PC Single player Rpg's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Coxxxy00 (9 posts) -

Hi Guys.

Since I'm trying to get over my WoW addiction I'm looking to replace it with a decent single player RPG. (read: not online)

I've never really played PC RPG's apart from wow and Diablo in the old days so don't really know what to get.

I'm on a pretty modest laptop so things like Elderscrolls: oblivion are out due to graphical demands I dont have :) Was thinking NW Nights the original one searching forums it seems people don't reacomend the single player aspects of it? Advice?

Cheeeeers!!

#2 Posted by bedram793 (1729 posts) -
Well, give us your specs first. If you don't know much, then go to start, run, and type in dxdiag. Look up ram, cpu, and then go to display to tell us your graphics card. Also, a lot of people here like Deus Ex. I personally didn't love it like a lot of people here, but I would give it a try.
#3 Posted by om3ga_storm (402 posts) -
I thought NWN single player was pretty good. There are a lot of things to do in that game if you bother to do all the sidequests. And there are a lot of extra stuff you can get online too for example custom modules.
#4 Posted by Coxxxy00 (9 posts) -

Hey, I know the specs it's a sempron 3500+. 1gb ram, dvd-rw. ATI radeon Xpress 1150. Not the best graphics cards but it will run yesteryears games good enough. WOW on medium settings at decent reso for example. No probs.

I used to be LOVE Dues ex invisible war when I had my main computer. Loved that game, never tried the first one however.

#5 Posted by potentv (288 posts) -

My only advice to you would be to try get into an online FPS like CoD4 or TF2 (epecially TF2)

I know not online, but no game can compare with the variety a MMO can provide purely because it is the interaction between people that people are facinated with. I suggest these online FPS's because they can get addictive but you can also stop playing at the drop of a hat without any consequences which is possibly the hardest part in MMOs. Keep in mind, to properly enjoy any online game you need a community, clans and friends really help and no one cares if you have leave in a second.

#6 Posted by Foals (106 posts) -
Try Sacred. I enjoyed that game a lot.
#7 Posted by error11 (7163 posts) -

Hey, I know the specs it's a sempron 3500+. 1gb ram, dvd-rw. ATI radeon Xpress 1150. Not the best graphics cards but it will run yesteryears games good enough. WOW on medium settings at decent reso for example. No probs.

I used to be LOVE Dues ex invisible war when I had my main computer. Loved that game, never tried the first one however.

Coxxxy00

OMG you HAVE to get the first one if you've never played it! One of the best games ever made! As for RPG, i would suggest you get The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind.

#8 Posted by bedram793 (1729 posts) -
Well, most people here like the first Deus Ex a LOT better than the second one. You can get it for free on gametap. Just go to gametap.com and go to free games. It's in the shooter section I believe. You just download the gametap launcher thing, and download the game from there. You also have to lunch the game from the gametap launcher thingy. It plays some kind of advertisement, then you get to play. It also has a few other good free games such as Thief, Hitman 1 and 2, etc.
#9 Posted by Coxxxy00 (9 posts) -

My only advice to you would be to try get into an online FPS like CoD4 or TF2 (epecially TF2)

I know not online, but no game can compare with the variety a MMO can provide purely because it is the interaction between people that people are facinated with. I suggest these online FPS's because they can get addictive but you can also stop playing at the drop of a hat without any consequences which is possibly the hardest part in MMOs. Keep in mind, to properly enjoy any online game you need a community, clans and friends really help and no one cares if you have leave in a second.

potentv

Hi it's not really the community that I find so attractive it's the back story/quests/sideline quests, the professions and the 'always something to do' mentality. Wether it's levelling up professions, fishing or just gearing up a bit. I've always been more of a solo wow'er. Many thanks for the input however!

#10 Posted by psyched0ut (100 posts) -

Morrowind. It's better than oblivion, but without the silly system reqs. I used to it get over my WoW addiction. I bought it on the same day I canceled my account, and in a week, I was so engrossed in it that I had forgotten Wo. It's a very deep game, but it doesnt require the same level of obsession to have fun. Hundreds of hours of gameplay in the normal game, plus hundreds more with the xpacs and mods, and you can take it as slowly or as fast as you want.

It's cheap too, only like $20 for the GotY version. It has aged well, I don't mind the graphics, but if you do, there are loads of graphic upgrade mods.

