Nvidia Posts Record Revenue Following Maxwell Launch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

aceatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 aceatch
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

PC gaming and graphics are alive and well

If you caught Gordon Mah Ung's farewell podcast last week (*sniffles*), you heard him talk about the ridiculous theme he's heard throughout his career at Maximum PC, that being the impending death of the PC. The same has been said about PC gaming -- they go hand-in-hand, after all -- but in reality, PCs and PC gaming are in great places right now. If you don't believe it, put your iPad down and check out Nvidia's record performance last quarter, in which it reported revenue of $1.23 billion en route to a $173 million profit ($220 million on a non-GAAP basis).

That's up 16 percent from $1.05 billion a year earlier and up 11 percent from $1.10 billion sequentially. And if you look at revenue for the past three quarters, it comes out to a record $3.43 billion, up 15 percent from $2.99 billion a year prior. So the next time a naysayer spouts off the usual "PC is dead" nonsense, kindly inform him or her of Nvidia's record breaking performance.

"Nvidia's focus on creating visual computing platforms for datacenter, mobile and PC drove record revenue this quarter," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and chief executive officer of Nvidia.

"Growth drivers have kicked in for us on several fronts. High-performance computing, virtualization and web service providers have created demand for our GPU-accelerated datacenter platforms. Automakers are using Tegra to help reinvent the driving experience. And our new Maxwell architecture is a giant leap forward that has triggered a major upgrade cycle by PC gamers," Huang added.

It was a busy quarter for Nvidia, which saw the launch of new GeForce GTX graphics cards based on its Maxwell architecture, as well as the continued push of its Tegra K1 mobile processor into new products like the Nexus 9, Shield Tablet, and select Chromebook models from Acer and HP.

Nvidia's also made inroads in the automotive industry; there are now more than 6 million cars on the road with infotainment systems powered by Nvidia, with more to come.

Looking ahead to next quarter, Nvidia is forecasting $1.2 billion in revenue, plus or minus 2 percent.

Link to acticle

Looks like a good year for PC gaming! just wish they hurry up and release the GTX 960 so I replace my ageing 560ti

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I don't know why I felt the need to give them so much of my money to get a launch 980 but I'm currently satisfied with it. Had no idea NVIDIA is getting into the automotive industry.