Oh boy. Another "My windows is broken" thread. Help anyone?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. So I decided to put my computer into sleep mode tonight, as I usually do. I had just finished playing a game, and my room's temperature was reaching critical levels, so I decided to cool things down. I come back an hour or so later and turn my computer back on. instead of booting up the way it usually does, it turned on as if I had the computer off and started it up normally. That's when things got interesting.

I was greeted by a blue screen first. The computer restarted, and I was then met by a black screen telling me my computer was to be checked for "errors." After going through 40,000 files, my computer seemed to open normally. But the issue now is, no program save for Microsoft programs (like Internet Explorer, which is what I'm on, and Zune, but not Windows Media Player) will open. I click on my different icons, but it does nothing. System restore can never be completed, so that's out of the picture.

I've tried all that I can think of, but this issue is so odd. If I couldn't run ANY application, that would make sense to me more. But I'm on Internet explorer right now! And all my data in my Program Files seems to be just fine, and nothing seems to have changed. If anyone has even the slightest idea of what I could do, I'm willing to hear you out.

My specifications are:
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
4GB DDR3
HD Radeon 6850
AMD Athlon II Quad Core
1 500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive (used for my C:/ Drive)
1 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Well what happens when you run a non-microsoft program?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

With the bizarreness of your problem, any solution other than a reformat, would probably not be a good idea. Even if you get it back to normal, who knows what lingering issue might be underneath.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

With the bizarreness of your problem, any solution other than a reformat, would probably not be a good idea. Even if you get it back to normal, who knows what lingering issue might be underneath.

XaosII
i will second that. A format and installing windows from the beginning would seem to be the best solution. Also i dont know if its just me thinking that, but puting a desktop pc on standby or sleep mode never seemed a good idea ( i had my share of problems when i used to put my pc on sleep mode ). I much rather use a program like autoshutdown or use the build in windows task scheduler and create a task for my pc to shut down at the time i want
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
run system restore
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

adamosmaki
i will second that. A format and installing windows from the beginning would seem to be the best solution. Also i dont know if its just me thinking that, but puting a desktop pc on standby or sleep mode never seemed a good idea ( i had my share of problems when i used to put my pc on sleep mode ). I much rather use a program like autoshutdown or use the build in windows task scheduler and create a task for my pc to shut down at the time i want

or just leave your computers on 24/7 shutting down too much work
metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
it probably won't help but you could try typing sfc /scannow into run.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Virus scan?

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts
it probably won't help but you could try typing sfc /scannow into run. metacritical
Are you a wizard? Everything's fixed since I typed that in. Seeing as it was taking forever to load, I took a nap. Woke up, and BAM! Everything is back to normal. Thanks. And thanks to everyone in this thread. I went to another forum before this, and nobody was even trying to be helpful. You guys all rule.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="metacritical"]it probably won't help but you could try typing sfc /scannow into run. jman1553
Are you a wizard? Everything's fixed since I typed that in. Seeing as it was taking forever to load, I took a nap. Woke up, and BAM! Everything is back to normal. Thanks. And thanks to everyone in this thread. I went to another forum before this, and nobody was even trying to be helpful. You guys all rule.

You should do a virus check, try two different anti-viruses, sounds like something corrupted either system files or registry entry.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="metacritical"]it probably won't help but you could try typing sfc /scannow into run. jman1553

couldn't resist