Opinions on Borderlands The Pre Sequel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I'll start with my opinon:

Horrible level design, especially with that stupid jumping on low gravity, some annoying places you can't reach and you're forced to go all around, I've also encountered a place when your only option is to jump off a cliff, then die, then teleport back at the loss of money.

Bad jokes, really bad jokes that I wouldn't know who's able to laugh at it, was playing in for the last 2 hours with a friend co-op, neither did he laugh about anything.

Crappy start, you've got no idea who're the characters, what's going on and to finish it - you're given a crappy pistols that miss unless you stand very close at the targets.

Leveling up is almost pointless, I mean choosing the skills - they're almost identical, you start by choosing whether you want to to more damage which is about 4/6 starting skills and the other 2 are for more tanki builds for larger HP or shield capacity.

Overall my score for this game is 5/10 based on my progress so far, I thought about 6 but then the game annoyed me even more.

2K Australia made this game with assistance of Gearbox Software while the original and the 2nd games were made only by Gearbox Software, I think 2K Australia ruined it.

So far my suggestion is to replay original Borderlands GOTY or the 2nd GOTY.

What are your thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small update: Torgue side missions are the only funny and fun missions so far, I wish more of that in the game.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules: It's a decent game but more like Borderlands 2.5 than a true sequel. I didn't really have any of the problems you mentioned. I don't think it should be a $60 game, it should have been $40. I'd give it an 8/10 so far, it's just more of the same and that's not really a bad thing.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@saintsatan said:

@PredatorRules: It's a decent game but more like Borderlands 2.5 than a true sequel. I didn't really have any of the problems you mentioned. I don't think it should be a $60 game, it should have been $40. I'd give it an 8/10 so far, it's just more of the same and that's not really a bad thing.

I'm about to erase it entirely, this doesn't feel like Borderlands 2.5, more like Borderlands 1/4, I mean really how badly can you f&ck a game that is already there fully built, waiting for you to customize it a bit and maybe improve it.

I wouldn't pay it 15$, in fact you can buy Borderlands GOTY for 7$ and Borderlands 2 GOTY for 9$ on G2A.com - get them both - you'll enjoy them MUCH more and you'll have some spare change.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

I haven't played Pre-Sequel yet but most of those things you mentioned can also be said about Borderlands 2 (I never played part 1).

- Places you can't reach and have to go around

- Weak weapons at the start

- Humour so bad it's funny in parts

etc???

Borderlands gets better as you get stronger.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

@PredatorRules: Heh. I think it's alright for something that may as well have been dlc. definitely not worth $60 and especially not worth $90 if you get the season pass as well. Character development and story was never BL strongest area. Jackobs pistols are where it's at, high fire rate, meant to be used up close. Jokes were always bad.

"Horrible level design, especially with that stupid jumping on low gravity, some annoying places you can't reach and you're forced to go all around....."

Heh. you're talking about the Regolith Range area, aren't you? yeah that pissed me off too. Other than that it's everything I expected. I agree with the GS 7/10 score.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

I haven't played Pre-Sequel yet but most of those things you mentioned can also be said about Borderlands 2 (I never played part 1).

etc???

Sounds like Borderland 1 and 2 which I enjoyed. I am gonna get it on sale around $40.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

etc???

Can't go around yes, not when you have low gravity jump which allows you to jump higher.

I think the humor is a grabrage humor, I like South Park humor but The Pre Sequel! have reached a level where it's no longer funny.

I don't complain that I suck at the game, I complain that it's completely out of the 1st and 2nd level of the same game.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

etc???

Can't go around yes, not when you have low gravity jump which allows you to jump higher.

I think the humor is a grabrage humor, I like South Park humor but The Pre Sequel! have reached a level where it's no longer funny.

I don't complain that I suck at the game, I complain that it's completely out of the 1st and 2nd level of the same game.

Its australian humour at the request of gearbox. The voice acting is bad because it was just average people from the studio, another request from Gearbox themselves.

I knew this game wouldnt go down well with anyone that isnt australian considering its filled with references that you probably wont get.

Just like the bogan gun.
jumbuck, tuckerbag etc etc.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@darksusperia said:

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

etc???

Its australian humour at the request of gearbox. The voice acting is bad because it was just average people from the studio, another request from Gearbox themselves.

I knew this game wouldnt go down well with anyone that isnt australian considering its filled with references that you probably wont get.

Just like the bogan gun.

Australian humour you say?

I did not know that....

Buying this for sure now, lol.... GO THE BOGAN GUN !!!

