Not sure what to think of Divinity: original sin

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I have not played much...few hours or so but I'm not sure I should have bought this one.

It's just so....slow.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BSC14 said:

I have not played much...few hours or so but I'm not sure I should have bought this one.

It's just so....slow.

Well, it's turn based which makes it slower than real time RPGs, and also has a lot more side story than mainstream RPGs.

It's very old school.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

It's just so....slow.

Well, it's turn based which makes it slower than real time RPGs, and also has a lot more side story than mainstream RPGs.

It's very old school.

Yeah, I'm on the fence. :)

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I started and quit because I very much did not like the story or the lore, talented programmers and artists but awful storytellers

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

It's just so....slow.

It's very old school.

Yeah, I'm on the fence. :)

It's not for everyone, but that's the beauty of Kickstarter. We can get really cool niche games for people who are fans of the genres. This game is great for people who like games like the early Ultima games (especially 7) or the first two Fallout games.

-Byshop

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23766 Posts

The first few hours are easily the weakest link and I can easily see why someone considers the game dull early on. Those who are used to action RPGs may find themselves put off by the turn based combat. Others simply find the game too hard and unable to progress anywhere because they find the quests too confusing, enemies too strong or both.

That said, it is the best RPG I have played in years. And I can between custom campaigns and trying out new builds, I can see this game lasting me a long while.

It is both encouraging and discouraging to see this game which was put together by 40 Belgians inbetween their D&D sessions turn out to be a far superior product to that 100+ million dollar budget games like ESO. Encouraging because it shows how good passion towards your product is, discouraging because it shows just how far AAA devs have fallen.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

This game becomes fantastic after about lvl 6 or 7, so much fun in battle!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

The first five hours or so are terrible, it does get better but progress is always very slow which ultimately caused me to lose interest.

Don't give up on it yet, if you bought it you might as well give it a fair shot.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

it is an unusal game, and i don't mean that in a negative way.

i rarely play games like it because i don't have the patience but i decided to give it a go since i have a bit of time nowadays. it is certainly very slow paced which can be frustrating for some, but the all of the parts of the games are designed extremely well so if there's something that feels like it's a thorn in your side it might be something that's not to your taste.

i dont like most turn based games because i find the combat too hard so i'm playing D:OS on easy, but i'm really liking the story, setting and quest system so far. it involves quite a bit of puzzle solving and looking for clues if you want to steer the outcome to whatever it is that your looking for and the choices are very varied. i'm typically used to quest markers everywhere such in ARPG's so this is a good change of pace. moments when you stumble upon stuff that you normally wouldn't had you been playing an action RPG are what makes D:OS great, it makes the player feel as if he was dropped into the world instead of having the world crafted specifically for the player.

one thing i really don't like is the role-playing thing that each of your character does. it's interesting, but i feel like it doesn't add anything important to the singleplayer.

i haven't gotten very far so let's see how it turns out.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

I'd push through the beginning and get to level 5 at least, its starts to pick up there once you leave the city and starting getting into battles and such.

But yes it is a slower RPG game then most these days.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

I felt the same way as you at first and gave up on it, but after all the great reviews everywhere I decided to give it another shot and now I'm addicted.

I'm only at level 6, and I'm having so much fun exploring and doing random quests. I do suck though, I die a alot but I keep coming back.

Once you leave the first city, you'll have so much more fun just be patient, but try to level up a bit by doing all the quests in the city otherwise you'll get slaughtered.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

The first big chunk of the game is completing quests around the first town with little fighting,im about 10 hours in and have just left the first town :P

It is actually a benefit because it is much tougher than most modern Rpg's and you should be familiar with the systems of the game before it decides to beat you over the head with some tougher battles and enemies,it can take a while to understand how elements work in battles and the like,i actually like the fact it eased me slowly into it rather than hitting a brick wall and dying over and over again right from the start because of the dreaded "wtf am i doing??"

