Onboard Realtek vs Creative Sound Card. Help please!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gabs556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gabs556
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

I have no idea what to use between the onboard Realtek HD sound from my ASUS P5QL-PRO motherboard and my Creative Audigy 2 Value. I try to distinguish the difference and I don't know if my ears are playing tricks on me but it seems like the Realtek sounds better.

Has anyone compared these two? What are your thoughts? TIA. :D

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have no idea what to use between the onboard Realtek HD sound from my ASUS P5QL-PRO motherboard and my Creative Audigy 2 Value. I try to distinguish the difference and I don't know if my ears are playing tricks on me but it seems like the Realtek sounds better.

gabs556

I also have Realtek audio for my motherboard. But, I'm using an Audigy 2 Value as well. Most of the time, the Realtek is fine. But for some reason, it kept crashing Crysis in the last Boss battle. I turned it off and installed my old Audigy 2 Value. The game's audio has been fine and dandy since.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

After crossfiring and having to live with the onboard audio when testing I found it to be just fine, but my MB has pretty good on board sound so I dont really need the SB Sudigy, but no doubt the Creative stuff is pretty neat and the quality is nice.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

gabs556

I don't know about the Audigy 2 Value, since that's a pretty old sound card at this point.. but I can hear an almost night-and-day difference between my onboard Realtek and my X-Fi Xtremegamer. Even on just a decent set of 2.0 speakers the whole spectrum of sound is much clearer with the X-Fi. That being said, I know there are many people who are very happy with onboard sound, since it has come a long ways since the early days.

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

There's an OBVIOUS difference on my set up.

Z-2300 speakers + creative x-fi xtreme music compared to my GA-EP35-D3SL's onboard.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I don't want to hijack the thread, but i have a question. I have an old pc (probably like 6 years) with a creative sound card. Would this be better or worse than my current realtek onboard? Would it be worth putting it in?

Jamiemydearx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jamiemydearx3
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts

I don't want to hijack the thread, but i have a question. I have an old pc (probably like 6 years) with a creative sound card. Would this be better or worse than my current realtek onboard? Would it be worth putting it in?

kraken2109

What's the name of the sound card? And what motherboard do you currently have?

gabs556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gabs556

Well... I'm still torn between the two. Still can't get to a conclusion as to which one's better.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
If you have crap speakers, you won't notice the difference. =D
Yrkoon99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yrkoon99
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

i would say the realtek will probably sound better.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

My Old Sound Audigy 2 blows that realtek joke outta the water :P I mean the dang microphone jack doesnt even work for my board... On Z-5300 Logitech. Its just betta.

gabs556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gabs556

I have Creative T3130 2.1 speakers. Very good budget $50 speakers if you ask me.

Here's what I got:

The Realtek is louder and boomier. Also has more noticable highs.

The Audigy has better mid range.]

I dunno, I think I'm just looking for a reason to justify using the Audigy's.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

I have Creative T3130 2.1 speakers. Very good budget $50 speakers if you ask me.

Here's what I got:

The Realtek is louder and boomier. Also has more noticable highs.

The Audigy has better mid range.]

I dunno, I think I'm just looking for a reason to justify using the Audigy's.

gabs556
Sorry for almost bumping your thread but honestly saying what has the highest Mid or high is just wrong in therms of Audio. If one or another sounds higher has little to nothing to say about the quaility of the mid or high being produced! I have had an Audigy 2 zs (witch i gave to a friend for free.) and i can say that that card isn't that great when compared to almoust anything even most newer onboard solutions are for ewryday use eqvalient. I have a system with a H/K amp driving fostex studio monitors, hooked to the PC both digital and analoge, sometimes iv'e dubble controll the final mix with diffrent sound hardware (I do record and make music, both in studios and at home using software) the Audigy 2 isn't that much better than the Realtec on both of my motherboards, the E-mu is in a diffrent dimention. Motherboards have and will continue to get better onboard soundchips, the new realtec isn't that bad. For playing games the onboard will do just fine, playing music (well playing MP3's) the realtec will be almoust to good for the given task, but doing serious hi-quality things both Audigy 2 and Realtec fail so take your pick if you dont use flac or hi-quality recording/playing.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#14 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Well... I'm still torn between the two. Still can't get to a conclusion as to which one's better.

gabs556

Realtek is better or on par with any of these "value" sound cards so dont think too much and just use the on-board sound.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

If you google just about any other forum they say any value audigy > realtek onboard. Depends on the speakers also if its crap like the other poster suggests than forget it. With software update it can support the latest EAX, and also some of the sound is software emulation for realtek. It is subjective is whichever sounds best to you, is more like do you have the card around from an old rig? If you dont, dont worry about it.