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@PredatorRules said:
I've also encountered a place when your only option is to jump off a cliff, then die, then teleport back at the loss of money.

I'd really like to know where you encountered this. I've done all quests and side quest and I haven't encountered this quest. I'm almost positive you're talking about the early quest where you have to jump up and grab the thing that's hanging off the edge. If you fell then that's your own dumb fault. It's easily possible to land safely on the ground to the side on a small platform.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia

@FelipeInside said:

@darksusperia said:

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

@PredatorRules said:

What are your thoughts?

etc???

Just like the bogan gun.

Australian humour you say?

I did not know that....

Buying this for sure now, lol.... GO THE BOGAN GUN !!!

Go Watch the good game review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beq_AcaWq8s

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/10/in-borderlands-the-pre-sequel-the-moon-is-basically-australia/

Matt Armstrong is the Franchise Director of Borderlands. He basically guides the direction of the Borderlands ‘brand’.
“The game had all this Australian slang, these australian accents,” he remembers. “2K Australia was like, we thought we got rid of that stuff. We were like, no: we have no idea what you’re talking about.” He had no idea what the characters were talking about. And he loved it."

“There were all these random words that no-one in the US department understood,” says Matt. That was seen as a good thing."

"JONATHAN PELLING
When we started we weren't planning on making, bringing sort of an Australian flavour. The story is that we did our first lot of scratch recordings. We want to record temporary VO so that we can start hearing the characters speak in the game before we've brought in the proper actors. And so we use people from around the office to do the scratch VO. So we've suddenly got all these really bad Australian voice actors in the game and Gearbox loved it so much that they said why aren't you just making these characters Australian? We thought, we're Australian. We're making part of this game, maybe we should! And it basically snowballed from there.

MATT ARMSTRONG
I love the fact maybe more than anything else that the moon is so Australia.

JONATHAN PELLING
We call the moon "up-over" instead of "down-under". We call various locations around the world by Australian sounding names like Back-a-bourke and Burra Burra. There are characters and stories in the game, especially on the moon that are derived from Australian culture and tales and Legends that we have.
------------------
HEX
It'll be interesting to see how well this game is received overseas with such a strong Aussie flavor; particularly the sense of humour.
------------------

So, its borderlands: Australia.

Deal with it. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

I've been really looking forward to this as I'm a massive BL fan. But seeing as it was being made by a different studio I'm waiting for all the reviews just in case.

@darksusperia OMG I just watched that first vid review that you posted. They are the worse most annoying reviewers I've ever seen. They're like local radio DJ's.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@saintsatan said:

@PredatorRules said:
I've also encountered a place when your only option is to jump off a cliff, then die, then teleport back at the loss of money.

I'd really like to know where you encountered this. I've done all quests and side quest and I haven't encountered this quest. I'm almost positive you're talking about the early quest where you have to jump up and grab the thing that's hanging off the edge. If you fell then that's your own dumb fault. It's easily possible to land safely on the ground to the side on a small platform.

Lots of places at the 1-4 hours from the start, the level design is just crap, it's like trying to reach a ledge at the original Soul River with Raziel, I only wish the made the jump about 15-20% higher - that's all.

Trying to make your 1st or 2nd vehicle jump also went bad as you need to be 100% precise.

No, my friend did that side quest with the collect echo something and it was on the 1st try.

@darksusperia I guess not everyone appealed by Aussie slang, all I know what is Hoonigan and that's from Ken Block driving mate :D

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darksusperia

@PredatorRules: Aussie slang/humour is hard to "get" when you're not australian, for the most part.

I think most people arent going to like it as much just simply because they wont understand the jokes/humour, or they will find the bogan gun a bit much.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I will agree that the vehicle jumps need to be fixed in the first 3 hours or so. There are at least 2 I can name that require not only perfect timing but perfect angle to hit and not die.

As for the rest, me and my buddy are having fun. I'm not totally sold on class balance atm, Wilhelm seems a bit OP like Gauge was in BL2 and I think they should boost the base damage on Athena's shield throw, but overall it is fun. I enjoy the Borderlands humor (I laughed pretty hard at the first Torque quest, I hope we get another Torque expansion) and I like the new characters so far. I really like the new laser weapons and one of my favorite weapons from the first game is back, Masher Revolvers (high accuracy, high damage shotgun revolvers).

