This topic is locked from further discussion.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

So I decided to finally try to overclock my CPU myself instead of using the motherboard software. I adjusted the multiplier to 42 on my 3570K before it started to crash at 43. Then I found the Vcore setting on my ASRock Z77M board and tried increasing that by one spot.

The problem is that whenever I adjust the Vcore even that little bit, my PC crashes. So for now I'm at a stable 4.2, but I know it can go further. Any idea why it's doing this? What am I doing wrong?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I have the exact same CPU and similar mobo (I have the ATX version), what cooling do you have?

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

@GTR12: the CM Hyper 212

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GTR12

@quikdash6:

Leave the vcore at auto, put it to 43, boot into windows and see what cpuid or whatever program you use has the vcore at, go back into uefi, set the vcore to that, but reduce it by 0.05 increments until it wont boot, then go to 44 and do everything again, that's the easiest way of explaining.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@quikdash6 said:

So I decided to finally try to overclock my CPU myself instead of using the motherboard software. I adjusted the multiplier to 42 on my 3570K before it started to crash at 43. Then I found the Vcore setting on my ASRock Z77M board and tried increasing that by one spot.

The problem is that whenever I adjust the Vcore even that little bit, my PC crashes. So for now I'm at a stable 4.2, but I know it can go further. Any idea why it's doing this? What am I doing wrong?

TBH I wouldn't go above 4.2 with EVO (unless you're fine with the degrees)

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

I wouldn't recommend setting the vCore to auto.

Some mobos just set it ridiculously high for the clock you set.

Overclocking is something complex, but easy to do once you're informed. It's a trial and error process to determine the voltage.

I highly recommend you to read this guide:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

How exactly did you "adjust" the Vcore? Because normally you'll see lower Vcore than what you set in bios manually, higher the load lower the Vcore. If you have the offset option you can try that and add +0,125V or whatever it offers. You can also try and turn on CPU LLC, it will counter the V drop that occurs on load. Needless to say you need to be very carefull with that. Oh and don't overclock from Windows, go to bios and set it up properly.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

Overclocking is something complex, but easy to do once you're informed. It's a trial and error process to determine the voltage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclocking-guide-sandy-bridge-ivy-bridge-asrock-edition

That's probably true for older mobos, and even still I've never had a problem leaving it on auto for 10-15 mins just to get a starting point.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EducatingU_PCMR

@GTR12 said:

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

That's probably true for older mobos, and even still I've never had a problem leaving it on auto for 10-15 mins just to get a starting point.

No, a lot of mobos still do it.

I remember setting mine at auto @ 4.2GHz and it set it to 1.320v

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12

@EducatingU_PCMR:

You do realise the guide says 1.50v max?

I'm just saying it wont kill the chip using auto for 1.320v for 15 mins or so, then go back and get a baseline at least, instead of just guessing randomly.

EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EducatingU_PCMR

@GTR12:

1.5v max probably for water.

Truth, but I'd take for reference people with the same CPU and start from there, since 1.320 is just too high for 4.2GHz.

Or just watch your stock max voltage, take that value and add +25mV each time, so if your 3570K stock is 1.116v + 25mV = 1.141v