Optical Out from PC to Surround Speakers = No volume control on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts

Title pretty much says it all. My logitech Z5500's finally came in, (btw by the time I made the other thread I had already ordered them), I had them plugged in through a direct signal(the green, orange and black cables) directly into the Titanium sound card and, while I could control the volume from my computer, the sound was sub-par, so I connected it through the optical cable and now it sounds like heaven but I can't control the volume through my PC, only with the remote or knob on the speaker's "reciever"/"hub".

Any way I can fix this?

EDIT: Also when I connect my xbox 360's audio through optical to my PC's sound card Optical In I can only get sound through it during the xbox's title screen and once I get to the dashboard there's no sound. Is it because the actual speakers are connect to the computer via the direct signal and not optical?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Do you have Dolby Digital Live enabled?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Title pretty much says it all. My logitech Z5500's finally came in, (btw by the time I made the other thread I had already ordered them), I had them plugged in through a direct signal(the green, orange and black cables) directly into the Titanium sound card and, while I could control the volume from my computer, the sound was sub-par, so I connected it through the optical cable and now it sounds like heaven but I can't control the volume through my PC, only with the remote or knob on the speaker's "reciever"/"hub".

Any way I can fix this?

EDIT: Also when I connect my xbox 360's audio through optical to my PC's sound card Optical In I can only get sound through it during the xbox's title screen and once I get to the dashboard there's no sound. Is it because the actual speakers are connect to the computer via the direct signal and not optical?

nintendog66

With PC you definitely want the 3 analog hookups. It beats optical by far. You might've had stereo enabled instead of 6 channel direct and Dolby pro logic might have been on too. you can't control Dolby Digital Live/DTS Connect volume from the computer. It's all done by the receiver. the computer just encodes the signal and sends it out. It doesn't take full advantage of your sound card at all. When in Game Mode, EAX 5 kicks in (only 2.0 in other modes,) and older games that take advantage of that sound a lot better (You need ALchemy if your on Vista/windows 7.) EAX 5 is unable to be put through optical/SPDIF according to Creative. Plus 6 channel analog allows for fully uncompressed audio where as optical allows only for 2 channel uncompressed OR 5.1 compressed (which is Dolby Digital and DTS.)

With every surround receiver I've had also, X-Fi Crystallizer seems to love to distort the hell out of my sound when its above 50% and its barely noticeable at 50%. Just incased you ever have that problem you know how to fix it :P It's not complete distortion, but my front speakers especially sound like they're blown out. That may have just been a creative problem because since I've gotten the Auzentech X-Fi Forte, it hasn't been nearly as bad.

The reason your 360 isn't getting sound is because Creative is ****ing cheap and doesn't allow pass-through on their cards. The dashboard is only 2 channel audio so it can see that, but once it goes to Dolby Digital/DTS it refuses to play anything. I had the same problem when my first surround receiver only had 1 optical in and I didn't know what to look for to get more, so I just got a new sound card (plus it was on sale and my Audigy 2 ZS was outdated. Got a X-Fi titanium fatal1ty.) Kept trying to get the PS3 working through that and it took forever to find the correct answer. If you need more optical inputs, get this.

If you need anymore help just let me know.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
A bit weird your highend card can't do that because I have a Gigabyte mobo with onboard sound and it allows pass through audio :lol: