of years old, so I'm sure you can pick it up for pretty cheap by now, and functions perfectly with a 180 degree viewing angle, crystal clear, burn-in free, and is even immune to direct sunlight hampering the image, each pixel automatically adjusts so that you get a clear consistent image.

Try looking at an LCD before you rave about how great plasma TVs are. Plasma is trash.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="xXXGODFATHAXXx"]lol at the guy above, you no nothing about tvs, you should NEVER sit by any tv really but the bearable ones to sit by are plasma,crt and Dlp, i think lcd are the worst when right by them, you can see the pixels wether on plasma its more fuzzy but still bearable at least. lol learn your facts man. and dont argue back i know this stuff im an isf calibrator and i also repair tvs for a living.DahlVaughnni

"you no nothing" proves you aren't involved in any sort of profession. Read a book before you make an arguement.

Anyone who disagrees with my post is just plain wrong, I'm sitting next to a 46" LCD tv right now. Looking at it from the side is as clear as looking at a poster from the side, there is no diminished picture quality. I don't care what you, or any tv specs say, I know what I am looking at RIGHT NOW.

I have had this tv for quite awhile now, and there are no burn-ins, and everything is as it was when it was brand new.

You can do all the research you want on TVs, but if I can see plain as day what I am backing up here, then there's no arguement you can possibly come up with to wrong me. I'm looking at the proof, I am right and you are wrong. Sorry.

Who knows? maybe not all LCDs are like this, but this is a couple of years old, so I'm sure you can pick it up for pretty cheap by now, and functions perfectly with a 180 degree viewing angle, crystal clear, burn-in free, and is even immune to direct sunlight hampering the image, each pixel automatically adjusts so that you get a clear consistent image.

Try looking at an LCD before you rave about how great plasma TVs are. Plasma is trash.

Fair enough about your viewing angles, and yes not all TVs are the same, but I personally never said you are wrong about viewing angles, I just said that plasmas have better ones.

Also, calling someone out on a spelling mistake and claiming that is a reason for not knowing anything is just as stupid as a flat out wrong statement of "Plasma is trash".

I've seen my dair share of LCDs and yes they have a great picture, but in my opinion (the only one that matters) plasmas, specifically mine look better than any LCD currently on the market.

icey6ch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 icey6ch9
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
ok so lcd or plasma for movies / tv / and i do have a ps3 so some gaming. I want the best picture i can get.
Boxcutters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Boxcutters
Member since 2007 • 850 Posts
plasma is better, lcds have ghosting issues, dim colors, bad viewing angles, etc. etc.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

There is always potential for burn-in, but you really have to try hard to do it. Just use a small amount of common sense and you and your plasma tv will be just fine. Start with getting a quality plasma tv and not some cheap brand. Then turn down the brightness and contrast to reasonable levels. Dont leave paused images on screen for hours and hours at a time.

The quality picture i get from plasma quickly negated any fear i had on burn-in. I have been gaming heavily on my panasonic plasma for 2 years with no problems. I cant stand all the problems with LCD displays..they look great at the store, but when you get them home the image quality just falls apart and you start to notice all the flaws, like pixelization, low black, poor contrast, too bright of a screen, etc.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts

There is always potential for burn-in, but you really have to try hard to do it. Just use a small amount of common sense and you and your plasma tv will be just fine. Start with getting a quality plasma tv and not some cheap brand. Then turn down the brightness and contrast to reasonable levels. Dont leave paused images on screen for hours and hours at a time.

The quality picture i get from plasma quickly negated any fear i had on burn-in. I have been gaming heavily on my panasonic plasma for 2 years with no problems. I cant stand all the problems with LCD displays..they look great at the store, but when you get them home the image quality just falls apart and you start to notice all the flaws, like pixelization, low black, poor contrast, too bright of a screen, etc.

Videodogg

There is only potential if you leave it on one static image for 60 days... I game all the time... and one night I left my plasma on all night with a dvd menu on the screen. The next morning I had a little image retention that went away after watching just a few minutes of TV. Burn-in is a thing of the past.... This should be common knowledge by now.

If you do get burn-in than you must have bought a lemon... And I feel sorry for you.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
CRT is still the best tech, to bad people doesn't like fat tvs... o well....
jesseandnikki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13 jesseandnikki
Member since 2004 • 4834 Posts

You can get burnin with CRTS, DLP, and even LCDS

Most new plasmas are equppied with pixel shifting so it's a thing of the past.

Boxcutters

Actually, it's impossible to get a burn-in on a DLP.

DataDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 DataDream
Member since 2004 • 3195 Posts

LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.DahlVaughnni

LOL - that's actually just the oposite - Plasma is considered MUCH better from side viewing angles than LCD.

To the original poster...

Plasma burn in will only occur on new sets if you leave a paused image on the screen. So if you get up for a break turn the TV off and whala - no burn in! At least with newer models. The newer models of Plasmas - especially Panasonic and Pioneer have built in tech to help prevent burn in and it is pretty much a thing of the past. LCD fanboys still like to cite burn in - and that makes them comfortable with their decision to purchase LCD over Plasma.

