Picture Guide to Computer Building and Hardware Installation (56K)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by mattpunkgd (2198 posts) -
I love you.
#52 Posted by waitaseck (2309 posts) -
This made me want to build my own rig :O. I'm looking up hardware as we speak.
#54 Posted by dan-rofl-copter (2702 posts) -

Great stuff, might be building a new PC and this will really help.

#55 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"](10) Front Panel Wiring The final step of building your rig before powering it up can be a little tricky to a beginner, but well labeled motherboards and front panel wires will help this part along greatly. Now pretty much every case comes with 4 things on the front panel, headphone/mic jacks, USB ports, power switch, and reset switch. I'll start out with wiring the audio jacks in the front, luckily everything is well labeled. HD Audio wire  Plugs into the F(ront)_Audio header on the motherboard, near the audio outputs on the back of the motherboard/case  The USB wire  Plugs into the motherboard's F_USB header, just under the graphics card (but location may vary for you)  Now for the power switch, reset switch, front power LED, and hard drive activity LED cables. This is wear a well labeled motherboard comes in handy since it will hopefully tell you witch of the front panel pins are for which wire and what the positive and negative allignments are for them. A rule of thumb on the positive and negative configurations of the wires is that the colored wire is pretty much always positive, while the white wire is pretty much always negative.    And that's it! Congratualtions. Now replace the case's side panel and get the computer ready for use by pluggin in the power cord, keyboard/mouse, monitor, speakers, and whatever else you like. Make sure the switch on the back of the powersupply is in the proper position, and hit the powerswitch to fire her up. Now its time to install a buncha stuff.  (11) Operating System and Driver installation Since others have done a better job at describing this than I can, here are some guides: How to Install Windows XP How to Install Windows Vista Your motherboard should have come with a driver CD, as soon as the operating system is installed just run the driver CD and install the components on it that will allow your computer to function properly. I highly recommend getting the most up to date video card drivers from the manufacturor's website: Nvidia or ATi Now that your computer is fully up and running there's only one thing left to do... LAN Party!

Hey can you tell me what camera you used to take these pics, quality is simply amazing!
#56 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"][(Qouted Text/images)UltimateGamer95
Hey can you tell me what camera you used to take these pics, quality is simply amazing!

I used a Panasonic DMC-TZ4, they don't have it on newegg anymore but here is its younger brother: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180213
#57 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"](10) Front Panel Wiring The final step of building your rig before powering it up can be a little tricky to a beginner, but well labeled motherboards and front panel wires will help this part along greatly. Now pretty much every case comes with 4 things on the front panel, headphone/mic jacks, USB ports, power switch, and reset switch. I'll start out with wiring the audio jacks in the front, luckily everything is well labeled. HD Audio wire  Plugs into the F(ront)_Audio header on the motherboard, near the audio outputs on the back of the motherboard/case  The USB wire  Plugs into the motherboard's F_USB header, just under the graphics card (but location may vary for you)  Now for the power switch, reset switch, front power LED, and hard drive activity LED cables. This is wear a well labeled motherboard comes in handy since it will hopefully tell you witch of the front panel pins are for which wire and what the positive and negative allignments are for them. A rule of thumb on the positive and negative configurations of the wires is that the colored wire is pretty much always positive, while the white wire is pretty much always negative.    And that's it! Congratualtions. Now replace the case's side panel and get the computer ready for use by pluggin in the power cord, keyboard/mouse, monitor, speakers, and whatever else you like. Make sure the switch on the back of the powersupply is in the proper position, and hit the powerswitch to fire her up. Now its time to install a buncha stuff.  (11) Operating System and Driver installation Since others have done a better job at describing this than I can, here are some guides: How to Install Windows XP How to Install Windows Vista Your motherboard should have come with a driver CD, as soon as the operating system is installed just run the driver CD and install the components on it that will allow your computer to function properly. I highly recommend getting the most up to date video card drivers from the manufacturor's website: Nvidia or ATi Now that your computer is fully up and running there's only one thing left to do... LAN Party!

when you play online with these 4 computers do you notice any lag from your network?
#58 Posted by G013M (6424 posts) -
Wow! Very, very nicely done!
#59 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"](Quoted Images)UltimateGamer95
when you play online with these 4 computers do you notice any lag from your network?

