One good reason to buy a Maxwell gpu?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by slipknot0129 (5484 posts) -

I think one good reason to wait for Maxwell is that it will have h.265 support. You could be watching movies that are half the size at the same quality. I think thats awesome.

Any other reason to buy a Maxwell gpu?

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (19136 posts) -

The gpu does not have to have native support to run codecs....

The real reason to for maxwell is its performance per watt ratio and unified virtual memory for cuda.

#3 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (651 posts) -

I think one good reason to wait for Maxwell is that it will have h.265 support. You could be watching movies that are half the size at the same quality. I think thats awesome.

I doubt it will offer the same quality at half the size, but we'll see. Also, I'm sure most CPUs will be able to run h.265 decodes with ease.

#4 Edited by slipknot0129 (5484 posts) -

@PfizersaurusRex said:

@slipknot0129 said:

I doubt it will offer the same quality at half the size, but we'll see. Also, I'm sure most CPUs will be able to run h.265 decodes with ease.

I hope it does though. My internets slow. That could help a lot in watching live streams. But it will be many years till everyone is using h.265.

#5 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

i can fit every movie i've ever encoded on 1 external hard drive... h264 is more then enough compression size.... theres noway im re-encoding all my blu-rays again to save on a few gigs. i doubt it would be half the size of h264 anyways. you can only compress so far. i have old winace compression program from 13 years ago which compresses almost as well as the newest versions of winrar or 7zip. compression only can go so far.

#6 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -
#7 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2263 posts) -

I've got 9TB and soon i will have 13.(getting another 4tb hdd)

Movie size is of no concern to me.In fact the bigger the better.