However in nearly every high end application Plasma outperforms LCD and has a better image quality than LCD (black Levels, response times, etc...), but the real draw back is that Plasma costs more than LCD for the consumer. Most people aren't able to justify the minute detail differences between the two technologies in relation to the price difference.

But if money isn't an issue - Plasma is the better technology hands down.

Don't believe me?

I have two things for you to look into - why are companies who produce both Plasma and LCD TV's (Such as Panasonic) - consider their Plasma displays to be the "Elite" or "Enthusiast" panel and LCD the standard?

Secondly go to any BestBuy and look at their High End A/V room - probably a Magnolia Video partner. All you have to do is count how many Plasmas versus LCD's are in that room and there's your answer as to which technology is superior. AGAIN though most people can't justify spending an extra $1000 on a Plasma TV when the LCD cost so much less. There is a reason for that.

Anyway - look at both technologies and if money doesn't matter then get the best plasma you can afford.

If money does matter for this purchase then definitely stick with LCD as you will be able to get a bigger screen for the same cost.

I'm sure I will catch flack for this and yes it is all my opion (sort of).

Again - Panasonic is a good source for info on this debate since they produce both types of TV's and have an article detailing the advantages of Plasma over LCD.

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts

LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.DahlVaughnni

HAHAHAH this guy has no idea what he is talking about. viewing angles have always been better on PLASMAs, blacks have always been better on plasmas.

yes lcds are catching up, but they are not quite there yet, and when i say LCDS i MEAN LEDs. the best tv i have owned so far was my HD-CRT, then my plasma, then my lcds.

anyways heres a well known A/V mag talking about viewing angles.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/779/plasma-vs-lcd-round-ii-contrast-and-bottom-line-page4.html

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="DahlVaughnni"]LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.DataDream

Plasma burn in will only occur on new sets if you leave a paused image on the screen. So if you get up for a break turn the TV off and whala - no burn in! At least with newer models. The newer models of Plasmas - especially Panasonic and Pioneer have built in tech to help prevent burn in and it is pretty much a thing of the past. LCD fanboys still like to cite burn in - and that makes them comfortable with their decision to purchase LCD over Plasma.

However in nearly every high end application Plasma outperforms LCD and has a better image quality than LCD (black Levels, response times, etc...), but the real draw back is that Plasma costs more than LCD for the consumer. Most people aren't able to justify the minute detail differences between the two technologies in relation to the price difference.

But it is important to note that a "paused" image, or more accurate, a static image like in videogames can and will leave their impression on the screen. And it can happen with a sensible viewing practice despite the anti image retention methods the companies put in place.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 boyinfridge
Member since 2006 • 1796 Posts
[QUOTE="DataDream"]

[QUOTE="DahlVaughnni"]LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.Large_Soda

But it is important to note that a "paused" image, or more accurate, a static image like in videogames can and will leave their impression on the screen. And it can happen with a sensible viewing practice despite the anti image retention methods the companies put in place.

I game on my Plasma all the time and since I have had it calibrated I haven't seen any signs if retention or anything, but before that I did get slight IR but a cut scene would soon wipe it away in seconds

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="DataDream"]

[QUOTE="DahlVaughnni"]LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.boyinfridge

I game on my Plasma all the time and since I have had it calibrated I haven't seen any signs if retention or anything, but before that I did get slight IR but a cut scene would soon wipe it away in seconds

Well results vary then.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 boyinfridge
[QUOTE="boyinfridge"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="DataDream"]

[QUOTE="DahlVaughnni"]LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.Large_Soda

Well results vary then.

yeah I agree I think if you get your set calibrated you have a lot less to worry about with both LCD and Plasma but that said not a lot of people go to the trouble of calibration as it is often expensive but is really worth it.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="boyinfridge"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="DataDream"]

[QUOTE="DahlVaughnni"]LCD for picture quality. If you're sitting even on a slight angle, a plasma will hinder your clarity, while with an LCD you could be sitting almost beside it, and it will still be crystal clear.boyinfridge

Well results vary then.

yeah I agree I think if you get your set calibrated you have a lot less to worry about with both LCD and Plasma but that said not a lot of people go to the trouble of calibration as it is often expensive but is really worth it.

Well my TV is THX certified and has a THX option for the video, so it was basically already calibrated in terms of settings. I'm sure I can get the IR over and done with after some tweaking.

efflux02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 efflux02
Member since 2008 • 219 Posts

Plasma is trash.

DahlVaughnni

Why.. because you bought an LCD? You lost all credibility there man... nobody wants to listen to some A/V fanboy talk about something he knows nothing about.

You fail miserably.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 boyinfridge

Well my TV is THX certified and has a THX option for the video, so it was basically already calibrated in terms of settings. I'm sure I can get the IR over and done with after some tweaking.

is that the PZ800?

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Large_Soda

boyinfridge

is that the PZ800?

Yeah.

boyinfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 boyinfridge
[QUOTE="boyinfridge"]

Large_Soda

is that the PZ800?

Yeah.

Nice! is there a real noticeable difference when you turn the THX option on.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="boyinfridge"]

boyinfridge

is that the PZ800?

Yeah.

Nice! is there a real noticeable difference when you turn the THX option on.

When I compare the THX setting to any of the others it is clearly the best "default" option, so I have left it as is, with the exception of bumping up the brightness a bit.