Opinions on my new system?

#1 Posted by Tehwubs (7 posts) -

Hi, I'm currently deciding on which parts to use in my new build; with a budget of £800ish I've managed the specs below, however your opinions (i.e what to change or add), and if somebody could possibly offer a rough benchmark for this build, I would greatly appreciate it :3

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£84.72)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.60) [Eventually upping to 16GB]

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.56)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£238.52) [With the possibility of upgrading to 2 way SLI]

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£40.82)

PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.28)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.72) [I'm tempted to upgrade this to Blu-ray]

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.96)

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30425 posts) -

Everything seems good.

But you should get a 700w or more for a possible sli

#3 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16630 posts) -

If you want to watch Blu ray movies, sure. But no games use blu ray.

#4 Edited by evildead6789 (7881 posts) -

@tehwubs said:

Hi, I'm currently deciding on which parts to use in my new build; with a budget of £800ish I've managed the specs below, however your opinions (i.e what to change or add), and if somebody could possibly offer a rough benchmark for this build, I would greatly appreciate it :3

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£84.72)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.60) [Eventually upping to 16GB]

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.56)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£238.52) [With the possibility of upgrading to 2 way SLI]

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£40.82)

PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.28)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.72) [I'm tempted to upgrade this to Blu-ray]

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.96)

The intel core I5-4670k uses dual channel memory ram. You need to buy two sticks ( 2 x 4 gb). If the cpu was triple channel you need to buy 3 sticks of ram. If you don't overclock you can buy cheaper ram.

I never like seagate barracuda drives because where I worked they seemed to brake more than for example western digital, don't quote me on this, seagate could have become better or it could have been another reason (transportation, packaging or bad storage for example)

Also do you need 3 tb, I have 1,5 tb and it's hard to get that full. However once you start storing blueray movies it will never be enough. But for games 3 tb is a lot.

I would prefer an asus pcb for your gtx 770. (directcu II)

Get a tx corsair psu, don't cheap out on your psu.

If you overclock I would get a third party cooler like the very popular coolermaster hyper 212.

Sli is nice, but will you do that, there are cheaper motherboards out there that don't support sli, that doesn't mean you have to chose low quality though. I have always preferred asus but asrock is good too. I only say this because you said you wanted to keep it under 800, that motherboard you posted is a good motherboard.

For sli you'll need a stronger psu too, like monsieurx already pointed out.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (2241 posts) -

The PSU is fine if your not going to SLI, I think SLI and crossfire are not really worth the cost and potentially awkward set up.

#6 Posted by IvanElk (3798 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

The PSU is fine if your not going to SLI, I think SLI and crossfire are not really worth the cost and potentially awkward set up.

It is when the cards get cheaper and you don't have enough to get the most recently released GPU.

I am with monsieur go ahead and up the wattage for the PSU if you are considering it for a future upgrade.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3e19t enjoy =)

#8 Posted by GarGx1 (2757 posts) -
@evildead6789 said:

@tehwubs said:

Hi, I'm currently deciding on which parts to use in my new build; with a budget of £800ish I've managed the specs below, however your opinions (i.e what to change or add), and if somebody could possibly offer a rough benchmark for this build, I would greatly appreciate it :3

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99)

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£84.72)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.60) [Eventually upping to 16GB]

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.56)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£238.52) [With the possibility of upgrading to 2 way SLI]

Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£40.82)

PSU: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.28)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.72) [I'm tempted to upgrade this to Blu-ray]

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£69.96)

The intel core I5-4670k uses dual channel memory ram. You need to buy two sticks ( 2 x 4 gb). If the cpu was triple channel you need to buy 3 sticks of ram. If you don't overclock you can buy cheaper ram.

I never like seagate barracuda drives because where I worked they seemed to brake more than for example western digital, don't quote me on this, seagate could have become better or it could have been another reason (transportation, packaging or bad storage for example)

Also do you need 3 tb, I have 1,5 tb and it's hard to get that full. However once you start storing blueray movies it will never be enough. But for games 3 tb is a lot.

I would prefer an asus pcb for your gtx 770. (directcu II)

Get a tx corsair psu, don't cheap out on your psu.

If you overclock I would get a third party cooler like the very popular coolermaster hyper 212.

Sli is nice, but will you do that, there are cheaper motherboards out there that don't support sli, that doesn't mean you have to chose low quality though. I have always preferred asus but asrock is good too. I only say this because you said you wanted to keep it under 800, that motherboard you posted is a good motherboard.

For sli you'll need a stronger psu too, like monsieurx already pointed out.

Some good advice here

I had a Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 motherboard and it was a great buy (it's now in my wife's machine) coupled with a i5 2500k

MSi are good but Asus Directcu II card/coolers are better

Definitely never cheap out on you PSU, a PSU fault will easily take out the motherboard, CPU, RAM or GPU and in the worst cases all of the above. Something like a Corsair AX 760w, they are modular, 80+ platinum rated efficiency, gives you plenty of wriggle room for future changes. Do stick with a Corsair PSU, they come with 7 year warranties.

@PredatorRules said:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3e19t enjoy =)

Nice strong system (even though I'm not a red team fan). Why the micro ATX mobo?