No its pretty much the same pings as I get by myself, as long as you don't have so many computers that it exceeds your bandwidth you probably won't notice a difference.
#60 Posted by halokillerz (3406 posts) -

plz dont quote the pictures :P

#63 Posted by o0squishy0o (2772 posts) -

this is bit of a stupid question but oh well.. im about to assemble my new pc... well i say about to next week hopefully and well i thought i may as well ask now.

When using a screwdriver which way do i turn it? LOL joking. I have a screwdriver with a magnetic end, is it ok to use that or is it a REALLY bad idea?

thanks for any help :)

#64 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -

this is bit of a stupid question but oh well.. im about to assemble my new pc... well i say about to next week hopefully and well i thought i may as well ask now.

When using a screwdriver which way do i turn it? LOL joking. I have a screwdriver with a magnetic end, is it ok to use that or is it a REALLY bad idea?

o0squishy0o
No, magnetic screw drivers are actually quite handy when assembling a rig. The magnetism isn't enough to do any harm.
#65 Posted by o0squishy0o (2772 posts) -
[QUOTE="o0squishy0o"]

General_X
No, magnetic screw drivers are actually quite handy when assembling a rig. The magnetism isn't enough to do any harm.

thanks for the help :)
#66 Posted by bleedingsouls (250 posts) -

I wanted to know if I could just follow this guide to build a computer should I get the computer to run? because I have no experince building computers at all and am very intrested and thinking about taking if for a career in college. Was thinking that this would be a good thing to do just to see if I enjoy it or not? I was planning to go to my local Pc shop (they sell alot of the same stuff newegg does) and build it from there. basically want to go there and see if they can give me relativly the same price (shipping is a killer,and Paypal transfer takes like 2 weeks alone. plus probally another 3-6 weeks for delevery on parts from newegg.)

#67 Posted by Sonne13 (41 posts) -

I wanted to know if I could just follow this guide to build a computer should I get the computer to run? because I have no experince building computers at all and am very intrested and thinking about taking if for a career in college. Was thinking that this would be a good thing to do just to see if I enjoy it or not? I was planning to go to my local Pc shop (they sell alot of the same stuff newegg does) and build it from there. basically want to go there and see if they can give me relativly the same price (shipping is a killer,and Paypal transfer takes like 2 weeks alone. plus probally another 3-6 weeks for delevery on parts from newegg.)

bleedingsouls
i was thinking the same
#68 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -
Those are the bare minimum of steps to build a computer (extra steps include other PCI expansion cards and cable management) but if you follow the guide and don't skip anything than you should have a functioning computer. Some steps might be just a tiny bit different depending on the brands you buy, but if you run into any problems you can just make a new thread here in PC Hardware and people will be happy to answer your questions.
#69 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -

bleedingsouls
I can build it for you because I have 5 years of experience doing this!
#70 Posted by Jd1680a (5955 posts) -
question, I notice within this tutorial and others I have seen on Youtube, the person would use the stock heatsink and fan for the CPU. Would the stock fan that comes with the CPU be adequate in releasing heat for someone who is planning on playing games and not to overclock the CPU? another question, video card manufacturers would list the power requirements. This is confusing at the most, example of a geforce gtx 285, the manufacturer has a requirement of 575 watts. Are they suggesting this on an already built PC or is this the power useage of the card itself?
#71 Posted by UltimateGamer95 (4720 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]question, I notice within this tutorial and others I have seen on Youtube, the person would use the stock heatsink and fan for the CPU. Would the stock fan that comes with the CPU be adequate in releasing heat for someone who is planning on playing games and not to overclock the CPU? another question, video card manufacturers would list the power requirements. This is confusing at the most, example of a geforce gtx 285, the manufacturer has a requirement of 575 watts. Are they suggesting this on an already built PC or is this the power useage of the card itself?

