Nvidia Shield Handheld Console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4146 posts) -

I've only just noticed this, I think its a great idea.

Whether it will work or not is a different matter

videothumb-project-shield.jpg

In a surprise announcement at CES, NVIDIA today announced Project SHIELD, a gaming portable for open platforms. With the form factor of a full-sized game controller, a flip-out 5 720p retinal display, and powered by the new Tegra 4 processor, SHIELD is a new device category that works with both Android and PC.

SHIELD has two faces; on one hand, its a full-fledged Android gaming portable, on the other its a wireless client to a GeForce GTX PC. In both cases it uses existing, open ecosystems with a vast selection of titles.

Project SHIELD was created by NVIDIA engineers who love to game and imagined a new way to play, said Jen-Hsun Huang, co-founder and CEO of NVIDIA. We were inspired by a vision that the rise of mobile and cloud technologies will free us from our boxes, letting us game anywhere, on any screen. We imagined a device that would do for games what the iPod and Kindle have done for music and books, letting us play in a cool new way. We hope other gamers love SHIELD as much as we do

One of largest gaming platforms today is Android. While touchscreen controls works great for some titles, many games, especially first person titles, can be frustrating and imprecise to control. Many accessory makers have created dongles to link game controllers to Android phones and tablets. Clearly people love playing games on Android but touchscreen alone isnt meeting gamers needs.

With the goal of building an ideal Android gaming device, SHIELD integrates a full-sized game controller with a high-resolution touchscreen. By leveraging the Android platform, SHIELD works with a vast catalogue of games from day one and offers both touch and physical controls.

An Android device with full controls, however, is only half the story. With the Kepler architecture, NVIDIA engineers had perfected an ultra-fast H.264 hardware encoder designed for real time streaming. HD gameplay can be captured, encoded, and streamed with very low latency. This new streaming capability is the foundation for the second face of SHIELD: a wireless handheld counterpart to a GeForce GTX PC.

Most PC gamers own a fairly sizabl games library. But unlike music and video which can be streamed freely around the house, playing PC games requires sitting in front of a PC. Even if the picture could be streamed, where would it stream to and how would one interact with it? SHIELD elegantly solves both problems. With a 5 1280x720 screen and a full sized controller, it is capable of not only displaying a PC game in its full glory, it lets you play it too. And because the rendering is done on the PC and the picture is streamed as video, you get GeForce GTX class graphics and long battery life. Its kind of like having a GeForce GTX PC in the palm of your hand combined with the battery life of a Tegra device.

project-shield-streaming.jpg

Tegra 4 Processor

project-shield-tegra4.png

Naturally, NVIDIA put its latest and greatest processor into its first gaming portable. At the heart of SHIELD is the new Tegra 4, the worlds fastest mobile processor. It is powered by a quad core ARM Cortex-A15 CPU and 72 custom GPU cores 6x the GPU horsepower of its predecessor. Through its second-generation battery saver core and PRISM 2 Display technology, Tegra 4 provides hours of gameplay on a single charge.

Console-Grade Controller

project-shield-controller-top.jpg

PC gamers play to win and nothing is more frustrating than inadequate controls. SHIELD provides a full console-grade controller with 2 joysticks, a D-pad, ABXY buttons, left/right bumpers, left/right analog triggers, Start/Back/Home/Volume buttons, and a multi-function NVIDIA/Power button.

5 Retinal Display

SHIELD flips open to an integrated 5 1280x720 HD multi-touch display. With 294 dpi and 921,600 pixels, SHIELD has the highest resolution and pixel density of any handheld gaming device. In addition, Tegra 4s Direct Touch technology gives SHIELD touch response three times faster than other touch devices.

Ported Speaker System

Speakers on gaming handhelds have been mediocre at best. Not so with SHIELD. SHIELDs speakers are custom designed to take advantage of the controllers deep body. In addition to left and right speakers, two tuned ports provide exceptional bass response. The resulting sound is full and rich, a step above even many high-end laptops.

Availability and Final Words

SHIELD is expected to ship in Q2 of 2013. It will first launch in the US and Canada, with a worldwide rollout to follow. Pricing and final specs will be unveiled closer to availability. You can sign upto be notified for the release.

SHIELD is perhaps NVIDIAs most ambitious gaming project to date. On the one hand, its the most powerful and full-fledged Android gaming portable, on the other, its a pocket version of a GeForce GTX PC.

#2 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

so its an iphone with a joystick...meh ill pass. This thing is butt ugly, its big and probably heavy. A 3ds or psvita makes much more sense.

