This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -

I previously had my 770 plugged into my PCI exress x4 slot on my motherboard. I decided that maybe it wasn't powering it enough so I moved it to the PCI express x16 slot(which is close to my heatsink, reason why it was lower in the x4 slot), now everything is black and white, and it claims not to detect my video card. If I move it back to the x4 slot, everything is all fine.

Any idea's how to fix this?

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7981 posts) -

Get a new working properly MOBO.

If you insert a GPU on the x16 slot where it should be going into and it doesn't work either something wrong with the GPU or the MOBO, in your case it's the MOBO, replace it.

#3 Edited by Klunt_Bumskrint (3903 posts) -

I'm hoping you didn't move it while it was turned on!?

Anyway, you might need to make an adjustment in the bios depending on how you've got things set-up.

Also putting it in the x4 slot is crazy beans, poor thing would be choking!

#4 Edited by groowagon (2806 posts) -

ummm.... isn't pcie x4 physically smaller slot than x16, so how is that even possible? anyway, only x16 is meant for GPUs.

think you have a SLI mobo, (it has TWO x16 slots), and you just switched between them. you need to reinstall drivers if you switch between slots. the top slot is a primary slot, so you should use it in there. don't worry if it's close to the heatsink, as long as it fits there.

#5 Posted by kraken2109 (13052 posts) -

^I assumed he meant a PCI-EX16 that runs at a slower speed like happens on some boards with multiple slots. Or is that just when there are multiple cards running? Having never had a board with multiple slots I'm not sure.

#6 Edited by groowagon (2806 posts) -

@kraken2109 said:

^I assumed he meant a PCI-EX16 that runs at a slower speed like happens on some boards with multiple slots. Or is that just when there are multiple cards running? Having never had a board with multiple slots I'm not sure.

if mobo has dual x16 slots, it usually means that if both slots are being utilized at the same time (dual GPU setup), the slots will then work as x8.

#7 Posted by Horgen (110121 posts) -

@groowagon said:

@kraken2109 said:

^I assumed he meant a PCI-EX16 that runs at a slower speed like happens on some boards with multiple slots. Or is that just when there are multiple cards running? Having never had a board with multiple slots I'm not sure.

if mobo has dual x16 slots, it usually means that if both slots are being utilized at the same time (dual GPU setup), the slots will then work as x8.

And if it has 3 full size slots (like my mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Pro) the third one will most likely be locked to 4x speed maximum. If the slot is a PCIe 3rd gen slot, then 4X equals 8X of the previous PCIe 2nd slot. But I highly doubt that. Unless that is one of the differences between Z77 and Z87 mobos.

#8 Edited by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -
@kraken2109 said:

^I assumed he meant a PCI-EX16 that runs at a slower speed like happens on some boards with multiple slots. Or is that just when there are multiple cards running? Having never had a board with multiple slots I'm not sure.

I believe this is what I was talking about. Not quite sure. Anyway, here is the link to my motherboard on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138320

It is time for an upgrade, but it's not something that I'm particularly interested in doing at the moment. Also, I don't think there is anything physically wrong with this motherboard. I have a theory that if I simply reinstalled Windows that everything would be functioning as intended.

On that motherboard specifically the white PICe slot is the primary. The red one below it says "PCIe x4", and that's the red one. They are both however the same size. I moved it down to the red one because my heatsink is so large. I would have maybe a cetimeter between my GPU and Heatsink if I put it in the white one, so I opted for the other one. Am I correct in assuming that since I've done that I'm losing power to my GPU, or should they both be powering it optimally at the same level?

#9 Edited by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -

As expected, once I reinstalled Windows everything performed as intended. Although I downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7, but myself consider that an upgrade. Opinions?

#10 Edited by PredatorRules (7981 posts) -

@SystemsGO said:

As expected, once I reinstalled Windows everything performed as intended. Although I downgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 7, but myself consider that an upgrade. Opinions?

I don't know how's that solved your problem, might be just GPU driver issue but good for you =)

Windows version won't matter.

I took a look at your MOBO picture and you can clearly see that the GPU should go to the white one with the x16.

The second GPU if you will goes to the slightly orange one and your MOBO supports only CrossFire so 2 GPUs combo only with ATI GPUs

#11 Posted by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Yeah, I know about the crossfire, Also, not sure how it solved my problem but it did. I did everything I knew to fix it before doing a fresh installation of Windows. Last resort, did that. Also, with the GPU being in the white PCI port I am definitely getting better results.

Speaking of crossfire only dual setup. Lets say I were to put my GTX 570 in as a Physx ONLY card. Is that still feasible, or would that require another mobo?

#12 Edited by PredatorRules (7981 posts) -

@SystemsGO said:

@PredatorRules:

Yeah, I know about the crossfire, Also, not sure how it solved my problem but it did. I did everything I knew to fix it before doing a fresh installation of Windows. Last resort, did that. Also, with the GPU being in the white PCI port I am definitely getting better results.

Speaking of crossfire only dual setup. Lets say I were to put my GTX 570 in as a Physx ONLY card. Is that still feasible, or would that require another mobo?

"

Can I use an NVIDIA GPU as a PhysX processor and a non-NVIDIA GPU for regular display graphics?

No. There are multiple technical connections between PhysX processing and graphics that require tight collaboration between the two technologies. To deliver a good experience for users, NVIDIA PhysX technology has been fully verified and enabled using only NVIDIA GPUs for graphics. - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_faq.html#sthash.DjOg8le7.dpuf"

Basically Nvidia is being asshole like everytime.

But I think I saw some vids showing you can do that trick, I don't know how they've managed to do that or if it's legit, I need more time to investigate that thing.

EDIT: I've found this mod http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-05ff.html but it works only with 2011 PhysX drivers.

#13 Posted by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -

@PredatorRules: The website you linked me to is acting as if I'm using a non Nvidia GPU as my primary. I'm using an Nvidia GTX 770 as my primary, and wondering if it's possible to use my Nvidia GTX 570 as a Physx solution. Which, I guess I can find that out on my own, although, you're probably right Nvidia are assholes are probably do not allow that sort of thing.

#14 Edited by PredatorRules (7981 posts) -

@SystemsGO: Then yes you can, the only thing you can't do with that MOBO is SLI

#15 Edited by SystemsGO (1071 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@SystemsGO: Then yes you can, the only thing you can't do with that MOBO is SLI

Do you think it would be worth it, or just create too much additional heat? I think in games like Assassin's Creed where shooting a gun makes your FPS go from 40-50 down to sub 20 it would be nice to have a dedicated physX card. Might also increase the FPS in Arma III

#16 Posted by Horgen (110121 posts) -

If you got a 770, it should be able to handle most PhysX fine on its own. Getting a dedicated card... I think most people will say it isn't worth it unless you can get something really cheap.

#17 Edited by PredatorRules (7981 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

If you got a 770, it should be able to handle most PhysX fine on its own. Getting a dedicated card... I think most people will say it isn't worth it unless you can get something really cheap.

Exactly.

@SystemsGO said:

@PredatorRules said:

@SystemsGO: Then yes you can, the only thing you can't do with that MOBO is SLI

Do you think it would be worth it, or just create too much additional heat? I think in games like Assassin's Creed where shooting a gun makes your FPS go from 40-50 down to sub 20 it would be nice to have a dedicated physX card. Might also increase the FPS in Arma III

I think it's worth it because if you already got the 2 GPUs then why not taking advantage of one of them so the GTX770 could use it's whole power to other thing beside phisics, about the heat, make sure you've got good air ventilation like the Corsair 400R or something with (2 from intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust)

Also make sure you've got enough capacity in your PSU to run both GPUs.