Optical Mouse and FPS games!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by war3 (103 posts) -

I play mainly fps games such as Counterstrike and Call of Duty Multiplayer where mouse responsiveness is pretty important.  I need to upgrade my mouse badly and i and wondering what you guys think is the best gaming mouse to get (as far as optical, not traditional ball mouse).  Also, I am seriously considering getting a wireless mouse but have heard that perhaps the response time might not be as good especially during online play???  Do you guys use wireless opitical mice for FPS games and do you think that is the way to go?  Thanks alot guys!

#2 Posted by Deinonych (142 posts) -
I've been using a Logitech MX518 for the past two years. It is a fantastic mouse.  It has very smooth response, with adjustable DPI settings.    Logitech also makes the G5 mouse, which has adjustable weights for a more custom feel.  Both mice are corded.  In my experience, corded provides better responsiveness for FPS games.  The wireless mice I have tried seem to have a bit of lag to me.
#3 Posted by ufopuller (6045 posts) -
Looking to go with optical/recharagable too.  Could not handle a lag in FPS
#4 Posted by PC-Gamer (463 posts) -

The G7 is probably the most reponsive wireless mouse out there. It's a bit expensive but I got it for 70 bucks. I also hear great things about the G5.

#5 Posted by doubutsuteki (2905 posts) -

I play mainly fps games such as Counterstrike and Call of Duty Multiplayer where mouse responsiveness is pretty important. I need to upgrade my mouse badly and i and wondering what you guys think is the best gaming mouse to get (as far as optical, not traditional ball mouse). Also, I am seriously considering getting a wireless mouse but have heard that perhaps the response time might not be as good especially during online play??? Do you guys use wireless opitical mice for FPS games and do you think that is the way to go? Thanks alot guys!

war3

I'm not sure about optical mouse models. But whatever you do, don't get a wireless mouse.

#6 Posted by Nerfing (1471 posts) -
Just buy a plain ole' optical mouse. You don't need any fancy prancie gaming tools that can pwnageanyonefromafar. Just plain ole microsoft mouse.
#7 Posted by acsguitar (1840 posts) -
[QUOTE="war3"]

I play mainly fps games such as Counterstrike and Call of Duty Multiplayer where mouse responsiveness is pretty important. I need to upgrade my mouse badly and i and wondering what you guys think is the best gaming mouse to get (as far as optical, not traditional ball mouse). Also, I am seriously considering getting a wireless mouse but have heard that perhaps the response time might not be as good especially during online play??? Do you guys use wireless opitical mice for FPS games and do you think that is the way to go? Thanks alot guys!

doubutsuteki

I'm not sure about optical mouse models. But whatever you do, don't get a wireless mouse.

Why not get a wireless mouse? They are still almost as responsive. I play from my couch to my 37" HD TV so I need wireless.
#8 Posted by elemental_drago (1816 posts) -

The G7 is probably the most reponsive wireless mouse out there. It's a bit expensive but I got it for 70 bucks. I also hear great things about the G5.

PC-Gamer

I have a G5 and love it for games, especially first peron shooters. Being able to customize the sensitivity of the x and y axis individually is great (especially for sniping). Same with the weights for comfort. I'm not trying to say that the G5 = insta-leet but it doesn't hurt.:P

#9 Posted by Snid0 (444 posts) -

Why not get a wireless mouse? They are still almost as responsive. I play from my couch to my 37" HD TV so I need wireless. acsguitar

If you are serious, then 'almost as responsive' is not good enough.

I, like you, have steered clear of wireless mice, so I don't know if they have a disadvantage, but enough people have said it to me that I think it must be true.

Logitech MX510 or MX518 are good mice and I have heard that the G5 is also good.

My son has a Saitek Gaming Mouse which he seems to be happy with for CS.

Razer Copperhead I have heard praise about too.

But in the end a good mouse like one of these will blow away something like Microsoft Optical Mouse (which is OK.)  I know the Logitech models above have extra buttons that you can assign in CoD to Bash or Grenade - so that's useful.  Spend £30 ($50?) on a mouse if you play a lot of FPS. 

#10 Posted by CPM_basic (4247 posts) -

Get a Razer Copperhead. The most repsonsive mouse in existence (fact), only mouse with 1000hz polling rate, has 2000dpi, sweet shape and it glows blue! Best gaming mouse I've ever used.

#11 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40116 posts) -

I've been using a Logitech MX518 for the past two years. It is a fantastic mouse.  It has very smooth response, with adjustable DPI settings.    Logitech also makes the G5 mouse, which has adjustable weights for a more custom feel.  Both mice are corded.  In my experience, corded provides better responsiveness for FPS games.  The wireless mice I have tried seem to have a bit of lag to me.Deinonych

Everything he said is true.  So very true.  I love my MX518.