I think what it boils down to is if you like BL in general you will enjoy it, if you aren't a fan of BL you probably won't. I for one am enjoying it.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

There are annoying parts, mainly the travel but the game is probably the most gorgeous game that exists in terms of graphics. Play it on a big 3dtv with an xbox controller it's simply the most stunning game I've ever seen. The color palette is absurdly beautiful.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@rabakill said:

There are annoying parts, mainly the travel but the game is probably the most gorgeous game that exists in terms of graphics. Play it on a big 3dtv with an xbox controller it's simply the most stunning game I've ever seen. The color palette is absurdly beautiful.

Not sure if troll or dead serious...

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@rabakill said:

Not sure if troll or dead serious...

Crysis 3 is one beautiful game and also Metro Last Light is a beautiful game at least to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59088 Posts

I forgot I pre-ordered it lol.

But yea the humor (at least in 1/2) is absolute shit. You look at Valve with Team Fortress 2 and Portal, that's how it's done.

Visually the game looks beautiful in screenshots but, while Valve has highly emotive characters with brillaint animation, these guys look blankly into space and don't even make eye contact. Perhaps a free pass on the first game, but it's had two sequels now + A dozen pieces of DLC.

The actual "bang bang" is very good imo and one of the main reasons I enjoy it. It still has clunky console feel with a cross-hair that takes up 1/4 of the screen but by modern days games it's better than most. The loot and character builds are too streamlined though. Burn out well before reaching the end.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

@insane_metalist: they are high res good detail but BLPS craps all over them, so cliche, someone doesn't have the same opinion as you therefore they are a troll. Dumbass

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@uninspiredcup said:

I forgot I pre-ordered it lol.

But yea the humor (at least in 1/2) is absolute shit. You look at Valve with Team Fortress 2 and Portal, that's how it's done.

Visually the game looks beautiful in screenshots but, while Valve has highly emotive characters with brillaint animation, these guys look blankly into space and don't even make eye contact. Perhaps a free pass on the first game, but it's had two sequels now + A dozen pieces of DLC.

The actual "bang bang" is very good imo and one of the main reasons I enjoy it. It still has clunky console feel with a cross-hair that takes up 1/4 of the screen but by modern days games it's better than most. The loot and character builds are too streamlined though. Burn out well before reaching the end.

I haven't played Pre-Sequel yet but it's made by an Australian company, so the humour is straight down Aussie.... so most people outside Australia probably won't get the jokes/humour.

I never played Borderlands1, but I finally decided to give Borderlands2 a go a few weeks back and personally I feel it has one of the best shooting mechanics out there.... the gameplay just feels so natural and fun. I think it was a bit too long though for my tastes.

I've heard Pre-Sequel is about 10 hours shorter, so hopefully will be the perfect length for me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 uninspiredcup

Aye, just having a long game doesn't automatically equal better. Borderlands probably is a series that would benefit from pruning.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

This seems more like a sequel than Borderlands 2 was. The class differences seem more meaningful and interesting and the environments feel less like cow fields.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

The game is hilarious, its Aussie humour so anyone outside of Aus/NZ wont understand a thing, the vehicle race is the best bit IMO.

"5............4...3..2 and half, 2 and a quarter........1, go" LMAO, I had to pause it just to stop laughing.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darksusperia

@GTR12 said:

The game is hilarious, its Aussie humour so anyone outside of Aus/NZ wont understand a thing, the vehicle race is the best bit IMO.

"5............4...3..2 and half, 2 and a quarter........1, go" LMAO, I had to pause it just to stop laughing.

When I saw that in a review I lost it.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GTR12

@darksusperia said:

@GTR12 said:

I wont spoil it for anyone here so I didn't mention too much, but there's a lot of that humour.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

@darksusperia said:

@GTR12 said:

I wont spoil it for anyone here so I didn't mention too much, but there's a lot of that humour.

Race part was kinda nice, BTW any opinions on Nina the Nurse? I think it's an insult to anyone who speaks Russian, at one point she even said yes in almost German accent.

Is it really that hard to find someone who speaks English in very strong Russian accent? or are there no Russians in Australia? even if not you could pay someone online to do the voice acting - easiest method

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

If you thought Borderlands was painfully unlikeable and not-so-charming with it's absurdly lame humor and unoriginal visual style, do you think I'd like the pre-sequel? I only played a few hours of the first, is more of the same? You know - small amount of generic plain-Jane classes, gear all looks/acts the same with small variations, small skill-set, repetitive missions (often "fetch" or "go to x and kill y"), stuff like that?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GTR12

@PredatorRules said:

Race part was kinda nice, BTW any opinions on Nina the Nurse? I think it's an insult to anyone who speaks Russian, at one point she even said yes in almost German accent.

