Old School Point & Click Adventure Games do you miss them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -

I spent many hours with with my dad playing all the best 2D games like Monkey Island series, Kings Quest series, Indiana Jones, Full Throttle etc. does anyone else miss them like I do?

I remember spending 10 minutes phoning up the Lucus Arts helpline for Monkey Island to tell me something about getting the bloody monkeys help, does anyone else want them back?

Just imagine what they could be like now, I still love all the new games but I would have though there could still be a market for this type of game....

#2 Posted by Hewkii (26339 posts) -

well, this thread has a predictable ending. everyone will say how they miss the old days and LucasArts is milking Star Wars and how they wish they got sequels for their favorite Adventure Games and the like, and somehow someone will bash EA.

and yes, I do want some more Adventure Games.

#3 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -

I have no idea where the Wii comment from but i'm sure the old timer had great fun playing mario olympics....

Glad you put a positive spin on this thread, plus where did star wars come from I ask? before you say it a galaxy far far away..

#4 Posted by 6matt6 (9724 posts) -
i always wanted to play the ful version of grim fandango after i played the demo to death.
#5 Posted by DennisKumfi (201 posts) -

I spent my childhood with these, so yeah, they should make them like they used to again.

Also, EA blows.

#6 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
I do. But the genre isn't entirely dead. There are games like A Vampyre Story (ex-LucasArts guys) on the horizon, and if Sam and Max season 2 is as good as the first, then I absolutely can't wait for it.
#7 Posted by robertlie (866 posts) -

I sure miss them. Waiting for Vampyre Story

#8 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -

grim fandango was good still think Fate of Atlantis was one of the best and monkey island 2..

not heard of this vampyre story will take a look

#9 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -
Tex Murphy games were pretty good
#10 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -

well, this thread has a predictable ending. everyone will say how they miss the old days and LucasArts is milking Star Wars and how they wish they got sequels for their favorite Adventure Games and the like, and somehow someone will bash EA.

Hewkii

i miss the old days. lucasarts is milking star wars. i wish they made sequels to grim fandango and maniac mansion (day of the tentacle) and king's quest and gabriel knight. ea sucks.

#11 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -

I do. But the genre isn't entirely dead. There are games like A Vampyre Story (ex-LucasArts guys) on the horizon, and if Sam and Max season 2 is as good as the first, then I absolutely can't wait for it.fatshodan

gray matter is the real heavyweight contender. a jane jensen project (gabriel knight creator).

#12 Posted by janti_hakouz (3190 posts) -
Syberia, Monkey Island, Myst, Monkey Island :P

I really miss them. I want Monkey Island 5 (wasn't there a rumour about it?)
#13 Posted by lordlors (5610 posts) -
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 was the lastest best adventure game i've played and it's for the DS.
#14 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]I do. But the genre isn't entirely dead. There are games like A Vampyre Story (ex-LucasArts guys) on the horizon, and if Sam and Max season 2 is as good as the first, then I absolutely can't wait for it.fireandcloud

gray matter is the real heavyweight contender. a jane jensen project (gabriel knight creator).

Never heard of it or her, but I'll keep an eye on it from now on!

While we're still throwing names of games out, there's also So Blonde, which is by the writer of the original Broken Sword (meaning at the least it will have excellent characters and writing and from the look of the screenshots, great art, too). I didn't mention it earlier because it seems to be trapped in limbo, but it seems pretty great to me.

Hell, seems like the point n click puzzler genre is alive and kicking! There's more cool adventurerers on the horizon than there are RTS games.

#15 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -

the future looks bright then, i just found this website with loads of free games monkey island etc. dozens of them.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/game/Adventure worth a look i feel going to have a better look tonight when i get home

#16 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]I do. But the genre isn't entirely dead. There are games like A Vampyre Story (ex-LucasArts guys) on the horizon, and if Sam and Max season 2 is as good as the first, then I absolutely can't wait for it.fatshodan

While we're still throwing names of games out, there's also So Blonde, which is by the writer of the original Broken Sword (meaning at the least it will have excellent characters and writing and from the look of the screenshots, great art, too). I didn't mention it earlier because it seems to be trapped in limbo, but it seems pretty great to me.

Hell, seems like the point n click puzzler genre is alive and kicking! There's more cool adventurerers on the horizon than there are RTS games.

there is also Mata Hari Mata Hari from creators of Indiana Jone and Fate of atlantis, although I haven't heard much about from quite some time

#17 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="fatshodan"]I do. But the genre isn't entirely dead. There are games like A Vampyre Story (ex-LucasArts guys) on the horizon, and if Sam and Max season 2 is as good as the first, then I absolutely can't wait for it.naval

there is also Mata Hari Mata Hari from creators of Indiana Jone and Fate of atlantis, although I haven't heard much about from quite some time

indiana jones and the fate of atlantis is one of my favorite adventure games of all time, and the screenshot for mata hari looks great!

i haven't played the broken sword series, but i heard they were great. i kinda heard about so blonde, but i would have never kept and eye on it cuz...well, it's called so blonde, but it sounds promising.

thanks for the info, guys.

#18 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -

fireandcloud

I alsoremembered Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People today. That's a Wii link, but it's also a simultaneous PC release (you know GameSpot). It's by Telltale, responsible for the recent Sam and Max games.

By the looks of the trailers, it's gonna be pretty damn funny and cool, and its title pleases my vanity.

#19 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

fatshodan

I alsoremembered Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People today. That's a Wii link, but it's also a simultaneous PC release (you know GameSpot). It's by Telltale, responsible for the recent Sam and Max games.

