Overclocking 4770K, 2 or 4 dimms of ram ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

I am going to build a new system with a 4770K, a asus z87 sabertooth, and 8 gigs of dominator platinum. But now im wondering.. These days what is better for overclocking ? 2 memory modules, or 4 ? Or does it not make any difference ? since back in the old days i remember 2 dimms where better then 4, deu to the memory controller..

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

2 sticks are always a better option.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@TDuiker said:

I am going to build a new system with a 4770K, a asus z87 sabertooth, and 8 gigs of dominator platinum. But now im wondering.. These days what is better for overclocking ? 2 memory modules, or 4 ? Or does it not make any difference ? since back in the old days i remember 2 dimms where better then 4, deu to the memory controller..

If the MOBO supports quad channel then go with this, if not get a pair of two.

There's no difference in actual gameplay when speaking about RAM speeds, nore quad or dual channel.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TDuiker

@@PredatorRules:

I am getting 1600MHz DDR3 Corsair Dominator platinum 8GB 8-8-8-24, And all im really interested in is OCing the CPU, and gaming wiht it. I allready have a GTX780, but my Q6600 at 3.6 GHz is bottlenecking my GPU. So by ram standards i just want some overclocking headroom.. But then im not to familiar with overcloking a 4th gen i7 with the UEFI. But ill learn ;)

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

I am getting 1600MHz DDR3 Corsair Dominator platinum 8GB 8-8-8-24, And all im really interested in is OCing the CPU, and gaming wiht it. I allready have a GTX780, but my Q6600 at 3.6 GHz is bottlenecking my GPU. So by ram standards i just want some overclocking headroom.. But then im not to familiar with overcloking a 4th gen i7 with the UEFI. But ill learn ;)

I can offer you to save some money and get other brands since there's almost none of my building rig suggestions that I've mentioned Corsair as a RAM brand, yes I know it's a good brand for RAM as well but they're overpriced.

Also not sure why do you need i7 for gaming, do you do other stuff with it as well, such as editing?

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TDuiker

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

I can offer you to save some money and get other brands since there's almost none of my building rig suggestions that I've mentioned Corsair as a RAM brand, yes I know it's a good brand for RAM as well but they're overpriced.

Also not sure why do you need i7 for gaming, do you do other stuff with it as well, such as editing?

Im getting a i7 Since i want my system to last, why do you think i still got a Q6600 ? Im not about to buy a new cpu every year :p And i like corsair memory, its good memory. plus the platinum style goes well with the sabertooth looks. So what brands would you suggest then ? i might look in to it, but since im from holland, i dont kow if theyll sell it here..

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GeryGo  Moderator

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

Im getting a i7 Since i want my system to last, why do you think i still got a Q6600 ? Im not about to buy a new cpu every year :p And i like corsair memory, its good memory. plus the platinum style goes well with the sabertooth looks. So what brands would you suggest then ? i might look in to it, but since im from holland, i dont kow if theyll sell it here..

You can be fine with i5 4670k for over 5 years or even more.

Good brands for RAM are:

• A - Data
  • Corsair
  • Crucial
  • G. Skill
  • Kingston
  • Mushkin
  • OCZ
  • Patriot
TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TDuiker

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

Good brands for RAM are:

• A - Data
  • Corsair
  • Crucial
  • G. Skill
  • Kingston
  • Mushkin
  • OCZ
  • Patriot

hmm i didnt even look at the 4670K its about 80 euros cheaper, and performance wise its kinda neglegable for me..

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/436/Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770.html

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TDuiker

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

Good brands for RAM are:

• A - Data
  • Corsair
  • Crucial
  • G. Skill
  • Kingston
  • Mushkin
  • OCZ
  • Patriot

Allright with a z87 sabertooth, a 4670K, and 2X4 gig or crucial ballistix tactical ive saved 139 euro :D the ballistix is even same speed, same timings as the corsair..

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GeryGo  Moderator

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

Good brands for RAM are:

• A - Data
  • Corsair
  • Crucial
  • G. Skill
  • Kingston
  • Mushkin
  • OCZ
  • Patriot

Allright with a z87 sabertooth, a 4670K, and 2X4 gig or crucial ballistix tactical ive saved 139 euro :D the ballistix is even same speed, same timings as the corsair..

Yeah as for their high end PSU and RAM dimms you mostly pay premium price just for the brand name.

140 euros save is excellent, you can get yourself something else with that money such as good CPU cooling, Noctua D14 I recommend unless you've got some big case then it's the Corsair 100i

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TDuiker

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@PredatorRules said:

@TDuiker said:

@@PredatorRules:

Good brands for RAM are:

• A - Data
  • Corsair
  • Crucial
  • G. Skill
  • Kingston
  • Mushkin
  • OCZ
  • Patriot

Yeah as for their high end PSU and RAM dimms you mostly pay premium price just for the brand name.

140 euros save is excellent, you can get yourself something else with that money such as good CPU cooling, Noctua D14 I recommend unless you've got some big case then it's the Corsair 100i

Well i got a custom waterloop, but the swiftech storm doesnt fit on s1150