Oculus Rift DK2 - First Impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

So I just got my Oculus Rift DK2 on Friday and I said I would post a blog review of it. That said, this is going to have to just be the first of what will probably be many because after a weekend of playing with this thing the biggest thing I've learned is that I'm going to have to play with this a -lot- more before I'll have a solid idea.

First of all, the good: This is a pretty cool device. The stereoscopic 3D works well, although that's not exactly new technology. It does head tracking well and the 3D space recognition appears to be dead on. The device does as advertised.

Now the bad: This is not ready for primetime yet. If the DK2 were released as the final retail version, this product would fail miserably for many, many reasons. It's a bit rough and the software support is very spotty right now. You absolutely should not buy this device if you are looking for the next new gaming peripheral. This is a development kit so as such it's more of a technical proof of concept. I can't imagine what the DK1 must have been like if this one is a huge improvement over the previous version.

Now the rest: The device itself functions in one of two modes, "direct" or "extended". Direct means that the software application that you are using is aware of the Oculus and sends video directly to it and understands how to read its inputs. "Extended" means the Oculus shows up as another display device in an extended desktop. Technically, the desktop shows up on the Oculus but you can't really "see" it properly through the display because each half of split between each eye and they overlap (just like turning 3D on a non 3D signal). When you use the Oculus in this mode, you either have to set the Oculus as the primary display (making navigation tricky) or your game has to support running on a secondary display. Direct mode works better with less latency, but unfortunately almost nothing besides a handful of tech demos supports Direct mode. Extended theoretically can work with any game, although sometimes third party utilities are required in order to get the game working properly and not every game will support every feature (i.e. support 3D but not headtracking, etc).

The device itself is interesting. I'm nearsighted (nothing crazy but I wear glasses and contacts to read anything more than a foot or two from my face) and this device absolutely does not work with glasses because it fits like nightvision goggles. However, contacts obviously work and depending on your own vision problems they may not even be necessary because the screens are only inches from your eyes even though they simulate distance viewing. There are two sets of "lenses" included that sit between your eyes and the displays. They are intended for people with different levels of nearsightedness and by using the correct set I'm able to use the Rift without any other corrective lenses which is pretty cool.

The screens on the device are lower resolution than a nice, high end monitor. There's pixelization that's pretty noticeable because you're so close to the displays. This combined with different aspects of the software support can make a game look pretty ugly. Elite Dangerous has native support for the Rift in extended mode, but in its current version it looks horrible. The 3D effect is there but game text is unreadable due to the resolution and relative scale of the heads up displays. The weird thing is that I can read the displays more easily if I lean my head in closer to the virtual display in 3D space, which is a bizarre concept. One of the freakiest things about playing Elite was looking down at my hands and feet and seeing the game pilot's hands mirroring my own movements. The scale was even pretty close to being accurate.

Software support is really rough right now and I've only gotten a handful of games working properly if at all. Star Citizen was next on my list but I haven't had much luck getting that one to work correctly. Over this weekend I've spent more time trying to get games to work than actually playing them. Alien Isolation is out next week and although Ethan Carter came out they cut the VR support for that game just before release.

Another weird thing is that placement of the device on your face has to be dead on accurate. Even a quarter of an inch in any direction will make the display look odd and creates a color bleed effect that looks like a convergence issue. Even when placement on your head is perfect, only the portion of the screen that is directly in front of you is totally clear and aligned. As you get towards the outer edges, the color convergence goes off. When that's your peripheral vision it looks fine, but if point your eyes at the edges they look pretty bad. This means that the ability to turn your perspective or use head tracking is a must and it's another reason why you can't use the Oculus to view your desktop (as there's no tracking). Even when the stereoscopic vision works, if you are in a situation where you can't turn your perspective (like a menu in a game that doesn't have native support) then you might not be able to see what you need. For games that do support the Oculus, the menu exists in 3D space so you can move around it.

As far as how well the device works overall, when it works well it works very well. The 3D works great (although it doesn't fill your entire vision but for glasses wearers this should be less of an adjustment), but what really sells it is the headtracking. Turning your head and having your perspective change 1:1 with your head movement really makes you feel like you are standing in the game. The tech demos are currently the most impressive uses of the tech, and the rollercoaster demos can give you a real sense of vertigo although I didn't find myself flailing like a spaz or falling over but I can see why this messes with people's perception. The biggest issue is just the software support, but that'll only improve over time.

More to come...

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Checkout this:

Loading Video...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

And you didn't even tell us how the dating sims are, sheesh.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11781 Posts

I wear glasses. That reason, the pixelization, and spotty software that you mentioned above, are the main reasons why I am more interested in the Totem, than the Oculus.