#3 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4146 posts) -
What makes you think its an Iphone, it's running android! Also it streams from your PC so you play your pc games! Would be great for emulators as well
#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

controller looks terrible
it's also way too bulky

pass

just get a 3ds and play some good games on the go. I'd say vita, except vita got no games.

and then get your normal android phone like my galaxy skyrocket to play some emulated games on touch controls, provided you can compensate for them.
That or slide an icontrolpad out from your backpack or pocket, I have one, it works nice

#5 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

it's also way too bulky

pass

just get a 3ds and play some good games on the go. I'd say vita, except vita got no games.

and then get your normal android phone like my galaxy skyrocket to play some emulated games on touch controls, provided you can compensate for them.
That or slide an icontrolpad out from your backpack or pocket, I have one, it works nice

JigglyWiggly_

I got a vita and 3ds and the vita does have games. The games aren't as good as the 3ds but still it is catching up now. Plus watching netflix on the 3ds is unbearable. It is just disgusting, and I have no clue why nintendo even included the option for it. The vita is a much better multimedia player, the screen is gorgeous, and best of all psp + is the best thing to ever happen to vita (free retail games every other month). Nintendo would never offer such an awesome service, since they are just dirty misers that only like to suck as much money out of you as possible.

#6 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

What makes you think its an Iphone, it's running android! Also it streams from your PC so you play your pc games! Would be great for emulators as wellacanofcoke

so basically you need to be somewhere with a wifi connection, which doesn't make sense, you may as well just use your desktop. It will probably have 4g but im betting that will cost you some serious $$. Also the wifi connection needs to be really really good, other wise streaming high quality graphics to this will just result in lag or poor graphics on the nvidia shield. Another point is, PC games are best played with mouse and keyboard, only a few work well with controllers. The way I see it, nvidia is trying to branch out, but their idea will flop, I sure as hell won't be buying it.

On a side note, the steam box looks really cool, cant wait to hear more about it. $1000 for it is a little crazy though, and im not sure how they can fit decent quality parts in a 40 watt envelope.

#7 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

it's also way too bulky

pass

blaznwiipspman1

I got a vita and 3ds and the vita does have games. The games aren't as good as the 3ds but still it is catching up now. Plus watching netflix on the 3ds is unbearable. It is just disgusting, and I have no clue why nintendo even included the option for it. The vita is a much better multimedia player, the screen is gorgeous, and best of all psp + is the best thing to ever happen to vita (free retail games every other month). Nintendo would never offer such an awesome service, since they are just dirty misers that only like to suck as much money out of you as possible.

i don't care what else the vita can do beside games that's what a cell phone is for
#8 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

it's also way too bulky

pass

JigglyWiggly_

i don't care what else the vita can do beside games that's what a cell phone is for

true, but the vita has some amazing games now, check the vita page on gamespot, there are a alot of AA+ games in its library now. There is even a super smash brothers clone for the vita called battle stars royale....it is a shameful knock off, sony needs to bow their heads to nintendo for making it lol. But the formula is still awesome so its hard to fault the game.

What games do you recommend for the 3ds? Im playing tales of abyss right now, its solid but definitely not the best RPG game out there. Ive beaten mario kart (awesome), shinobi (awesome), LoZ (classic).

#9 Posted by WastelandArcher (80 posts) -
I'm gonna stick with my 3DS XL. I never owned a DS so I have a large back log of games to play. This system seems like it could be cool but who wants to play their PC games on a smaller, bulkier controller through streamed data? And for that matter, I haven't found one Android game I'm willing to pay for -- this is not a limitation of Android I should say.
#10 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

I'm gonna stick with my 3DS XL. I never owned a DS so I have a large back log of games to play. This system seems like it could be cool but who wants to play their PC games on a smaller, bulkier controller through streamed data? And for that matter, I haven't found one Android game I'm willing to pay for -- this is not a limitation of Android I should say.WastelandArcher

yeah android has no good games

iphone has a few good games, shmups and rolando 2

rolando 2 is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3bN_zQ8bxs&t=32s

thankfully there's emulators.

#11 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8835 posts) -

I rather have Nvidia make new discreet graphic cards and work on Project Denver instead of wasting their time making a future failure.

#12 Posted by WastelandArcher (80 posts) -

yeah android has no good games

iphone has a few good games, shmups and rolando 2

rolando 2 is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3bN_zQ8bxs&t=32s

thankfully there's emulators.