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

ive just bought the game, based off its high acclaim not played it yet but its next on my list. I just finished Stick of Truth I somehow get the feeling its more complex than that hahaha

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7af233131eb
deactivated-5c7af233131eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 deactivated-5c7af233131eb
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

I am posting this here as I wanted this problem to go into the DOS2 response rather than starting a new topic.

I think the following should probably go on a beginners guide thing with newbies in new rpg turn based games but I'm new to this forum. I like games but I don't win much and I'm not a young guy.....but I know and have a lot of the good games out/….DD , Civs, Xcom, POE, mostly strategy and hex wargames....and 4x.

I think I don't know how to play this game DOS2 definitive even in explorer mode as I find myself overwhelmed by all the tabs for things right from the beginning of this on my screen below. I guess I don't know how to utilize these inventory items from places and trade and such and the mechanical steps into placing this so my character can use them. I think this is just a common thing that most, if not all do in their sleep in this kind of games but I need a visual step by step how to use the interface with my player ….I know about customizing etc ..that's no big deal but all these boxes you find and storing things etc. I get the concept but I do not know how to use these things mainly.....does anyone know of a you tube that I can watch a simple easy to follow guide on how to use the things you pick up and skills etc. An example of one inventory item and show then how to have your player use it. Trades too. The other thing is combat …..don't understand what to click here...I see my skills below and I can move my guy but right click this left click that …..im just guessing for sure. Basic combat ….how to do it.....mechanically what to click etc. step by step example. Most people complain that they are getting beat too much.....I can't even get my guy to know how to fight:) you can laugh. I admit it . I don't know squat. Maybe this game is just too difficult, but I do like the role play and the choice of answering the people you meet in various responses in the game.

In the beginning …..I'm on this ship and I never get far because I can't even open the doors and I know the keys are hiding and I am supposed to find them...….again its the actual mechanics of the game ….click this …..etc, I found myself going up the high ladder out of the tutorial and was on top of the ship and after fighting by fluke and running away eventually hopped on the boat and escaped to an island …...and then it got better ….I walked around talked to people. Said the wrong response and wound up with 3 guys after me in combat ...died because I just did not know what the heck I was doing.....its like pushing /clicking right click ...left click guessing..tried right clicking on enemy and got some kicks on the guy but that's all and I'm not sure how it worked when I was successful in my kicks.

Want to play …..but wish I could be comfortable with the mechanics of this game. In Xcom I find it easy to use the mechanics as the choices are right there in combat as our the moves of cover etc. but this game is way more complex. That is not a bad thing ...I just don't get even the basics of the ui even how to implement the inventory items ...all these items ….things.....how to use them in the game.

any thing on the internet sights, you tube? …..how to play DD rpg games for complete dummies. Step by step ...wouldn't bother me. I don't want to give up.

By the way I play PC in this game.....but in my PS4 I have the Witcher 3 and I have never been able to use all these potions and food etc in my inventory all these detailed things within this box with some having like 5-10 categories of just stuff..same also in DOS2 with this box storage thing ….just not clear what the $$%# im doing. Same exact problem and there is no real tutorial that walks you thru it while you play. I end up riding around a lot...boring.

Maybe I should just give up.....why play if it's not fun, or it's a headache just to grasp how to play. But I wish I did that keeps tugging at me....because I think if I knew then I would like it much.

Mainly.....I'm overwhelmed with "stuff" and lots of little things and items.....

That's all. I'm done

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9378 Posts
@jer_1 said:

This game becomes fantastic after about lvl 6 or 7, so much fun in battle!

Yeah and at that point you realize there are a ton of ways to approach every situation, combat or otherwise.

I loved it so much that I put about 100 hours into it in 2 weeks.

The early levels are tough because you have to figure out where the low level enemies are.

There are tons of weird item abilities and crazy spells and they are as useful in combat as they are outside of combat. The best thing to do is just experiment. Anything you can buy, you can steal.