nVidia going with Samsung's 14nm node for future GPUs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Source: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/nvidia_to_use_samsung_14nm_process_of_future_gpus/1

Samsung's 14nm FinFET process node is said to be coming into full production a full quarter ahead of TSMC's 16nm process, meaning that Nvidia's switch should get Nvidia chips on a next-generation process to the market earlier. Right now it is unknown if Nvidia will be manufacturing exclusively with Samsung on 14nm, or if GlabalFoundaries will get some orders on their 14nm process.

Faster time to market seems to be the main reason for Nvidia's move to Samsung's 14nm, but it is also suspected to have slightly better performance characteristics than TSMC's 16nm FinFET process, especially given how Apple has also gone back to Samsung for the production of their SoC's after using TSMC's 20nm proces for their A8 chip.

GlobalFoundries has licensed Samsung's 14nm process, allowing them to be able to make similar chips for Nvidia, but right now it is unknown if Samsung will be working with both foundries.

What do you guys think?

Sorry for poor cut and paste of the source article. Wanted to post this, but iPad gives me limited options here on GS :(

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The leap we've all been waiting for.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 horgen  Moderator

@Gaming-Planet: Lets hope it pays of for them.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@horgen: Thats great news.

It was about time since TSMC seems to have a lot of problems.

They wanted to move to an other fab maker for a long time, they even poke Intel (LOL), but Intel wanted to keep the best fabs in the world only for them.

This is something that benefits both cause I guess Nvidia will be able to take advantage of 14nm and Samsung to maybe gain access to Nvidia mobile access.

Not to mention that after this Nvidia will probably not ask anything when they will probably win the fight in the court against Samsung.

This is a win-win for both companies.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 horgen  Moderator

@Coseniath: And how about us consumers ?

I hope this means we don't have to wait for so long for Pascal... And now possible at 14nm instead of 16. If I understand this right.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@horgen: Well since Samsung's 14nm is a quarter ahead of TSMC's 16nm, I think Pascal will come sooner.

But to be honest, if Samsung is so earlier ready for 14nm, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw a Maxwell refresh first...

I understand this the same way you do...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horgen  Moderator

@Coseniath: well nVidia can go do inappropriate things if they release a Maxwell refresh.