Opinion on Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by thesmiter (701 posts) -

Right now on Steam Sins of a Solar Empire (Trinity and Rebellion) are on sale. Galactic Civilizations II is also on sale. I am thinking of buying these (they'd only be $20).

Does anyone have opinions on them? Are they worth it? I've read the reviews, but I'd like some current opinions. I enjoy games like Rome and Medieval II Total War, Civ IV, and some RTS games (I've mostly played older games because I only have a laptop, but I'm waiting until the Steam Sale to buy Civ V and Shogun 2).

Also, while we're at it, any recommendations for RTS games on Steam are welcomed.

Thanks.

#2 Posted by soolkiki (1710 posts) -

Sins of a Solar Empire is a great game! You should definitely not miss out on it!

#3 Posted by lawlessx (46285 posts) -

Rebellion is a great space RTS. if you're able to find a buddy you can have games that can last days! buy it!

#4 Posted by strategyfn (334 posts) -

I got 50 hours out of Galactic Civilization II, but I didn't really like it. Imo don't expect that game to be anything special to you.

The combat is done below average, and building things on your planets is also pretty ordinary, bordering on boring.

The good things are building your own ships, even though you only use them in shallow combat. There is also some humor. Steam has it for 4.99, that is about what it is worth; I paid 19.99. Although 2.99 for the game sounds better. I imagine it is a decent game to play on laptop with low specs. I only played single player in GC II.

I can't recommend GC II unless you are on laptop and play it on the road. I wouldn't pay 4.99 for it, like I said 2.99 sounds about right.

I have heard people like it and defend it though, maybe they have mods, are playing multiplayer or something.

#5 Edited by Sharpie125 (3904 posts) -

I have Gal Civ 2 and Sins, but have only put serious hours into Sins. Sins seems like a bastardization of the concepts from what I've seen of Gal Civ (colonize planet, upgrade, build factories and ships). The scope of the game is pretty sweet and if you like space opera, it's worth looking at, but as far as 4X goes, it's pretty light... barely any diplomacy since the big thing of Sins seems to be team games.

EDIT: And don't get Trinity, if that's what you're thinking. You only need Rebellion.

#6 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

Sins is a great game. If you haven't already got it, you should definitely pick it up. It's difficult at first but it's so much fun once you get the hang of it.

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4078 posts) -

Loved Sins: Rebellion (contains all the content from Trinity) and I would highly recommend it.

#8 Edited by madrocketeer (2613 posts) -

Both are great but very different games. Galactic Civilizations II is a traditional turn-based 4X with lots of customization options, while Sins of a Solar Empire is a more stripped-down, more limited 4X that's played in real time. Bear this in mind before purchasing.

GalCiv II continues the great tradition of Master of Orion II, while SIns is the closest the gaming industry has ever come to making my dream RTS. I therefore highly recommend them both.