The Totem features individually adjustable focus lenses. (or something to that affect)

That being said I am grateful of the progress Oculus has made.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@Lach0121: Glasses and these types of things never mix. Heck I really don't even go to 3D Movies because of my glasses....

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@Lach0121 said:

I wear glasses. That reason, the pixelization, and spotty software that you mentioned above, are the main reasons why I am more interested in the Totem, than the Oculus.

The Totem features individually adjustable focus lenses. (or something to that affect)

That being said I am grateful of the progress Oculus has made.

I don't know if the Oculus (or VR in general) is going to be the next big thing but the expectation is that the final version of the Oculus will be at least a big a leap forward as the DK2 was from the DK1. Right now, the vision issue isn't an issue (at least for my mild astigmatism) because the actual screens are so close to your head it's easier to focus on them clearly, but I also own contacts for exactly this reason. Well, I had gotten them in anticipation of Google Glass or other such devices, but after seeing that it's a $1700 PDA that sits on your face I decided to take a pass.

Alien Isolation is out today. That's next on my list to try.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

Grrr. Apparenlty they cut Oculus support for the game months before the release and I can't get it to work with VorpX. Same deal with Ethan Carter, although I can get that game working with the Oculus in an acceptible manner using VorpX complete with headlook. The Eyefinity support is dead on, though.

-Byshop

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11781 Posts

Don't work with Alien Isolation? That sucks! Maybe they will add support back for it in some later patches once the consumer unit launches...

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I have the DK2 for a while now. It is much better than the DK1, but the res is still way to low. It needs at least 4k to look well enough. Still, playing games like Elite Dangerous is fantastic

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@ArchoNils2: Yeah, I feel like it could benefit from some higher resolution screens. Some proper retina displays would probably do the trick, but I'm sure it's a matter fo balancing quality versus cost/price.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Byshop  Moderator

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/how-to-play-alien-isolation-with-oculus-rift

Woohoo!

-Byshop

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Yeah I was looking as well...

I seen this and thought of you!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/10/08/here-39-s-how-how-to-unlock-oculus-rift-support-for-alien-isolation.aspx

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator

That took like what, two days? lol. I'm going to start it up right now. No idea if I'll actually play the whole game like that. To be honest from what I played it's already pretty unnerving and the Oculus vesion might be a bit much...

-Byshop

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ArchoNils2

@Byshop said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/08/how-to-play-alien-isolation-with-oculus-rift

Woohoo!

-Byshop

I actually wanted to avoid this game, but this looks really, really interessting. I played some crap "horror" games on my rift already and even though they were crap, I had more fear than ever before playing a game. I actually threw my DK1 away the first time I played a "horror" game (and it was pretty stupid actually, some kind of mini maze with a statue that moves if you don't look, a zomby lady and a dino that ate me which caused my DK1 to fly away. Do not remember the games name though, but it looked actually pretty bad :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Byshop  Moderator

@ArchoNils2 said:

@Byshop said:

Woohoo!

-Byshop

I actually wanted to avoid this game, but this looks really, really interessting. I played some crap "horror" games on my rift already and even though they were crap, I had more fear than ever before playing a game. I actually threw my DK1 away the first time I played a "horror" game (and it was pretty stupid actually, some kind of mini maze with a statue that moves if you don't look, a zomby lady and a dino that ate me which caused my DK1 to fly away. Do not remember the games name though, but it looked actually pretty bad :P

That sounds like a Doctor Who Weeping Angels game. I didn't know there was such a thing but what a fun idea for an Oculus game.

So I tried AI with the above hack and I had mixed results. I couldn't get Direct Mode to work and I had to remove the "Off" line from the XML (per suggestion from another GAF user), but I could get it to work in an Extended Mode window and drag it over to the Oculus. Leaning, headlook, etc all worked great, but some of the HUD text was a bit off.

-Byshop

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArchoNils2

@Byshop said:

@ArchoNils2 said:

@Byshop said:

Woohoo!

-Byshop

That sounds like a Doctor Who Weeping Angels game. I didn't know there was such a thing but what a fun idea for an Oculus game.

So I tried AI with the above hack and I had mixed results. I couldn't get Direct Mode to work and I had to remove the "Off" line from the XML (per suggestion from another GAF user), but I could get it to work in an Extended Mode window and drag it over to the Oculus. Leaning, headlook, etc all worked great, but some of the HUD text was a bit off.

-Byshop

Just checked it for you, it is called Dreadhalls and can be found on the oculus website: https://share.oculusvr.com/app/dreadhalls

Back then when I used the first version (DK1) this wa a great experience I shared with many others. But I guess with DK2 and more games around, it is probably dated :)