By the looks of the trailers, it's gonna be pretty damn funny and cool, and its title pleases my vanity.

homestar runner!!! nice. it looks like episode 1 is coming out soon? i guess i'll wait until all the episodes are bundled together. speaking of which, when are they knocking off $10 on steam's price for sam & max season 1?

#20 Posted by PandaBear86 (3389 posts) -
I miss Ultima 8 and hate EA for cancelling the Lost Vale expansion for it.
#21 Posted by grim1813 (431 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

fireandcloud

homestar runner!!! nice. it looks like episode 1 is coming out soon? i guess i'll wait until all the episodes are bundled together. speaking of which, when are they knocking off $10 on steam's price for sam & max season 1?

Sounds like a perfect time for me to get involved with these games. :)

#22 Posted by AnotherKill (1341 posts) -
The Monkey Island series are forever imbedded in my heart, they're stuck in there and I can't get them out. I love them....Monkey Island 5 please?
#23 Posted by fireandcloud (5118 posts) -
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

grim1813

Sounds like a perfect time for me to get involved with these games. :)

yeah, i'd buy it at $25 as well. i just can't buy it at $30, cuz amazon has it for $18. stinking steam and its high prices...

#24 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -

It's hard to miss what's still here. Look around. We're still frequently getting point-and-click adventures today.

#25 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -

I wanna play a new Gabriel Knight series.

#26 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3753 posts) -
One thing I don't miss with the point and click adventure games is not knowing what the hell to do. The games were too picky and most of them required walkthroughs to do. The only one I can think of I never had trouble with was Day of the Tentacle.. and its the best adventure game ever made
#27 Posted by jfsebastianII (1080 posts) -

the writer of the original Broken Sword (meaning at the least it will have excellent characters and writing and from the look of the screenshots, great art, too).

fatshodan

this is a joke, right? surely what you meant to say is: 'it means it will have stupid cartoon-like characters and cliched surroundings (have any of you ever been to France?) who are about as convincing as Jean-Claude van Damme doing Shakespeare, and totally illogical problems that can only be 'solved' by clicking on every dot on the screen'

frankly a monkey could complete the game as quickly as a human because it just involves clicking on anything and everything until you stumble across the 'solution'

as for a GOOD point-and-click, would still love to see a reissued Blade Runner

#28 Posted by fatshodan (2886 posts) -
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

the writer of the original Broken Sword (meaning at the least it will have excellent characters and writing and from the look of the screenshots, great art, too).

jfsebastianII

this is a joke, right? surely what you meant to say is: 'it means it will have stupid cartoon-like characters and cliched surroundings (have any of you ever been to France?) who are about as convincing as Jean-Claude van Damme doing Shakespeare, and totally illogical problems that can only be 'solved' by clicking on every dot on the screen'

I was mostly talking about George and Nico.

Secondary characters in the BS games are very charicature, I know, but I don't particularly see that as a bad thing. Just because the game has a realistic visual tone doesn't mean it has to be utterly authentic in every respect. I found the writing fun and, most important of all, entertaining.

I have visited France, by the way. Normandy. I don't care if the environments aren't authentic, or if they are cliché - they are beautiful. I enjoyed the art and that was all I needed. One of my other favourite adventure games features a giant dog and a deformed rabbit-thing who drive a car to the moon. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Given that it's the writer and not the designer working on So Blonde, it would be both unfair and irrational to pre-judge SB's gameplay based on Broken Sword's.

But about those puzzles, well, that's not how I played the game. Any game can be trial-and-errored (even Myst) if that's what you choose to do. I payed close attention to the environments, I thought about what I was doing and what I might want to be doing, and I had a lot of fun with the game figuring things out. I didn't find it illogical to, for example, make a soap copy of a key so I could get through a locked door, and I didn't work it out by clicking mindlessly. I looked at what I had, at what I needed to do and I worked it out.

#29 Posted by 6ftUmpaLumpa (40 posts) -

i think that mata hari game looks really good.

Would love to see another gabriel knight game & monkey island game like it used to be just better graphics but still same kind of point & click style.

I just think it was all about the humour back then, I also used to love Simon the sorcerer 1 & 2 & discworld games they're pretty funny.

#30 Posted by kozzy1234 (35266 posts) -
I want a next gen Police Quest game!!!!
#32 Posted by jfsebastianII (1080 posts) -
[QUOTE="jfsebastianII"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

fatshodan

I was mostly talking about George and Nico.

Secondary characters in the BS games are very charicature, I know, but I don't particularly see that as a bad thing. Just because the game has a realistic visual tone doesn't mean it has to be utterly authentic in every respect. I found the writing fun and, most important of all, entertaining.

I have visited France, by the way. Normandy. I don't care if the environments aren't authentic, or if they are cliché - they are beautiful. I enjoyed the art and that was all I needed. One of my other favourite adventure games features a giant dog and a deformed rabbit-thing who drive a car to the moon. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Given that it's the writer and not the designer working on So Blonde, it would be both unfair and irrational to pre-judge SB's gameplay based on Broken Sword's.

But about those puzzles, well, that's not how I played the game. Any game can be trial-and-errored (even Myst) if that's what you choose to do. I payed close attention to the environments, I thought about what I was doing and what I might want to be doing, and I had a lot of fun with the game figuring things out. I didn't find it illogical to, for example, make a soap copy of a key so I could get through a locked door, and I didn't work it out by clicking mindlessly. I looked at what I had, at what I needed to do and I worked it out.

yes, but come on, what about the bit, for example , when there's that goat that keeps butting you when you try to walk to where you need to go - the problem is 'solved' by clicking on some random bit of the scenery, to which your character suddenly runs (even though they've not run up to that point and there's no indication that they are able to) and does something. There's loads of moments like that - i played probably two-thirds of the game before finally realising i had better things to do than have the **** taken out of me by this game