PC to TV with a DVI-D to HDMI cable = "No Signal"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts
so I went out to Best Buy the other day as I wanted a DVI to HDMI cable so I could hook my PC up to my TV and not be stuck with VGA

I asked a clerk there and they said this would do just that

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10082074&catid=24378

I get it home try it out and all it says is no signal

now, seeing as this cable was made to use PS3 on tvs with out HDMI I hook it up to the DVI port on my old tv and it worked like a charm

try on my tv again no dice

both my GPU and TV are HDCP compliant, though i'm sure that doesn't matter for this

anyways here's my question

because this cable is designed to go from HDMI from PS3 to DVI on your TV is that the reason it's not working? Realistically it shouldn't really matter though right, cuz the GPU and TV both have female DVI ports so it should be able to send a signal from DVI to HDMI from my computer to tv still right?

is this possible? Is the cable just wrong, should I take it back and get a new one?
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

so I went out to Best Buy the other day as I wanted a DVI to HDMI cable so I could hook my PC up to my TV and not be stuck with VGA

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10082074&catid=24378

now, seeing as this cable was made to use PS3 on tvs with out HDMI I hook it up to the DVI port on my old tv and it worked like a charm

both my GPU and TV are HDCP compliant, though i'm sure that doesn't matter for this

because this cable is designed to go from HDMI from PS3 to DVI on your TV is that the reason it's not working? Realistically it shouldn't really matter though right, cuz the GPU and TV both have female DVI ports so it should be able to send a signal from DVI to HDMI from my computer to tv still right?

is this possible? Is the cable just wrong, should I take it back and get a new one?
XboxUnderground

How can your 'old' tv have a DVI port? It's not like DVI ports are standard for most TVs even nowadays

Anyways, how are you connecting that HDMI port to the pc? An adapter?

Avatar image for XboxUnderground
XboxUnderground

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XboxUnderground
Member since 2003 • 20965 Posts

[QUOTE="XboxUnderground"]so I went out to Best Buy the other day as I wanted a DVI to HDMI cable so I could hook my PC up to my TV and not be stuck with VGA

mikemil828

How can your 'old' tv have a DVI port? It's not like DVI ports are standard for most TVs even nowadays

Anyways, how are you connecting that HDMI port to the pc? An adapter?

my old tv is a 50" 720p DLP ;) and I've got the DVI going in to the PC and HDMI to the tv
Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Impossibilium
Member since 2005 • 1568 Posts
try making sure the output of your PC matches the resolution of the screen. You might also want to try outputting a 4:3 aspect if you have that option and then adjusting the aspect with your TV settings.

One other thing to try is changing the way you switch devices on. Try PC first then TV or TV first then PC. Some devices are picky about how they receive the HDCP handshake.