Ok guys what's the best small laptop for gaming under $800

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by suade907 (358 posts) -

I am looking for a new laptop and was planning to spend $500 but notice I can get one for just a little more that will have the nvidia gt630m video in it. It has to be touchscreen capable. How is the GT630m for gaming?

Thanks for any suggestions. 

#2 Posted by suade907 (358 posts) -

Ooh just read some on the 630m being sucky for gaming and suggestion on a pc that has something better under $800?

#3 Posted by jhonMalcovich (4824 posts) -

Oh dear, I counted three oxymorons in your thread title.

The first one, small laptop under $800.

The second, small laptop for gaming.

The third one, small laptop for gaming under $800.

#4 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -
There is none. Every laptop under that pricepoint is either going to have an integrated graphics chip, or a super low-end discrete chip that is good for nothing more than indie titles. If you want to PC game, either buy a desktop and build it (a pretty powerful gaming machine can be had for $800) or cough up the dough for a better laptop, at least $1500.
#5 Posted by roulettethedog (10978 posts) -

Look for a decent graphics chip in your laptop. I can play TF2 on low ,but that is not why I bought my laptop. You are better off with a desktop at the under $1,000 U.S.D. price.

#6 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

Well your best bet atm is an AMD APU based system - having a quick look now

Prices arent bad - the issue is the touch screen

#7 Posted by General_X (9032 posts) -
The terms small, gaming, laptop, and under $800 are pretty mutually exclusive. There's probably a "best" version that can kinda meet those criteria, but it might not exactly be satisfactory. You can get a laptop that's decent at gaming for $800, but it probably won't be small. You can get a desktop that's excellent at gaming for $800, but it won't be small or a laptop obviously. You can get a small laptop that's good for gaming, but it won't be $800 or less. So which of those scenarios do you prefer?
#8 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

A ultrabook w/ something better than gt 630 and touchscreen(is a touchscreen necessary) for $800! What kind of games do you want to play i think a 630m could handle most games on medium at maybe 30 or 60 fps except maybe crysis, bf3, witcher 2 and other demanding games. I would not recommend a laptop in general for gaming especially on games i mentioned probably would lead to heat issues and not only that the damn battery would die very quick, even if it is a ultrabook, you would just be plugged into the wall half the time. For $800 I would get a lenovo g780. On newegg there was one with a i7 and gt635m and a refurb with i5 and gt 650m, you would not have touchscreen. Also if you are not from US my apologies i did not read anything about location. 

#9 Posted by suade907 (358 posts) -

Thanks for the tips guys i assumed as much. I already have a gaming pc but i need to get a smaller laptop so i figureed If I was gonna spend the money i might as well see what one would be good for gaming. I think you guys are right, there really isn't a good one in that price range. 

I want the touchscreen because it makes windows 8 so much easier to use. I'm gonna be using the laptop just for cad programs. I just figureed if i could run some games that would be a bonus. 

Maybe I'll wait for the razer tablet that is supposed to  come out soon.

#10 Posted by QQabitmoar (1969 posts) -

Recently my cousin bought a laptopt for 650 euros (aprox~850$). It packs a quad core a10 amd, 7670m, 6 gigs of ram and 1 tera hdd. It runs DotA 2 maxed np, Planetside 2 on medium/high at 45/30 during large battles, sc2 high/ultra with aa 50 fps. That's all I tested on it at the time. Definitely can get a machine that can game decently at that price level.

#11 Posted by spaceninja818 (424 posts) -
Sager NP6110
#12 Posted by quebec946 (1348 posts) -

A ultrabook w/ something better than gt 630 and touchscreen(is a touchscreen necessary) for $800! What kind of games do you want to play i think a 630m could handle most games on medium at maybe 30 or 60 fps except maybe crysis, bf3, witcher 2 and other demanding games. I would not recommend a laptop in general for gaming especially on games i mentioned probably would lead to heat issues and not only that the damn battery would die very quick, even if it is a ultrabook, you would just be plugged into the wall half the time. For $800 I would get a lenovo g780. On newegg there was one with a i7 and gt635m and a refurb with i5 and gt 650m, you would not have touchscreen. Also if you are not from US my apologies i did not read anything about location. 

redskins26rocs

a laptop is not recommanded for gaming

even less an ultrabook.

#13 Posted by Travis_Odell (1701 posts) -

Don't buy a laptop for gaming, you will be stuck playing halflife1 and gta3 getting 30fps and your **** restarting from overheating.