Link to patch notes.
- 4th continent, Hossin released
- Hossin is not 100% completed but instead of waiting another few months to complete every single one of the 80 bases and then spend another 2-3 months to rework bases that weren't the greatest, they've decided to launch it live, observe how well the bases work, how players interact with the bases, and then finish and adjust all of them.
- Ability to lock continents when one faction owns 94% of the territory.
- First real victory condition. Continent provides a 50% (up from only 10%) reduction to the cost of a certain class of vehicle or a 25% XP boost to the faction that wins. Nobody can capture bases on a continent after one has been locked. Can only be unlocked when another continent is locked.
- Outfit base capture
- Outtfit emblems are now displayed over bases that have been captured by the outfit. In the future they will also provide bonuses to the outfit members at the bases the outfit help capture.
- Outfit recruitment tool.
- You can now browse and join Outfits through a special menu. Useful for new players to find a group of people to play with.
- Lots of little bug fixes and tweaks.
Overall pretty solid patch. A few bugs here and there that should be ironed out in a patch tomorrow, but the game is far from unplayable.
If you haven't logged into Planetside 2 for awhile I suggest you check it out, find an outfit with the tool, and get playing.
This summer we still have a new aircraft to look forward too as well as improvements to a lot of the weapon balancing, some new weapons, and further improvements to all four continents. Eventually we'll see the continental lattice which links all 4 continents + 3 battle islands together in a meaningful way where all of the content is now connected. That is hopefully coming before the end of the year.
Also before the end of the year they should be working on the resource revamp which will introduce some light RTS resource elements into the game. You can now run supplies to the front line or out siege your opponent instead of just killing them all and capturing the point. It will also allow people to play a defined role longer and increase the penalty of losing a vehicle or wasting explosives as now you're going to be taking resources from your entire faction in the area which can weaken your overall position. In other words some real metagame is coming.