Noob PC Gamer Free Game Guidance

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Qwikstreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Qwikstreet
Member since 2002 • 2883 Posts

So I am wrapping up my very first PC build to dive into gaming on the PC. I've always been a console player since Atari 2600. I bought a qualified AMD GPU and now get three free games. Some of them I never heard of but they sound decent. I'm looking for some fellow guidance. My gaming taste is very eclectic from racing to fps to action to RPG to etc.

Link to free games

I was looking at Star Citizen and Alien Isolation. I also was a fan of the older Tomb Raisers and Dirt series. Sniper Elite 3 looks ok.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

@Qwikstreet: Well, as I look at the games that I would normally choose (Tomb Raider, Hitman, Sleeping Dogs), I realized you can probably get them fairly cheap on Steam or some other game download site. What I would probably do is choose games that are more expensive but I have some interest in.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@Qwikstreet: I own (and played) all of those games except for 2. Tomb Raider and Alan Wake would be my top picks and then I'd choose Alien: Isolation mainly because it's the most expensive since it's not even out yet. I'd avoid Star Citizen since it's not a finished game. Avoid Sniper Elite like the plague. DiRT 3 is okay but it was the decline of the series with it's dumb as hell gymkhana bullshit. Tomb Raider and Alan Wake both have absolutely sick graphics and will really show off the graphics card well.

1) Tomb Raider http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tomb-raider

2) Alan Wake http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/alan-wake

3) Alien: Isolation http://youtu.be/5Ff-R5pyeGk

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts

I would look in to some of the indie games on Steam. 7 days to die is pretty good. Make sure you have a decent video card and 8-16gb of ram. You will find with most pc gamers, it's just as much about having a nice pc as playing the games.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
@sixty7velle said:

Make sure you have a decent video card and 8-16gb of ram.

No game uses 8GB let alone 16GB. 8GB is fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@Qwikstreet: I would choose Napolean Total War, Alien Isolation, and Sleeping Dogs from that list. You might decide to substitute Alien Isolation for Tomb Raider, Just Cause 2, or Saints Row since it isn't out yet and we are unsure of it's quality. Those would be my choices from that list, having played most of those games.

sethman410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By sethman410
Member since 2008 • 2967 Posts

There is also ALOT of good quality free games out there, including free-to-play. Although some free-to-play titles are pay-to-win.