Online Gaming: Is 4 Mbps enough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fraggerman (124 posts) -

Hi everyone, I'd just like to know if a 4 Mbps line is enough for online gaming. I live in South Africa where bandwidth is insanely expensive and I'm currently on a 384 Kbps line (horrible, isn't it.) When I say online gaming I mean like COD 4 and Crysis and such, not just silly little flash games and freeware mmo's.

#2 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23476 posts) -
It is more than enough.
#3 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
I have a 256Kbps line and its enough to get me sub 100 pings
#4 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
I have a 256Kbps line and its enough to get me sub 100 pingsIantheone
KBps? or Kbps? there's a 8x difference.
#5 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23476 posts) -
[QUOTE="Iantheone"]I have a 256Kbps line and its enough to get me sub 100 pingsNibroc420

Probably kb/s, online games don't use a lot.
#6 Posted by aura_enchanted (7942 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Iantheone"]I have a 256Kbps line and its enough to get me sub 100 pingsJigglyWiggly_

Probably kb/s, online games don't use a lot.

true but more is ALWAYS better :P

#7 Posted by NotAFurry (6055 posts) -

Dude, I'm probably not the only one here who gamed online on a 56k modem. And bandwidth wasn't even the issue, it was the type of connection.

#8 Posted by gamer082009 (6679 posts) -

Dude, I'm probably not the only one here who gamed online on a 56k modem. And bandwidth wasn't even the issue, it was the type of connection.

NotAFurry
I've never heard of someone gaming on a 56k connection. I don't even thinks it's realistically possible.
#9 Posted by aura_enchanted (7942 posts) -

[QUOTE="NotAFurry"]

gamer082009

I've never heard of someone gaming on a 56k connection. I don't even thinks it's realistically possible.

basically for new games no its not really feesable but for pre 2008 titles its still a possibility

#10 Posted by X360PS3AMD05 (36298 posts) -
Are you the same dude from XS? :lol:
#11 Posted by NotAFurry (6055 posts) -
[QUOTE="NotAFurry"]

gamer082009

Sure, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, Unreal Tournament and Quake 3.
#12 Posted by ColdfireTrilogy (4911 posts) -
1 meg down is more than enough, it mainly depends on your upload. A lot of ISPs will really nerf the upload since the average web surfer barely sends and mainly receives. As a gamer you will do a small amount of sending but if it peaks beyond your maximum bandwidth you will get choke. Typically 128kbps upload is plenty as long as NOTHING else is going on (parents surfing the web etc).
#13 Posted by fraggerman (124 posts) -

Thanks for all the replies guys. I would have gone for something like a 2 Mbps connection, but my service provider only offers 384 Kbps, 512 Kbps and 4 Mbps connections and since the price gap between 512 Kbps and 4 Mbps is so small, might as well go for the faster one.

#14 Posted by jernas (1513 posts) -

Thanks for all the replies guys. I would have gone for something like a 2 Mbps connection, but my service provider only offers 384 Kbps, 512 Kbps and 4 Mbps connections and since the price gap between 512 Kbps and 4 Mbps is so small, might as well go for the faster one.

fraggerman

Wow, hearing this I am so happy to live in Europe.

#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23476 posts) -
Interesting, you have a United States flag as your avatar.
#16 Posted by Xeros606 (11126 posts) -
Interesting, you have a United States flag as your avatar.JigglyWiggly_
Maybe he was born in the USA, but now lives in Europe?
#17 Posted by joshuahaveron (2163 posts) -

I bet Japan and South Korea are laughing at us with their government subsidised 100mbp/s up and download.

#19 Posted by codezer0 (15898 posts) -
What matters more to online gaming than throughput is latency - your ping times are of more importance than bandwidth. So you could have yourself a 100Mbps pipe like they do in japan, but if you're constantly dropping packets, chances are your latency will be as bad, if not worse, than a stable 56k dialup line.
#20 Posted by johnny27 (4400 posts) -
i have a 1.3 mega bit connection and have no problem gaming online with modern games.
#21 Posted by XaosII (16565 posts) -

384 Kbps is more than enough. Latency is the main issue for gaming.