#9 Edited by PredatorRules (8136 posts) -

@GarGx1 said:
@PredatorRules said:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3e19t enjoy =)

Nice strong system (even though I'm not a red team fan). Why the micro ATX mobo?

Thank you =)

Chose it because it was the cheapest.

#10 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

Get a tx corsair psu, don't cheap out on your psu.

I couldn't agree more. I got a gold rated corsair psu, my energy efficiency went up around 25%. Also EVGA is amazing also - got a gold psu from them, and gained even more power savings using that on another pc i had.

Under max load on old psu, 304 watts.

Under max load on gold evga power 249 watts.

So go gold rated psu in the long run will save you money in power.

#11 Posted by Tehwubs (7 posts) -

Thanks for all of the advice, I'd like to keep the motherboard the same, SLI is really something I'd like to be able to upgrade to in the future (although if anybody can recommend a cheaper/more appropriate motherboard I'd appreciate it). However, as for the hard drive, there's practically a £30 difference between 1TB and 3TB, so really I think I'd like to keep it :P And I have a couple of friends with them who haven't had any problems, so I think that maybe I'll take the risk? Thanks for the advice on the ram though, although I'm slightly curious, would the processor allow for me to use 4x4GB? I'd like to eventually upgrade to 16GB, so would I be able to do that or would it be better to just wait and get 2x8GB straight off the bat? Also, thanks for the build, however I'm kinda picky when it comes to Intel/Nvidia vs AMD, so I'd rather stick to an Intel processor and Nvidia GPU. As for the power supply could anybody link me to what they think would be appropriate, and would allow for SLI in the future? Finally, I really like the case that I've chosen, but would it be okay to use? Like... Is there enough space, would I be able to use my motherboard to it's potential without having to but a new case or change things around? And will it accommodate two GPUs and/or a cooler for the CPU? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm relatively new to this, I've only ever helped build systems that have had a budget of around £500-600 so what I've worked with before has been fairly limited :P And it's obvious that (even without the 16GB or SLI) I'm probably going to have to kick the price up a little bit, so if it would be possible to keep it within the £900 range that would be great, thank you :3

#12 Edited by evildead6789 (7881 posts) -

@tehwubs said:

Thanks for all of the advice, I'd like to keep the motherboard the same, SLI is really something I'd like to be able to upgrade to in the future (although if anybody can recommend a cheaper/more appropriate motherboard I'd appreciate it). However, as for the hard drive, there's practically a £30 difference between 1TB and 3TB, so really I think I'd like to keep it :P And I have a couple of friends with them who haven't had any problems, so I think that maybe I'll take the risk? Thanks for the advice on the ram though, although I'm slightly curious, would the processor allow for me to use 4x4GB? I'd like to eventually upgrade to 16GB, so would I be able to do that or would it be better to just wait and get 2x8GB straight off the bat? Also, thanks for the build, however I'm kinda picky when it comes to Intel/Nvidia vs AMD, so I'd rather stick to an Intel processor and Nvidia GPU. As for the power supply could anybody link me to what they think would be appropriate, and would allow for SLI in the future? Finally, I really like the case that I've chosen, but would it be okay to use? Like... Is there enough space, would I be able to use my motherboard to it's potential without having to but a new case or change things around? And will it accommodate two GPUs and/or a cooler for the CPU? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm relatively new to this, I've only ever helped build systems that have had a budget of around £500-600 so what I've worked with before has been fairly limited :P And it's obvious that (even without the 16GB or SLI) I'm probably going to have to kick the price up a little bit, so if it would be possible to keep it within the £900 range that would be great, thank you :3

If you have four memory slots , you will be able to use 4 x 4 gb. Make sure you use the same kind of ram tough.

Apart from that, 16 GB is too much for gaming. I only use like 3.5 gb while gaming and i have 2 x 4 gb. However there could be other reasons why you need 16gb , server platforms for example or with gpu's that use a lot of vram , but that's not for today and I doubt it will be for the near future, with dx 12 on the doorstep, optimizations for textures & memory sizes will vastly improve video memory use.

Same with the hdd , it's not because it's bigger , it will break down easier, it's just if you never need it, why spend the extra money. If you start storing movies , you will have to clean up anyway sooner or later even with 3tb. If you want to store them forever, that's another matter, but do realize, these harddrives will break down eventually. If you have bad electricity it's one of the first things that will go, however, your beefy psu will protect you for a big part but even then if you don't backup there's always a chance you'll lose everything. How much 30 pounds is for you , I don't know but these are the facts. :)

If you want to do sli, I suggest you stick with that motherboard. If you go lower in price, you will also go lower in quality, or in features. You will pretty much need all the features on this mobo when you go sli and I wouldn't go any lower in quality. These cpu's will last you a long time, so a quality motherboard is advised.

This psu would be real good

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/760w-corsair-ax760-full-modular-80-plus-platinum-92-eff-eps-12v-sli-crossfire-1-x-120mm-fan-atx-psu

Your case is good enough, any mid tower will do (that has a bit of gaming in mind, so needs ventilation)

I don't think anyone advised you amd, just another pcb that means asus instead of msi for example, the chip would be the same (the gtx 770) only the board where the chip is on and the cooling are different.

This is the asus direct cu II version of the gtx 770

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtx770dc2oc2gd5

greetings