JigglyWiggly_

That does look like fun, the iPhone seems to have a good games library, but I get so frustrated with motion control gaming. As far as shumps go, they're available for every console, but I haven't heard of any great ones on Android. I'll definitely be passing on this console and saving my pennies for an editing rig.

Yeah, emulators are a god send.

#13 Posted by overhead_drums (313 posts) -
I think it looks nice, i would buy one, obviously depending on price. I brought a 3DS but in my opinion there are no games worth buying apart from ocarina of time, and thats not exactly a new game.
#14 Posted by superclocked (5831 posts) -
Hmm, this does give credence to the rumors that both the PS3 and 360 will use AMD GPU's. But I seriously doubt that the first iteration of this thing is going to sell very well. It may be a good collectors item though...
#15 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

This for me is one of that gimmicks that has a cool factor about it, but if you actually sit down and think about you will never use. Downsides is it needing a very good net connection and a 6 series card.

#16 Posted by osirisx3 (1890 posts) -

lamer then my moms legs.

#17 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4146 posts) -
I can't believe all the negativity. Imagine lying in bed playing Skyrim or Sleeping Dogs.
#18 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

Also it streams from your PC so you play your pc games!acanofcoke

Everyone exclaims this but no-one actually thinks about it do they?

Where are you streaming to/from, and over what connection?

Local network? Bluetooth? 4G?

I can only imagine the amount of lag I would get while playing Crysis 3 from my PC (using upload bandwidth like mad because the PC is rendering everything)
to my Nvidia Shield over 4G. The data would be insane, the upload on my home PC would be so high after a month of use, and the lag would be unbearable.

Even if this thing used Wireless N, and could simply connect to any router, again using it from outside the home would result in several GB of data usage within a week, and I might as well just use the PC monitor, as the PC would already be in use rendering everything for the Nvidia Shield.

This is like having your PS3 plugged into a 50" LED 3d TV, yet Sony releasing a new update for VITA that lets you play PS3 games on your VITA so long as the PS3 isn't in use yet you're close enough to "tether" them together.
Why not just use that 50" LED tv?

#19 Posted by IC3_C0LD_ZERO (297 posts) -
I may give it a shot if the streaming works this time. PS Vita's streaming (if i remember correctly) only works for certain titles, and Wii U's is so crappy that you lose the signal if you go to a nearby room in your house
#20 Posted by JFlame44 (42 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

blaznwiipspman1

true, but the vita has some amazing games now, check the vita page on gamespot, there are a alot of AA+ games in its library now. There is even a super smash brothers clone for the vita called battle stars royale....it is a shameful knock off, sony needs to bow their heads to nintendo for making it lol. But the formula is still awesome so its hard to fault the game.

What games do you recommend for the 3ds? Im playing tales of abyss right now, its solid but definitely not the best RPG game out there. Ive beaten mario kart (awesome), shinobi (awesome), LoZ (classic).

Meh, it looks pretty good. Hell, I'd love to play battlefield under the table in my class, but it just would probably be so bulky, heavy, and that controller is pretty damn ugly. I can settle for the terrible copycat gameloft games on iPhone for now. However, if they would make it sleeker than you better believe I'd buy it. And am i the only one still unsure how the heck you GET games on that thing? It seems like it'd be a real pain...
#21 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7494 posts) -

I can't believe all the negativity. Imagine lying in bed playing Skyrim or Sleeping Dogs.acanofcoke

**** sounds interesting already. More use to Skyrim with kb though.

So I am guessing the Intel payout to NV is going somewhere.

Well I can say this will be an interesting year with NV & Valve breaking into console markets. Though I bet is going to be tough for either to gain recognition since they are not a household name.

#22 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
And am i the only one still unsure how the heck you GET games on that thing? It seems like it'd be a real pain...JFlame44
That's the thing, you dont... You stream them from your PC... They've yet to announce if it's Via 4G, Wireless N, Bluetooth, or what.
#23 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]Also it streams from your PC so you play your pc games!Nibroc420

Everyone exclaims this but no-one actually thinks about it do they?

Where are you streaming to/from, and over what connection?

Local network? Bluetooth? 4G?

I can only imagine the amount of lag I would get while playing Crysis 3 from my PC (using upload bandwidth like mad because the PC is rendering everything)
to my Nvidia Shield over 4G. The data would be insane, the upload on my home PC would be so high after a month of use, and the lag would be unbearable.

Even if this thing used Wireless N, and could simply connect to any router, again using it from outside the home would result in several GB of data usage within a week, and I might as well just use the PC monitor, as the PC would already be in use rendering everything for the Nvidia Shield.