The manufacturer's recommended power supply wattage is the wattage of the power supply that you should have in your system. This is usually 150-200 watts more power than your Pc will actually consume.
#72 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]question, I notice within this tutorial and others I have seen on Youtube, the person would use the stock heatsink and fan for the CPU. Would the stock fan that comes with the CPU be adequate in releasing heat for someone who is planning on playing games and not to overclock the CPU? another question, video card manufacturers would list the power requirements. This is confusing at the most, example of a geforce gtx 285, the manufacturer has a requirement of 575 watts. Are they suggesting this on an already built PC or is this the power useage of the card itself?

The stock heat sink should be plenty if you aren't planning on overclocking, even if your case has just alright cooling.
#73 Posted by hibikino (666 posts) -

Amazing! A job well done!

#74 Posted by Nekuu (159 posts) -

Very helpful guide for those with no experience in building PCs but want to (like me). Adding to Bookmarks for later when I can afford to build a new PC. :)

#75 Posted by superdav42 (244 posts) -
[QUOTE="bleedingsouls"]

Sonne13
i was thinking the same

The local PC shops around where I live charge significantly more than Newegg for their parts. So much so that it's cheaper to go with Newegg even with the shipping and everything. Plus Newegg has a much better selection. You could save money this way if you purchased used parts but then you wouldn't have as nice of a system.
#76 Posted by bleedingsouls (250 posts) -

Can anyone give some instruction on changing a PSU in a computer and how to divide the voltages and setup the rails ect everything involving removing the old PSU and connecting a new one? Hoping for pictures as well possibly?

Thanks in advance

#77 Posted by Wildedge93 (835 posts) -
[QUOTE="bleedingsouls"]

Can anyone give some instruction on changing a PSU in a computer and how to divide the voltages and setup the rails ect everything involving removing the old PSU and connecting a new one? Hoping for pictures as well possibly?

Thanks in advance

lol dude ur talking crazy. all u do is unscrew four screws, unplug everything and then pull it out. then put ur new one in. screw the four screws back in and re connect the wires, and done
#78 Posted by machine_B (998 posts) -
Nice guide!
#79 Posted by BenGenio (566 posts) -

Note: I think you ment the following?

The CPU should just drop into place, so if you have to push it in with force you probably haven't (instead of have?)it lined up incorrectly.

I always had a problem with computers, so i decided to do some research on how to build a more reliable pc, this seems like a good start.

#80 Posted by sywi (29 posts) -

Awesome guide. Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort.

#81 Posted by Adobio (6819 posts) -

Ive heard before your suppose to use anti-static gloves of some sort so you dont fry your electronics. Any truth to this? Ive done everything aside from MB\cpu and never used any static protection and have been fine. Great guide im going to use it once I get the money to build my first computer from the ground up.

#82 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -

Ive heard before your suppose to use anti-static gloves of some sort so you dont fry your electronics. Any truth to this? Ive done everything aside from MB\cpu and never used any static protection and have been fine. Great guide im going to use it once I get the money to build my first computer from the ground up.

Adobio
I've never used any sort of anti-static gloves/wrist straps on any of my builds and I haven't had any problems. I just touch an unpainted portion of the inside of my case periodically.
#83 Posted by comstrikeiscool (3616 posts) -
[QUOTE="Adobio"]

General_X
I've never used any sort of anti-static gloves/wrist straps on any of my builds and I haven't had any problems. I just touch an unpainted portion of the inside of my case periodically.

That, or just touch the inside metal of your case and you're set to go.
#84 Posted by Adobio (6819 posts) -

[QUOTE="General_X"][QUOTE="Adobio"]

comstrikeiscool

Ok thanks, after some money comes my way ill start the process.
I usually shop on ebay, any reason to choose newegg over ebay?

#85 Posted by comstrikeiscool (3616 posts) -

[QUOTE="comstrikeiscool"][QUOTE="General_X"]I've never used any sort of anti-static gloves/wrist straps on any of my builds and I haven't had any problems. I just touch an unpainted portion of the inside of my case periodically.Adobio

Ok thanks, after some money comes my way ill start the process.
I usually shop on ebay, any reason to choose newegg over ebay?