#11 Posted by Coxxxy00 (9 posts) -

Morrowind. It's better than oblivion, but without the silly system reqs. I used to it get over my WoW addiction. I bought it on the same day I canceled my account, and in a week, I was so engrossed in it that I had forgotten Wo. It's a very deep game, but it doesnt require the same level of obsession to have fun. Hundreds of hours of gameplay in the normal game, plus hundreds more with the xpacs and mods, and you can take it as slowly or as fast as you want.

It's cheap too, only like $20 for the GotY version. It has aged well, I don't mind the graphics, but if you do, there are loads of graphic upgrade mods.

psyched0ut

Morrowind isn't even one I had thought about, I'm not worried about graphics either, depth, story, enjoyment are far more important. I'll definitely check it out thanks!

#12 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodline.
#13 Posted by gamerguy845 (2074 posts) -

Well, most people here like the first Deus Ex a LOT better than the second one. You can get it for free on gametap. Just go to gametap.com and go to free games. It's in the shooter section I believe. You just download the gametap launcher thing, and download the game from there. You also have to lunch the game from the gametap launcher thingy. It plays some kind of advertisement, then you get to play. It also has a few other good free games such as Thief, Hitman 1 and 2, etc. bedram793

lol those are all the games I downloaded, and the tomb raider: legend

#14 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6151 posts) -

Id surgest NWN, and fallout+2 you can run them, and they give alot of hours of playing...

NWN's singleplayer is indeed the weakest aspect of the game, but it is still a very good sp game, its just the other componants are really good. The sp campaign is still worth it alone ^^

#15 Posted by dnuggs40 (10484 posts) -

*ok **good ***great ****personal favorite

Arx Fatalis****

Divine Divinity***

NWN**

Sacred***

Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind****

#16 Posted by PC360Wii (4658 posts) -
[QUOTE="psyched0ut"]

Coxxxy00

Morrowind isn't even one I had thought about, I'm not worried about graphics either, depth, story, enjoyment are far more important. I'll definitely check it out thanks!

Baldur's Gate II and Planescape Torment, 2 of the finest CRPG's in existance, for depth and story.

#17 Posted by neatfeatguy (3406 posts) -

Id surgest NWN, and fallout+2 you can run them, and they give alot of hours of playing...

NWN's singleplayer is indeed the weakest aspect of the game, but it is still a very good sp game, its just the other componants are really good. The sp campaign is still worth it alone ^^

Maddie_Larkin

I second Fallout 1 and 2 - I'm currently replaying through Fallout 1 and I forgot so much about the game, but it still fun.

Here's a game (or two) you could check out that I haven't seen anyone else mention yet. Try Gothic and Gothic 2 (you should be able to run the second one on your computer without any issues) - Gothic 3 is very demanding and can still bring decent desktops to their knees.

You could also look into trying out the Knight of the Old Republic (1 and 2) - a.k.a KOTOR 1 and 2. They'll run on your computer.

#18 Posted by Elitewhitewolf (90 posts) -

OH GOD! I KNOW THE FEELING, i havent played WOW for 9 months now, and im planning on playin it again in september, but i dont want to be my sad self again, haha. but anyway, just try a sport, a real life sport, it will get your mind of things and if you wanna play an odd pc game, i dont know what to reccomend. sorry

#19 Posted by blackdreamhunk (3880 posts) -

Blizzard really doesn't make rpg's per say theye make action rpg's. Yea I say you really need to branch off and try new rpg games.

I am playing both never winter nights 2 and mass effect.

#20 Posted by prodog4 (17 posts) -
I personally like Mass Effect and Kotor 2(never tried 1)
#21 Posted by flipin_jackass (9725 posts) -
Fable, KOTOR, Morrowind, NWN, possibly Titan Quest.
#22 Posted by Wenolas (164 posts) -
Personally my favorite single player RPGs out there for the PC are Knights of the Old Republic and Fable: The Lost Chapters. Even if you're not a big Star Wars fan Knights of the Old Republic is quite simply one of the best games I've ever played. It has an excellent story and great gameplay. As far as Fable goes the reviews seemed mixed at best but when I finally sat down and tried it I thought it was a really well done game.
#23 Posted by RobbieH1234 (7464 posts) -

Fallout, Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, KotOR.