Okay so how does bluray work on PC? I already know.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jebus213 (8913 posts) -
I already know I need a bluray drive. Obviously... But I'm reading that I need to buy software with bluray playback and an HDCP monitor? Wut? Also, **** the Hardware section.
#3 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

Windows automatically detects it. Any recent movie software supports Blu-Ray movies, I use PowerDVD. I'm sure there are some freeware players just as good out there. Not sure about the HDCP requirement but a lot of modern monitors support it.

#5 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"]I already know I need a bluray drive. Obviously... But I'm reading that I need to buy software with bluray playback and an HDCP monitor? Wut? Also, **** the Hardware section.

You all suck.Jebus213
Since this topic is about something other than PC & Mac Games, you might want to ask in the actual forum regarding PC Hardware and you probably shouldn't insult people you're asking help from. To help anyway, and to add to the last post, I will mention that I use the VideoLan.org VLC Media Player and it does very well with 1080P and 720P HD video files, though I will say my only actual experience with Blu-Ray disk playback is with a PlayStation 3.
#6 Posted by l0ner_1 (352 posts) -

I run a blu ray disc read in my pc, you will need software. My player came w/ power dvd. As far as the monitor goes, no. Any monitor will work.

#7 Posted by nekrothing (387 posts) -

I already know I need a bluray drive. Obviously... But I'm reading that I need to buy software with bluray playback and an HDCP monitor? Wut? Also, **** the Hardware section.Jebus213

It's not worth it, you'd be better off getting either a PS3 or a standalone blu-ray player. The reason why it's not worth it is because of the software. You have the choice of either PowerDVD 12 or Totalmedia Theatre 5, neither of which are very good yet at the same time are very expensive. A standard blu-ray drive will cost about ~$40-$60, while the software costs ~$70-$100. PowerDVD 12 installs a bunch of bloatware on your PC which will slow it down, and the program itself is very buggy and very slow (regardless of how fast your PC is). Totalmedia Theatre 5 is slightly better as it doesn't install a bunch of useless stuff on your PC and is a fairly lightweight program, but suffers from slow updates and compatibility problems with certain blu-ray movies (it used to have issues with Prometheus for instance).

The only other alternative to the software is ripping the blu-rays onto your HDD. You can do this for free, but ripping a blu-ray will take quite a bit of time and HDD space, so it's not the best alternative.

Another issue is that no matter which one you choose, PDVD12 or TMT5, the license for the software expires in two years. So after two years, you'll need to purchase another serial (~$70-$100) to keep watching the latest blu-ray movies. It's a money sink that just isn't worth it. Do yourself a favor and just spend ~$100 on a standalone blu-ray player. No need to purchase software or update the software every two years.

#8 Posted by Wasdie (50274 posts) -

You need software that can play blu-rays. Windows 7 doesn't come with the proper codecs or whatever. I bought PowerDVD 12. That works.

#9 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6281 posts) -

Go for a ps3 or wifi connected standalone bluray player cheaper and less issues only thing is you can't skip the stupid opening movies. Although If you do decide to go the bluray route on pc You need playback software along with a bluray drive ethier Powerdvd or Arc Total Media which are both overpriced at a $100 but there is no true alternative so they price lock themselves there to maximium there profits. Also if your cloning your displays it won't work as HDCP prevents it from displaying to multiple displays from on graphics card. All the copy right protection on bluray just serves to hurt the consumer especially when trying to play it on your pc. Now if microsoft would update windows media player to play bluray at no charge or someone released an open source on the fly bluray decrypter so all dvd would work with vlc(You can Modify it to play bluray but not all work due to DRM) it wouldn't be so bad.

#10 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6281 posts) -

Just Checked and both companies have there software on sale for newyears but Power DVD 12 Ultra is cheaper at only $61 and comes with some additional software doubt you will ever see a lower price just a buy a bluray drive to go along with it.

#11 Posted by Kendog87 (1111 posts) -

Corel WinDVD is a good one.

#12 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26209 posts) -

Can't you just download KLite codecs and use Media Player Classic? I'm pretty sure that's what most of the AV enthusiasts use. You can check AVSforums for more info.

#13 Posted by Jebus213 (8913 posts) -
you probably shouldn't insult people you're asking help from.Stinger78
I probably should.
#14 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
You all suck.Jebus213
You waited just 10 minutes for an answer before you started insulting people? :P
#15 Posted by vfibsux (4211 posts) -

Why help one poster who is an obvious waste of oxygen by posting when you can help the entire forum by reporting him?

I hope you never get an answer and may a power surge fry your PC, you deserve nothing less. Happy New Year.

#16 Posted by JohnFifteen12 (191 posts) -

Why help one poster who is an obvious waste of oxygen by posting when you can help the entire forum by reporting him?

I hope you never get an answer and may a power surge fry your PC, you deserve nothing less. Happy New Year.

vfibsux

Considering how childish the OP has been, I'm surprised that so many offered him so much help, but the information posted here will be helpful to others as well, so the thread is still quite useful in the end.

#18 Posted by Jebus213 (8913 posts) -

You need software that can play blu-rays. Windows 7 doesn't come with the proper codecs or whatever. I bought PowerDVD 12. That works.

Wasdie
Well that's dumb. Bluray just seems like too much of a hassle...
#19 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Jebus213

Everything is a hassle when you're an uncoordinated derp such as yourself.
#20 Posted by Jebus213 (8913 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

DanielDust

Everything is a hassle when you're an uncoordinated derp such as yourself.

Are you mad?
#21 Posted by vfibsux (4211 posts) -

You seriously have to have no life, and I mean NO life at all, to get off on trolling a message board. And to not even do it well using lame old and tired "u mad" and "get out noobs" trolling cliches is supreme fail.

My last contribution to your trollfest. Have fun kid.

#22 Posted by Jebus213 (8913 posts) -

You seriously have to have no life, and I mean NO life at all, to get off on trolling a message board. And to not even do it well using lame old and tired "u mad" and "get out noobs" trolling cliches is supreme fail.

My last contribution to your trollfest. Have fun kid.

vfibsux
The fact that you contributed makes you a tool. Also, you're the kid here.
#23 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

ITT TC is an Internet tough guy, but not much more IRL probably.