This is like having your PS3 plugged into a 50" LED 3d TV, yet Sony releasing a new update for VITA that lets you play PS3 games on your VITA so long as the PS3 isn't in use yet you're close enough to "tether" them together.
Why not just use that 50" LED tv?

pretty sure the streaming is over LAN only for now.
#24 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

I can't believe all the negativity. Imagine lying in bed playing Skyrim or Sleeping Dogs.acanofcoke

or ridge racer, the psp version is dhat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8woqOH4cZg&list=FLUTVRxG9CkcFb_ITr8Q6G3w&t=3m

#25 Posted by achilles614 (4864 posts) -
I'd probably get one, I don't have some sick fetish to be chained to my desktop every time I wanna play my games....or for rocket knight.
#26 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23673 posts) -

I'd probably get one, I don't have some sick fetish to be chained to my desktop every time I wanna play my games....or for rocket knight.achilles614
aw yiss

#27 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Price will make or break this. There target market, is people who like andriod, and then people who own nvidia 600 series cards.

#28 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6070 posts) -

the shield doesnt even work unless you have a gtx video card? looks like we have another physx on our hand folks. Both are doomed to failure

#29 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

the shield doesnt even work unless you have a gtx video card? looks like we have another physx on our hand folks. Both are doomed to failure

blaznwiipspman1

Thats correct you must have a gtx 600 series gpu to use the streaming feature

#30 Posted by achilles614 (4864 posts) -

blaznwiipspman1
wtf would nvidia make this for AMD cards if their intent is to um sell GTX cards... It's not other companies jobs to design products or software for AMD :lol:
#31 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2598 posts) -
just thinking about that sounds heavenly although the time between enjoying your game on your bed and replacing your outdated handheld will make it not worth it. And price.. Ew. Meanwhile your saving up to upgrade your rig at the same time. So you'll end up upgrading 2 machines to play one game. Boo
#32 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
[QUOTE="acanofcoke"]I can't believe all the negativity. Imagine lying in bed playing Skyrim or Sleeping Dogs._SKatEDiRt_
just thinking about that sounds heavenly although the time between enjoying your game on your bed and replacing your outdated handheld will make it not worth it. And price.. Ew. Meanwhile your saving up to upgrade your rig at the same time. So you'll end up upgrading 2 machines to play one game. Boo

But it's got a 5" screen, and can stream from your PC! Oh yeah, HDMI cables and wireless 360 controllers.
#33 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

achilles614

wtf would nvidia make this for AMD cards if their intent is to um sell GTX cards... It's not other companies jobs to design products or software for AMD :lol:

I'm not saying it is, i'm just saying its a poor decision as it cuts your market in about half. It would have been better to use some type to software for the streamer. Plus then forcing it to the 600 series, cuts it by another about another 75 percent if not more.

#34 Posted by achilles614 (4864 posts) -

[QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

James161324

I'm not saying it is, i'm just saying its a poor decision as it cuts your market in about half. It would have been better to use some type to software for the streamer. Plus then forcing it to the 600 series, cuts it by another about another 75 percent if not more.

You have to start somewhere. I'd rather see a company take a risk and try to come up with a new innovative product than to play it safe and give us the same crap we're used to.
#35 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
Too bulky and lacks practicality for myself. I don't really have a huge need to play games on the go, and when I am sitting down it's at my mouse and keyboard.
#36 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="achilles614"] wtf would nvidia make this for AMD cards if their intent is to um sell GTX cards... It's not other companies jobs to design products or software for AMD :lol:achilles614

You have to start somewhere. I'd rather see a company take a risk and try to come up with a new innovative product than to play it safe and give us the same crap we're used to.

The risk can be problematic. If they put a large amount of money into product development and barely sell any units, it can end badly. What I would like to see, however, is more technology research into stuff like the Occulus Rift.
#37 Posted by GunMonster (19 posts) -
The amount of video data is significantly less than the computing of game. The speed of network connection is standardized, so if the PC is capable to run a game, then the handheld console can play through stream. It won't cost a lot from add a couple more wireless router / access point / amplifier at home, if you wanna play non-stop even at washroom or laundry.
#38 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

[QUOTE="James161324"]

[QUOTE="achilles614"] wtf would nvidia make this for AMD cards if their intent is to um sell GTX cards... It's not other companies jobs to design products or software for AMD :lol:achilles614

Not always i just can't see a market for this. For those who don't own 600 series gpu's, this isn't much more of a 5 inch tablet attached to a controller. You can alrady use a contoller with the andriod OS, it isn't anything new. The streaming will be interesting but companies such as splashtop already does this.