PC Turns Off then On on Boot. No BIOS

#1 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

So I just installed the Hyper 212 EVO and now wheni turn on my PC it stays on for about 3 seconds then off for about 5 seconds then turns on again and stays on indefinitely but never beeps or goes to BIOS. My display doesn't even register.

My PC was working fine before. I did remove my CPU and gently scrubbed the old thermal paste with coffee filters and 91% isoprophyl as I read online.

I did notice the backplate and restraint plate were difficult to add on. I'm wondering if damaged my CPU or motherboard in the process.

Any ideas from what I'm describing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (8468 posts) -

It is sounds like you've damaged either the CPU or the MOBO CPU socket

#3 Edited by woomar (141 posts) -

Are you sure you put back the CPU in the right way (the arrow indicator) .. i believe the pins won't set the other way around anyways .

Try to reset the CMOS by the jumper , if that didn't work try removing your CPU and install it again.

#4 Posted by soolkiki (1775 posts) -

Woomar's suggestion is a good one. I would also double check your RAM. My dad had the exact same symptoms and it turned out that one of his sticks was bad. I don't think that this is at all the problem, but the chance is small, so you may as well check.

#5 Edited by kraken2109 (13154 posts) -

Are you sure you got the CPU in and out properly?

Most motherboards have a locking lever.

#6 Posted by joseph_mach (3612 posts) -

I'd also check that you plugged the 4 or 8 pin aux cpu power back in tightly.

#7 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

@soolkiki said:

Woomar's suggestion is a good one. I would also double check your RAM. My dad had the exact same symptoms and it turned out that one of his sticks was bad. I don't think that this is at all the problem, but the chance is small, so you may as well check.

It was the RAM slots! I've always used the blue ones, but tried the black ones and booted up fine. I noticed the black ones are much tighter fit. I'm wondering if I tweak the blues one and made them loose or something.

Anyways, I'm just glad I got it working! :D

#8 Posted by Gammit10 (2287 posts) -

Good job. :) I was going to suggest removing all but 1 RAM stick and the video card, and make sure all proper hardware units had all power cables plugged in. If that doesn't work, shift the 1 stick of RAM to a different slot. Once all slots have been attempted, try a different stick of RAM. If that fails the test, you likely have a problem with the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Most people seem to have issues with the PSU first of these three, I tend to have more motherboard issues than the others.

#9 Posted by soolkiki (1775 posts) -

@Cwagmire21 said:

@soolkiki said:

It was the RAM slots! I've always used the blue ones, but tried the black ones and booted up fine. I noticed the black ones are much tighter fit. I'm wondering if I tweak the blues one and made them loose or something.

Good! :) I'm glad that it's working! I hate having issues with my PC. It's always scary haha

#10 Posted by kitty (114901 posts) -

@soolkiki said:

@Cwagmire21 said:

@soolkiki said:

Good! :) I'm glad that it's working! I hate having issues with my PC. It's always scary haha

Same here. Thought I was having one the other night. My crossfire wouldn't activate, nor was it showing up. Turns out my second card wasn't all the way in, although the fans where working. I did happen to clean the cards that day, so I guess it was my own fault lol.

#11 Posted by insane_metalist (6450 posts) -

I had similar problem just the other day. My monitor wouldn't turn on, turned out to be faulty ram.