#12 Posted by Snid0 (444 posts) -
Also, if you're worried about the cord catching on things - well I stick a sticky net-curtain hook on the side of my PC and loop the cord over it.  Gives me freer movement.
#13 Posted by Judza (4637 posts) -
Got a Logitech G7 as well. It was normally around AUD $180 but i got mine at a bargain price of AUD $99 (equal to about US $70). It's wireless but it's extremely responsive and reliable. If you can get it for a good deal, go with either G5 or G7 as the "sensitivity on the fly" and the customisable axis sensitivity really can help in FPS games.
#14 Posted by Sniper5904 (1086 posts) -
Just buy a plain ole' optical mouse. You don't need any fancy prancie gaming tools that can pwnageanyonefromafar. Just plain ole microsoft mouse. Nerfing
No, that's not true, cheap optical mice will not suffice especially in fps. I've gone through several cheap mice and every other game the mouse would just lose control completely leaving my character spinning in circles and looking up into the sky. I have yet to have that happen with a Logitech MX series mouse. Another thing to take note of, on cheap mice, the mouse "sleeps" (you can tell by the led dimming down), on the higher end mice (probably the Microsoft one as well), the mouse will always remain active which is important for just about any game.
#15 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
I also support the MX518. It was fairly cheap, it feels nice in the hand and sure as hell better than that wireless optical mini-mouse I had before for laptop.
#16 Posted by Alkpaz (2069 posts) -

Get a Razer Copperhead. The most repsonsive mouse in existence (fact), only mouse with 1000hz polling rate, has 2000dpi, sweet shape and it glows blue! Best gaming mouse I've ever used.

CPM_basic

It also has its own RAM.. a nice added benefit over the G5. 

#17 Posted by anshul89 (5700 posts) -

CPM_basic
Razer mice own but you will need a good mouse pad too
#18 Posted by ElectricNZ (2457 posts) -
You can overclock the usb port so that most mice can have 1000hz polling rate... Logitech mice are far more ergonomic than Razer mice, if you want a Razer check out the deathadder, it's actually ergonomic for once. Do not listen to people who say "whatever you do don't get wireless" they don't know what they are talking about. Logitech G7 and MX1000 (which I use) both use fast RF wireless which is the same as wired usb 2.0 and if you think that lags then the few hundred mb per second transfer obviously isnt enough for your uber fast mouse movements ;) You do need a good mousepad to go along with the mouse, I use a Razer pro pad. Pads really come down to personal preference but my pad is double sided for rough and smooth and its got a nice strong anodized aluminium core.
#19 Posted by DavidFry1 (48 posts) -

I use G7 optical mouse. It's the best mouse I ever used. I don't notice any lag. Its a good choice for people with big hands. I tried the MX518 but it is to small for my hands. My advice would be to got to stores that different mice. And see how they feel in your hand.

#20 Posted by happy2012 (272 posts) -
I Love my G5 laser mouse over my old MX518 optical mouse.
#21 Posted by Scatsofrango (555 posts) -
You surely need a mouse higher than 1500 dpi resolution. Try G7, if you want a wireless, and G5 if a cord doesn´t bother you.
#22 Posted by AngelB1ack (7936 posts) -
You cant go wrong with the mx518 or the g5.
#23 Posted by 0_Wii_Man_0 (919 posts) -
Razer deathadder is the newest mouse out there and by the reviews the best. i got it a couple days after it launched and its even better than the reviews say. you can adjust and customize everything on it from the polling rate to the x and y axis speed to the 2 extra buttons on the side. i highly recommend it. oh and the DPI settings are 500 1200 and 1800. and on top of that your can control the sensitivity of each DPI setting extremely fast.
#24 Posted by wallydog63 (204 posts) -
Man forget the mice. I hate mice. For the last 10 or more years I've been using the logitech thumb trackball, and I wont go back to mice. It's so much better. I gave my sister my old one, six years later she still using (not my old one, she had to go buy a new one) the one and only thumb trackball. She wont go back now either. It took me no time to get used to. Give it a try.
#25 Posted by Ace_V0rn (433 posts) -
Logitech G5 Laser mouse. Best mouse I have ever used.
#26 Posted by johnnyb47 (408 posts) -
Man forget the mice. I hate mice. For the last 10 or more years I've been using the logitech thumb trackball, and I wont go back to mice. It's so much better. I gave my sister my old one, six years later she still using (not my old one, she had to go buy a new one) the one and only thumb trackball. She wont go back now either. It took me no time to get used to. Give it a try.wallydog63
Sorry, but I think all those jokes concerning playing Quake III with a trackball didn't come out of thin air. I say stick with a G5.
#27 Posted by fatMasterFlex (129 posts) -

i like using my old mouse remember" the only real way to master a game is by using crap at your disposal"

#28 Posted by balla4162 (680 posts) -
 you should get a sunbeam gaming mouse 1300 dpi its a really good mouse i have one and its only 20 bux
#29 Posted by ElectricNZ (2457 posts) -
you do realise that high dpi is more of a marketing tool, dpi is basically sensitivity which is why on a g5 you can switch the dpi with the buttons which changes sensitivity. Although you will always want to run at the highest DPI and the lowest in-game sensitivity.
#30 Posted by -Dragon_Hunter- (29 posts) -

I'm using a Logitech G5 myself. Works great, and you can instantly switch the sensetivity of the mouse between three different modes, preset at 400 dpi (Slow), 800 dpi (Standard) and 2000 dpi (Super Fast). You can customize those however you wish between 400 and 2000 dpi though. Using it together with a 4D Steelpad, and that combo works great.

Oh, and not to forget the weights. They did wonders for me, once i found a combination that suits me perfectly. They say the mouse has been developed together with pro gamers, and it's noticable.