No audio on YouTube videos - Headphones Only

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
My computer setup consists of a 5.1 Headset as well as 2.0 speakers. I regularly switch between the two through 'Audio Devices' depending on whether I'm listening to music or playing a game. Today I was going to watch a YouTube video (It was a music video, but thats irrelevant) and the video would play but I couldn't hear anything. Then after 10 minutes of frustration, I switched my headset round, so the left ear speaker was now on my right ear and so forth, and suddenly the headset started working again and I could hear everything. Then when I switched it round again so it was normal, I couldn't hear anything. I've restarted my browser countless times and checked YouTubes own solutions for this problem. I believe my flash player is up to date. It's so bizarre. Audio still works fine on the speakers. This occurs no matter what browser I use. UPDATE: Some videos have sound, others don't. It seems completely random; I am really confused. Can anyone help me with this strange problem?
#2 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7270 posts) -

Restart computer?

#3 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -

Restart computer?

Bikouchu35
Already did that; it didn't make a difference.
#4 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
You're not using a USB headset, are you?
#5 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
You're not using a USB headset, are you?NamelessPlayer
No.
#6 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
This is indeed one strange issue, and you just said the headset wasn't USB. Probably using front-panel 3.5mm audio jacks which your sound device passes off as a separate output audio device, I take it. Have you tried plugging the headset into the speaker outputs and checking if you hear audio through that with the headset? Inconvenient, but it'll help us troubleshoot the issue.
#7 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]This is indeed one strange issue, and you just said the headset wasn't USB. Probably using front-panel 3.5mm audio jacks which your sound device passes off as a separate output audio device, I take it. Have you tried plugging the headset into the speaker outputs and checking if you hear audio through that with the headset? Inconvenient, but it'll help us troubleshoot the issue.

I am using an Asus Xonar DG soundcard, so the headphones plug into the back panel. These are my headphones http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-RS6F-M-ZM-RS6-F-Headphones/dp/B000BR0DTK They really are amazing headphones for £30.
#8 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]This is indeed one strange issue, and you just said the headset wasn't USB. Probably using front-panel 3.5mm audio jacks which your sound device passes off as a separate output audio device, I take it. Have you tried plugging the headset into the speaker outputs and checking if you hear audio through that with the headset? Inconvenient, but it'll help us troubleshoot the issue.

I think I've found the root problem. The sound output is actually insanely low. I've maxed my headphones volume and YouTube's and I can barely detect the sound, but it's there. For some videos the sound is at the 'normal' volume which is why I can hear it fine. The volume isn't something that will change with the slider on the videos, its like the base volume is very low. This is an example of a video that I have a sound problem with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqg7s4BKFM
#9 Posted by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -
[QUOTE="DeX2010"][QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]This is indeed one strange issue, and you just said the headset wasn't USB. Probably using front-panel 3.5mm audio jacks which your sound device passes off as a separate output audio device, I take it. Have you tried plugging the headset into the speaker outputs and checking if you hear audio through that with the headset? Inconvenient, but it'll help us troubleshoot the issue.

I think I've found the root problem. The sound output is actually insanely low. I've maxed my headphones volume and YouTube's and I can barely detect the sound, but it's there. For some videos the sound is at the 'normal' volume which is why I can hear it fine. The volume isn't something that will change with the slider on the videos, its like the base volume is very low. This is an example of a video that I have a sound problem with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqg7s4BKFM

Well that video is pretty loud for me.
#10 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="DeX2010"][QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"]This is indeed one strange issue, and you just said the headset wasn't USB. Probably using front-panel 3.5mm audio jacks which your sound device passes off as a separate output audio device, I take it. Have you tried plugging the headset into the speaker outputs and checking if you hear audio through that with the headset? Inconvenient, but it'll help us troubleshoot the issue.

Well that video is pretty loud for me.

Yeah, Its definitely a problem on my end, its not the videos themselves but something on my computer. I have no idea how this happened; it was fine a week ago. I'll use earphones in the meantime I guess.
#11 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
bump
#12 Posted by Blade8Aus (1819 posts) -

Have you tried using the integrated sound? Just for the sake of isolating the cause, that is.

**EDIT**

Then again, it'd probably be better to try a different sound driver, if possible, first. You could also try using the YouTube HTML5 trial and see if that solves anything.

#13 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -

Have you tried using the integrated sound? Just for the sake of isolating the cause, that is.

**EDIT**

Then again, it'd probably be better to try a different sound driver, if possible, first. You could also try using the YouTube HTML5 trial and see if that solves anything.

Blade8Aus
I have tried that, but it didn't work either. I may have found a possible solution but I need a tiny bit of advice since I don't know much about wire resistance or impedance. I have an Asus Xonar DG soundcard, and when I set it to 32-64 ohms headsets the volume returns to normal, but is it safe to have it at this setting since my headset (Zalman RS6F, Not the USB model) is set for 16 ohms.
#14 Posted by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blade8Aus"]

**EDIT**

DeX2010
I have tried that, but it didn't work either. I may have found a possible solution but I need a tiny bit of advice since I don't know much about wire resistance or impedance. I have an Asus Xonar DG soundcard, and when I set it to 32-64 ohms headsets the volume returns to normal, but is it safe to have it at this setting since my headset (Zalman RS6F, Not the USB model) is set for 16 ohms.

Should be fine.
#15 Posted by Dj-Dampleaf (677 posts) -
Join Youtube, there's an option for compatibility and how to set-up. Your problem is actually very common.
#16 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
Join Youtube, there's an option for compatibility and how to set-up. Your problem is actually very common.Dj-Dampleaf
Where are the compatibility settings? I can't find them.