Pillars of Eternity question....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I'm really burnt out on FPS and MMOs and was considering Pillars of Eternity .

Question though...is there a ton of reading involved and how steep is the learning curve?

Thanks for any help....

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@BSC14: That's a really good question. I'm going to ask the reviewer to see what he has to say.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

Lots of reading indeed! Pillars of Eternity has *some* voice acting, but it is inconsistently used, so you will be reading the majority of the story--and there is a lot of it, even more reading than most role-playing games, I would say, some of it required, and some of it optional. As for the learning curve, it depends on whether you have played Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, or another party-based isometric RPG of this sort. If you have, you will be moving along in no time, once you become used to the endurance system. If you haven't, it will probably take you time to get used to this particular brand of combat. When in doubt, once combat begins, pause often and consider where you should position each character, and remember that with each party member, you can queue up commands by holding the shift key when you issue them.

I wouldn't say the the combat is overly demanding, however; Pillars of Eternity, on the whole, isn't as difficult as, say, Icewind Dale. I'm willing to bet you will have a lot of fun.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It doesn't have a very big learning curve imo. Did you ever play Baldurs Gate games or Icewind Dale games at all?

There is a good amount of reading yes, but there is also a good amount of voice work to on the important aspects.

Wonderful writing (dialogue, characters and story), gorgeous art design, fun tactical combat and a great soundtrack.

For me personally its the best rpg of the last 10+ years. As much fun as I had with Divinity and Wasteland 2 last year, I find Pillars to be the best of the crpg revivals.

Mainly because of the quality of writing and art design I found a good deal better than in the ones mentioned above.

The game can take anywhere from 50- 150 hours to beat, depending on how many side quests you want to do and how much of the dialogue you want to read.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BSC14

How similar is this game to say divinity Original Sin?

And thanks for the feedback guys.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Pillars is more story oriented and has combat that you can pause at anytime (while Divinity has 100% turnbased combat).

For me personally Divinity has the coop and turn based combat, Pillars has far better writing though and real time combat that you can pause anytime (think of Dragon Age Origins or Icewind Dale). They are both old school crpgs but they both are quite different in how they deliver the goods.

I have some friends who loved them both (like me), but I also have some friends who disliked Divinity but are having fun with Pillars.

I found Divinity to bring back memories of ULTIMA series and Divine Divinity, where as Pillars brings back more memories from Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale.

One more thing for me atleast, Divinity has more puzzles if that matters to you at all, while Pillars does its characters better.

Anyways, just my two cents

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BSC14 said:

I'm really burnt out on FPS and MMOs and was considering Pillars of Eternity .

Question though...is there a ton of reading involved and how steep is the learning curve?

Thanks for any help....

Yep tons of reading but treat it like reading an interactive book and you won't notice.

A bit of a learning curve if you haven't played old school RPGs before (like Baldurs, Icewind Dale etc), but not so much that you won't learn.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BSC14

Well I bought it...hope it's good.

I'm so tired of the same stuff....

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BSC14 said:

Well I bought it...hope it's good.

I'm so tired of the same stuff....

Don't hope, it IS good :)

Also have a look at SWORD COAST LEGENDS

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BSC14

Any particular class that's really enjoyable?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

@BSC14: I like Ciphers. They've got a great range of damage, protection and crowd control spells; they don't need to rest very often; and they can be useful in any position in rhe party.

Meanwhile, I've heard that Barbarians are quite overpowered. That could also be fun.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'd suggest Divinity OS first and if you like it, grab pilars later.