Return policy, that's about it.

#86 Posted by zbdyx (2055 posts) -

I found six of the parts on new egg.

I got the case,graphics card,hard drive,motherboard,power supply,and the processor.I tried finding the last three parts.I think its the Windows 7 RC,Sony drive,and i forgot the last one.Thanks!

#87 Posted by sywi (29 posts) -

Newegg has great prices, and the shipping is lightning-fast. I haven't checked, but I can't imagine I'd do much better price-wise than the $55 I just paid for a Radeon HD 4650 graphics card. (Retail, with the assorted bennies that has over ebay -- returnability, warranty, an invoice to use for rebates (you can save a lot on Newegg's rebates), a customer service department if there'd been any hitches, etc. Card arrived in pristine shape less than 48 hours after purchase and took all of 10 mins. to install and get up and running, so I didn't need tech support -- though I had never opened a computer case except to plug in more memory, so that was a possibility -- anyway, I wouldn't have wanted to not have it available.

And, God, I love my new graphics card. I can *play everything* now w/ that little HD4650. I can play Crysis on High everything. This, on my off-the-rack Dell 130S, w/ the 250-watt power supply, and the anorexic case that will only take a low-form-factor-card in the one free PCIe slot. Seriously, I have yet to find a game, brand new or not, that I can't run w/ decent graphics and frame rate. (OK, except Shattered Horizons, which I meet the recommended requirements for but am told I still can't run. Go figure that.). Anyway, I'm in a very pro-Newegg frame of mind just now. The water in Crysis. I. Can see. The beauty... In fact I keep wanting to stop shooting and go swimming. :-)

(If nothing else, the Newegg site is worth a perusal in that there's huge value in the customer reviews posted for pretty much all products in their very extensive inventory. The customer base is distinctly tech-savvy, and the thoroughness of those reviews made up for my lack of any such expertise, making it possible for me to solve a tricky graphics issue at a brilliant price-point w/ zero hair-tearing.)

Oh, system specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00 GHz, 3G RAM, video card = Radeon HD4650 (the Sapphire low profile), OS Vista.

#88 Posted by Dogswithguns (10899 posts) -
Awesome....
#89 Posted by magician1990 (1 posts) -
my computer hardware is : intel(R) core (TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 2.8ghz ram 2 gb video card NIVIDIA GEforce 7300GT (512mb 128bit) i have to renew more the hardware?
#90 Posted by Luminouslight (6397 posts) -
[QUOTE="magician1990"]my computer hardware is : intel(R) core (TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 2.8ghz ram 2 gb video card NIVIDIA GEforce 7300GT (512mb 128bit) i have to renew more the hardware?

Yeah, you should get a better video card.
#91 Posted by firedrakes (1481 posts) -
wow a 512mb 7300gt...
#92 Posted by sunny_945 (61 posts) -
yes get a better gpu if you have short of budget then buy 9800gt other wise gtx260 is the best
#93 Posted by rabidgamer09 (12 posts) -
Great job indeed!! The pictures are very helpful for me as I always understand visuals more than text. I'm doing a computer repair tech course soon and this is a good introduction, so thanks a lot! :)
#94 Posted by Daytona_178 (14962 posts) -

Good guide!

#95 Posted by Snorbly (29 posts) -
Excellent guide, thanks for doing that!
#96 Posted by nikola96 (836 posts) -

Tnx you really helped me a lot.

#97 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -

Nice.

#98 Posted by vishnu1212 (29 posts) -
Thanks man this really helps =)
#99 Posted by firedrakes (1481 posts) -
posting case and ram later today... finale got time
#100 Posted by TheRealSuperDav (14 posts) -

I have a question, I just got a new case and in one of the bags I got 3 plastic peices with tape on one side, one is rectangular and the other two are smaller square peices. I'm thinking it's for water-cooling but I want to be sure.