This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrVman858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 MrVman858
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello I want to build my first gaming platform pc and I want to try something a bit crazy... I want to use an old 2005 dell dimension 5000! Now I know that the motherboard can't handle the new stuff so I'm going to scrap everything. I want to add extra ventilation ports to the side and maybe cut out an area to insert a glass piece. Now if I have a fully empty shell of the 5000 what kind of power supply, motherboard etc can I add or if it's even possible? Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated. :)

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

May not be worth the hassle, if I remember right that was the era of intel's BTX form factor, It may be one of the early BTX where it was still basically an ATX board. But then it could be one the later design where ATX is not compatible.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Dude, unless you know exactly what you're doing and expecting, you're in for a biiiig project. Might as well just spend the $50-$60 for a nice Coolermaster case and go from there. At least, that's what I would do.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@mrvman858 said:

Hello I want to build my first gaming platform pc and I want to try something a bit crazy... I want to use an old 2005 dell dimension 5000! Now I know that the motherboard can't handle the new stuff so I'm going to scrap everything. I want to add extra ventilation ports to the side and maybe cut out an area to insert a glass piece. Now if I have a fully empty shell of the 5000 what kind of power supply, motherboard etc can I add or if it's even possible? Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated. :)

You can get Corsair 200R for 40$, all that you need.

Unless you're going to invest serious time and money on that Dell 5000 you can't do serious gaming with that.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I personally wouldn't waste the time on trying to mod out an old Dimension case. Dell made had very specific sized boards (BTX), fitting a standard ATX board (or smaller if that the way you're thinking) would be a major hassle. It would take most standard sized modern PSU's, so power wouldn't be much of a problem.

Not sure how much room you'd have for a GPU, certainly not a high end one like a GTX 770 or faster. 3rd party PSU coolers may be a problem as well, some of modern air cooled heat sinks are huge (actually most of them are). Water pump coolers like a Corsair H55 would be out of the question as well, the radiators come with a 120mm fan. I could go on but I think you get the picture.

Beside the Dimension case if fugly attempt by a PC company trying to get away from the old beige cases, it's the thing you see (and everyone else) every time you look at your PC.

As the other guys said, you can get a nice new case for a fairly low price, where everything will fit, you'll have plenty of room and will be much more pleasing to eye. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-107-CA&groupid=2362&catid=2277 (Corsair 200R - UK prices, no idea where you're from)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I think TC wants a sleeper, that's why he chose the Dell case.

MrVman858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By MrVman858
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@GarGx1: yeah your right. This computer is special to me because it was my dad's and he is no longer with us. :'( R. I. P

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@mrvman858 said:

@GarGx1: yeah your right. This computer is special to me because it was my dad's and he is no longer with us. :'( R. I. P

Sorry to heat that, my deepest condolences. You can still keep that computer and put it someplace special like in your room or something. All the best.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@mrvman858:

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can to do something with the case, it certainly has personal meaning to you.