overclocking a gateway computer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78b683675c5
deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

Here's my question, what exactly would i have to do to overclock my gateway FX530S?  Because i heard that you usually can't overclock computers that you buy from places like gateway, dell, hp, etc.  I know that one thing that i would have to change would be my motherboard but beyond that i have no clue.

P.S. take into consideration that i have never overclocked a computer and don't know anything about overclocking. 

DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Then don't OC. You should really read a lot first about OC'ing before trying. Some people here who are inexperiences will say otherwise, but don't listen to those. OC'ing isn't easy if you want to be good at it. Well, some minor basic info: OC'ing happens most of the time in the BIOS, but most of those brand PC's lock the BIOS or make it second to impossible to enter it. So that makes OC'ing almost impossible already. Further more, the parts used in those brand PC's aren't usually the best parts for OC'ing, since some tend to be better at it then others. Those from manufacturers aren't good for OC'ing. Also, the minor differences in BIOS versions and brands can have big differences in ratio of success. That this small piece of information in consideration and you should see that it won't be easy, close to impossible to do it good with a brand name PC. If you want to continue with this, buy a good motherboard and a good CPU and good RAM. You don't need much more then that, apart from lots of info from various sources. Things like the Asus P5B or Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboards and Core 2 Duo CPU's, together with low timings RAM from OCZ and/or Corsair, combined with lots of research is a good formula for OC'ing success.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d78b683675c5

Then don't OC. You should really read a lot first about OC'ing before trying. Some people here who are inexperiences will say otherwise, but don't listen to those. OC'ing isn't easy if you want to be good at it. Well, some minor basic info: OC'ing happens most of the time in the BIOS, but most of those brand PC's lock the BIOS or make it second to impossible to enter it. So that makes OC'ing almost impossible already. Further more, the parts used in those brand PC's aren't usually the best parts for OC'ing, since some tend to be better at it then others. Those from manufacturers aren't good for OC'ing. Also, the minor differences in BIOS versions and brands can have big differences in ratio of success. That this small piece of information in consideration and you should see that it won't be easy, close to impossible to do it good with a brand name PC. If you want to continue with this, buy a good motherboard and a good CPU and good RAM. You don't need much more then that, apart from lots of info from various sources. Things like the Asus P5B or Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboards and Core 2 Duo CPU's, together with low timings RAM from OCZ and/or Corsair, combined with lots of research is a good formula for OC'ing success.DirkVDV01

I have a C2D E6600

socket 775 LGA(that's my motherboard right, i'm not sure)

4 GB of DDR2 memory

geforce 7300LE(8600U when it comes out)

700watt power supply

So i am guessing that what I would have to change would be my mobo, so everything else would be okay if i wanted to overclock?  Also if i were to overclock i would want to do it with whatever cooling that i already have.  The reason why i am asking this in the forum is because when i tried googling it, i didn't understand most of it being a noob and all?  Thanks for the info and any other info that you can provide me.

DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DirkVDV01
You only mentioned the CPU socket of the motherboard, we need the brand and type. You can find this in the motherboard manual or with a diagnostic program like Everest, Belarc Advisor, CPU-Z, etc. Stock cooling isn't good when you want to OC. You won't get high stable speeds with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d78b683675c5
sorry bout that, the mobo is an intel model OEMD975XBGG1
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZBoater
Member since 2003 • 1855 Posts
Some newer Gateway models come overclocked from the factory. Most major manufacturers (like Dell and Gateway) lock the BIOS so you cannot overclock. Going into your BIOS and seeing if you have OC options is your best clue. Even if there are options, they can be limited.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DirkVDV01
It looks to be very limiting, that OEM in the model name is a bad sign. Like Zboater said, try to get into the BIOS and see if you can find settings and if you can alter them. My guess is that you will find something which you can alter, but as soon as you reboot, the settings will be reset.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d78b683675c5

It looks to be very limiting, that OEM in the model name is a bad sign. Like Zboater said, try to get into the BIOS and see if you can find settings and if you can alter them. My guess is that you will find something which you can alter, but as soon as you reboot, the settings will be reset.DirkVDV01

sorry, noob question how do you get into bios? i still need to learn more about overclocking before i try it but i just wanted to know how to get into the bios.

ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZBoater
sorry, noob question how do you get into bios? i still need to learn more about overclocking before i try it but i just wanted to know how to get into the bios.

dahwnpapaya

When you reboot the PC, you have to hit a particular key during the boot process. It varies by PC. On my Dell, its F2. On yours - I don't know. It could be F2, F10, Esc or some other key. Time to break out the manual. :D

EDIT:  Ahhhh, Google is your friend.  Its F2.  And if you have an Extreme processor, its overclockable.  Here is a link to the manual.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
You PROBABLY don't want to overclock a pre-fab machine as the air flow in that case is likely awful and I doubt the case fans provided will give adequate cooling.
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZBoater
You PROBABLY don't want to overclock a pre-fab machine as the air flow in that case is likely awful and I doubt the case fans provided will give adequate cooling.DGFreak
I think that is a big assumption. The Gateway FX line comes with an overclocking option from the factory, so one would think cooling has been taken into consideration. Dell, another "prefab", has a thermo-electric cooling option for its overclocked models. I agree you need to consider your cooling situation. Just don't assume ALL prefabs lack proper cooling. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d78b683675c5

You PROBABLY don't want to overclock a pre-fab machine as the air flow in that case is likely awful and I doubt the case fans provided will give adequate cooling.DGFreak

One thing that i read about the E6600 was that it's okay to overclock it to about 2.8-3.0ghz without needing to change anything.  would i have to open up my computer to see what type of cooling i have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78b683675c5

It looks to be very limiting, that OEM in the model name is a bad sign. Like Zboater said, try to get into the BIOS and see if you can find settings and if you can alter them. My guess is that you will find something which you can alter, but as soon as you reboot, the settings will be reset.DirkVDV01

okay, i went into my bios and it does let me alter the settings to change my ghz but i didn't want to make those changes because i don't know what will happen.  I don't remember exactly what was on there but there were the different frequencies an 3 other things 5,5,5,15.  The ones that said 5 had options to change it to 2,3, or 4, but nothing above 5 don't know what any of that means.  Now if i do decide to try and overclock my computer will that void the warranty that i have on it?

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
[QUOTE="DGFreak"]You PROBABLY don't want to overclock a pre-fab machine as the air flow in that case is likely awful and I doubt the case fans provided will give adequate cooling.ZBoater
I think that is a big assumption. The Gateway FX line comes with an overclocking option from the factory, so one would think cooling has been taken into consideration. Dell, another "prefab", has a thermo-electric cooling option for its overclocked models. I agree you need to consider your cooling situation. Just don't assume ALL prefabs lack proper cooling. :D

I guess it would be fair to say I've been a LITTLE biased ever since I actually around to building my own :)
ZBoater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZBoater
okay, i went into my bios and it does let me alter the settings to change my ghz but i didn't want to make those changes because i don't know what will happen.  I don't remember exactly what was on there but there were the different frequencies an 3 other things 5,5,5,15.  The ones that said 5 had options to change it to 2,3, or 4, but nothing above 5 don't know what any of that means.  Now if i do decide to try and overclock my computer will that void the warranty that i have on it?

dahwnpapaya

What allows you to change the GHz is probably the clock multiplier, and the other numbers are the memory timings. I think you need to read up a bit before you try it. Unless you change voltages, you are probably not going to damage anything - if you exceed the CPU's capabilities, it will lock up your machine or make it unstable (reboots). I would recommend you also visit Gateway user forums to get some recommendations.