PC games that you can learn from

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by risako9 (840 posts) -

Hi! 

I've been playing League of Legends for about a month now. Though it uses your gaming skills technically, There's no learning factor to it. 

Can you suggest games that  has humor, deep storyline and educational like Dragon Age's lores or AC history.

Games with lots of dialogue and deep storyline.

#2 Posted by Gladestone1 (5556 posts) -

Anno 2070, simcity games are awesome..The old pupulas games u can learn..Civilization is a good game..There are a ton of games like this on the market

#3 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

Hi! 

I've been playing League of Legends for about a month now. Though it uses your gaming skills technically, There's no learning factor to it. 

Can you suggest games that  has humor, deep storyline and educational like Dragon Age's lores or AC history.

Games with lots of dialogue and deep storyline.

risako9

Not sure there's really anything educational about these games but, if you are just looking for an engaging story try the Witcher 2.  

Skyrim is fun for the atmosphere.  Plus you can learn from adjusting mods or even creating your own.

Deus Ex HR

#4 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
"Surgery Simulator 2013" teaches you how to fail at heart transplants. Otherwise, at least somewhat, the Police Quest series did a good job with various parts of police work. Swat 4 was also a fun co-op game :)
#5 Posted by Led_poison (10143 posts) -
The Civ series is pretty good, I learned a tonne about famous generals/scientists/artists/admirals/engineers/merchants from history.
#6 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16670 posts) -

This is pure tech. But, it's also very educational:

FSXLearningCenter01_zps7e3eceeb.jpg

FSXLearningCenter02_zps1c348270.jpg

#7 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Call of Duty. It's a combat training simulator after all!

[spoiler] /sarcasm [/spoiler]

#8 Posted by risako9 (840 posts) -

Wow! thanks! i can find these games on Steam right? 

#9 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

Call of Duty. It's a combat training simulator after all!Goyoshi12

According to some people in politics it's a murder simulator.

Because video games are nothing but gratuitous violence.  :P  Lol.

#10 Posted by Nick3306 (2603 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Call of Duty. It's a combat training simulator after all!FaustArp

According to some people in politics it's a murder simulator.

Because video games are nothing but gratuitous violence.  :P  Lol.

You will always get people that say that when you have games like call of duty and medal of honor that glorify warfare. You seem to ask for games with a learning factor but you really dont explain what kind of learning. Like learning to play the game? Or learning something useful? As far as learning from games, i did learn a lot about WWII history from games like COD2 and Company of heroes.
#11 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

Deus Ex.

I ended up reading Chesterton´s "The Man Who Was Thursday" because of it.
Lots of other examples but this is always the first one that comes to mind.

#12 Posted by biggest_loser (24083 posts) -
Max Payne - one of the few games to bring its game play and themes together if you're willing to read into it. Braid is also a fantastic memory test. It teaches your brain and you apply that to the puzzles.
#13 Posted by BattleSpectre (6381 posts) -

Dues Ex: HR woah what an amazing experience this game was ;)

#14 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

portal 1 & 2

#15 Posted by MacBoomStick (1948 posts) -

DCS: A-10. Learn how to fly an A-10.

#16 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (4089 posts) -

A lot of my knowlegde of World War II began with Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. After the battles and settings were introduced in those games, I went and did some proper research on them. Good games based on historical events can be better than any documentary in terms of how they can capture someone's interest through actual entertainment.

#17 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Assassin's Creed was great for me, I was always hearing things about the Renaissance that had happened in the game.

#18 Posted by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -
I'm not sure why you think learning about a game world's fictional lore is educational.
#19 Posted by Conan1985 (99 posts) -

Any Total war game if you want to learn something real..well most of it.

Deep lore...Skyrim comes to mind.

#20 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16670 posts) -

The X-Plane series is also a treasure trove of knowledge. It allows visualization of forces acting on the aircraft in "realtime"

X-Plane92640_zps63a7b8f3.jpg

It also has an aircraft 3D-modeler. You can design your own and see how they'll fly...kinda like a virtual wind tunnel:

This is for the built-in Cessna 172:

X-PlanePM1_zpsbdaade35.jpg

X-PlanePM2_zps00ab4d34.jpg

X-PlanePM3_zps04770f67.jpg

#21 Posted by KalDurenik (3768 posts) -
Well... If you want to use your brain play one of the old school rpg's that dont hold your hand and you have to write down notes to know where you are going. Or games like Baldurs Gate 1/2 and then play on the hardest difficulty so you need to learn the system... Or play antchamber if you want to have your life destroyed.
#22 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

For book learning there are a lot, but I did want to mention Spec Ops: The Line, because it can show you both how videogames are art and how violence in our culture is looked upon romantically far too often.

Though I've learned how to multitask thanks to RTS games.

#23 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
There is a 'learning' factor to LoL - it's heavy in its mechanics, and learning how to be proficient isn't easy. Mobas in general. All games are about learning, that's the truth, you want something more about story or dialogue and 'make you feel like a super scholar intellectual' then play Planescape. It's pretty fantastic.