Is it really that hard to find someone who speaks English in very strong Russian accent? or are there no Russians in Australia? even if not you could pay someone online to do the voice acting - easiest method

That's a joke itself, there's quite a few Russians assuming you look in the right places. Nina is what happens to a typical Russian person when they have lived here far too long, lol.

When they say yes, it sounds German because of their Russian accent mixed with an Australian accent, the game is a lot of Australiana, even the Red Belly guy, that's an easter egg sort of.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GeryGo  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules said:

That's a joke itself, there's quite a few Russians assuming you look in the right places. Nina is what happens to a typical Russian person when they have lived here far too long, lol.

When they say yes, it sounds German because of their Russian accent mixed with an Australian accent, the game is a lot of Australiana, even the Red Belly guy, that's an easter egg sort of.

What kind of joke is that by making bad Russian accent? they didn't f&ck up with Marcus munitions, and why the hell did they bring another Russian person to the game?

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darksusperia

@PredatorRules said:

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules said:

What kind of joke is that by making bad Russian accent? they didn't f&ck up with Marcus munitions, and why the hell did they bring another Russian person to the game?

Cause they can?, why not?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

@KHAndAnime said:

If you thought Borderlands was painfully unlikeable and not-so-charming with it's absurdly lame humor and unoriginal visual style, do you think I'd like the pre-sequel? I only played a few hours of the first, is more of the same? You know - small amount of generic plain-Jane classes, gear all looks/acts the same with small variations, small skill-set, repetitive missions (often "fetch" or "go to x and kill y"), stuff like that?

More or less the same thing but with better done classes.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GTR12

@darksusperia said:

@PredatorRules said:

Yep exactly, no-one understands Australian humour, except for some NZ and Canadian people, we make fun of everyone, including other Australians (Bogun gun, Red Belly and lots more).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

@darksusperia said:

@PredatorRules said:

Yep exactly, no-one understands Australian humour, except for some NZ and Canadian people, we make fun of everyone, including other Australians (Bogun gun, Red Belly and lots more).

I just heard there is a shotgun that talks, lololololol.... getting this as soon as I get paid.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@GTR12 said:

@darksusperia said:

@PredatorRules said:

I just heard there is a shotgun that talks, lololololol.... getting this as soon as I get paid.

I got it, it curses a lot XD (last side quest by Pickle)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

See, now you like it lol

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GeryGo  Moderator

@GTR12 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@FelipeInside said:

See, now you like it lol

You need to get more into the game, I still call some BS on invisible walls / trying to reach places ending up in death by lava, and the whole low gravity crap that made me loose some epic items into the lava pit.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Borderlands 1 with friends was pretty fun. I got turned off by Borderlands 2 since GOTY leaves out a lot of the DLC. Isn't that the point of GOTY edition is that it comes with everything?

I have some friends who bought the Pre-Sequel. Haven't heard what they've thought of it. From the sounds of this thread, it sounds like I'll wait for a sale.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I really want to buy it, but it is 60 bucks currently. I have to wait til it gets a reeducation of price. Hopefully that will be soon.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FelipeInside

Finally bought it and been playing for a few hours.

Game is basically the same as Borderlands 2, but adds verticality to the gameplay because of the low gravity, so you need to keep a lookout 360 degrees now. I also find it harder than Borderlands 2 so far (I died on the first boss twice). Humour is classic Borderlands which is fine by me. Good fun game.

Now, does anyone if there is a way to show (track) more than one mission at a time? I hated that in Borderlands 2, I had to keep going to my log to switch active missions to see where each one was.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

cash grab

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@cyloninside said:

cash grab

I don't really feel like it is.

It is basically a Borderlands 2.5, but it has the backstory, is a complete 30hr SP campaign, has new weapons, new characters and skills... and has also added the verticality gameplay. Brings enough new things to make it fresh.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GeryGo  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

Finally bought it and been playing for a few hours.

Game is basically the same as Borderlands 2, but adds verticality to the gameplay because of the low gravity, so you need to keep a lookout 360 degrees now. I also find it harder than Borderlands 2 so far (I died on the first boss twice). Humour is classic Borderlands which is fine by me. Good fun game.

Now, does anyone if there is a way to show (track) more than one mission at a time? I hated that in Borderlands 2, I had to keep going to my log to switch active missions to see where each one was.

Yeah the 1st boss is a pain in the ass until you figure out how to kill him.

Humour is not classic, as I said it has the Ausie touch in it.

@FelipeInside said:

new characters and skills

I kinda disagree about that, the lawbringer is basically Zero combined with Siren - I played them both on the previous games so when I saw their skills I said a big NO I don't feel playing those classes for the 3rd time.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Please don't necro