This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

Ive read a few articles on this and im not sure is it fairly new?

wondering if anyone uses it ad is it worth setting up a rig around it?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30425 posts) -
It's not new. And yes people use it. Depends on the needs
#3 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

well my needs would be games like metro 2033 which i love, rpgs fallout, witcher and skyrim and the odd fps like BF3

i would like to have on high maybe even max settings, would SLI appeal to me.

Sorry but im kinda new to this building a pc game so just trying to sus out things

#4 Posted by GamingVengeance (1854 posts) -
it's worth it if ya can afford it
#5 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -
Which res are you playing at?
#6 Posted by LordEC911 (9972 posts) -

Read, lurk and soak up knowledge.
Anandtech, Tomshardware, Techpowerup, Legitreviews, Xbitlabs, Guru3d and bit-tech are all great sources, you can evenuse wiki.

Edit- What was wrong with your other thread?

#7 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

My rule of thumb is only do it if one single card is not good enough to do what you need. Therefor if 7970 or 680 cant do what you want and you can afford it grab a couple of them but if its a case of say 2 x 660s at 200 a piece or 1 680 at 400 i would tell you buy the 680 as in most case the overal performance will be similar or in cases when there are not the correct profiles available the 680 will win by a big margin.

Also dont bother with the idea of buying one card now and another in the future as 9/10 you will leave it too long and either you can no longer buy the card, or the card is over priced compared to the other things on the market at the time.

#8 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

I have a GTX 690 and there are some games that use it well, others just can't be helped (do to poor optimization) or they don't use it at all. So it's a mixed bag.

If your going to experiment with SLI I would suggest a low end card like the GTX 660 Ti so you don't feel bad if it isn't as good as you hoped.

#9 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

I have a GTX 690 and there are some games that use it well, others just can't be helped (do to poor optimization) or they don't use it at all. So it's a mixed bag.

If your going to experiment with SLI I would suggest a low end card like the GTX 660 Ti so you don't feel bad if it isn't as good as you hoped.

Truth_Hurts_U
What games does sli not work with the 690? I can't even really think of any modernish game that doesn't work with sli.
#10 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4028 posts) -
No it's not new. If you want to play the witcher 2 and metro 2033 then sli is worth it, it really helps.
#11 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

To be honest its what you want it to do - i can play all the games you mention on a 560ti @ 1080, on between High - Ultra settings. If you want multiple monitor support then sli may be what you are after, 1 monitor it isnt worth the money.

#12 Posted by 10knuckles01 (165 posts) -

your tellig me this card doesnt work well with some games

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1385

#13 Posted by 5SI-GonePostal (355 posts) -

your tellig me this card doesnt work well with some games

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1385

10knuckles01

This is a dual gpu card that is already in sli, but fits in a single PCIe slot - this means any issue that affect sli performance will affect this card.

Basically you only ever get one of these if space is an issue or you want to have "4 cards" in sli and only have 2 pcie slots.

#14 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

What games does sli not work with the 690? I can't even really think of any modernish game that doesn't work with sli.JigglyWiggly_

Mechwarrior online.

If it's not listed on the geforce site then it's not supported. Mechwarrior online only uses 1 GPU.

#15 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] What games does sli not work with the 690? I can't even really think of any modernish game that doesn't work with sli.Truth_Hurts_U

Mechwarrior online.

If it's not listed on the geforce site then it's not supported. Mechwarrior online only uses 1 GPU.

any good games?
#16 Posted by clyde46 (46586 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] What games does sli not work with the 690? I can't even really think of any modernish game that doesn't work with sli.Truth_Hurts_U

Mechwarrior online.

If it's not listed on the geforce site then it's not supported. Mechwarrior online only uses 1 GPU.

Its in beta...
#17 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

Its in beta...clyde46

Open beta and SLI isn't supported.

#18 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

any good games?JigglyWiggly_

Go to the geforce site... They have list of games supported for SLI.

I play Star Trek online. No SLI support listed on site... Yet it runs on both GPU's.

#19 Posted by clyde46 (46586 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"] Its in beta...Truth_Hurts_U

Open beta and SLI isn't supported.

I know that, I do play it on a regular basis. Given the current state, SLI is the last thing the devs need to be dealing with.
#20 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

I know that, I do play it on a regular basis. Given the current state, SLI is the last thing the devs need to be dealing with.clyde46

Need to fix the lag so there isn't super jenners trolling everyone.

#21 Posted by clyde46 (46586 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"] I know that, I do play it on a regular basis. Given the current state, SLI is the last thing the devs need to be dealing with.Truth_Hurts_U

Need to fix the lag so there isn't super jenners trolling everyone.

But first, bring back 8 man premades. I'm tired of playing with pea brained PUGs.
#22 Posted by James161324 (8315 posts) -

Sli is fine 80 percent of the time, it usally runs fine, and can be the best bang for the buck. Its the other 20 percent of the time where it becomes a issue. Unless your going for multi high end cards, a single highend would be the best bet, unless your on a budject.

#23 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9253 posts) -

But first, bring back 8 man premades. I'm tired of playing with pea brained PUGs.clyde46

PGI likes to lie about up coming patches. They said Phase 2 would be in on the 20th and it never happened.

#24 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

Sli is fine 80 percent of the time, it usally runs fine, and can be the best bang for the buck. Its the other 20 percent of the time where it becomes a issue. Unless your going for multi high end cards, a single highend would be the best bet, unless your on a budject.

James161324
It's fine 95% of the time.
#25 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (4028 posts) -
[QUOTE="James161324"]

Sli is fine 80 percent of the time, it usally runs fine, and can be the best bang for the buck. Its the other 20 percent of the time where it becomes a issue. Unless your going for multi high end cards, a single highend would be the best bet, unless your on a budject.

JigglyWiggly_
It's fine 95% of the time.

Especially in the good big budget games you're looking at nearly double frame rates :0)
#26 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

Hell yeah, that s*** is worth it, 2 are always better than 1 when they scale.

#27 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

I've been using 2 GTX560Tis for quite some time now and I love it. SLI makes a significant difference performance wise. There's only been like 1 or 2 games that had problems with SLI for me... namely Blacklight Retribution... With SLI i was hovering around 10-20fps, with SLI off, I was in the 80-90 range.

If you ever decide to SLI, at this day and age, I would strongly recommend SLI-ing 2 GPUs with 2GB or more VRAM. 1GB kinda pigeon-holes you. You'll have issues with games that surpass the 1GB VRAM, especially on 2560X1440 resolution. Remember that VRAM does not stack when using SLI.

#28 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] What games does sli not work with the 690? I can't even really think of any modernish game that doesn't work with sli.JigglyWiggly_

Mechwarrior online.

If it's not listed on the geforce site then it's not supported. Mechwarrior online only uses 1 GPU.

any good games?

Arma ?

#29 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Truth_Hurts_U"]

Mechwarrior online.

If it's not listed on the geforce site then it's not supported. Mechwarrior online only uses 1 GPU.

Bebi_vegeta

any good games?

Arma ?

arma works with sli or at least arma 2 does
#30 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] any good games?JigglyWiggly_

Arma ?

arma works with sli or at least arma 2 does

So I guess people telling issues about Arma 2 are lies... ok.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=arma+2+sli+not+working&oq=arma+2+sli+not+wor&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i30.712.4988.0.6345.20.14.1.5.5.2.1252.3343.5j4j2j2j7-1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.HnVNqabbS2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8689432b7f4d2e8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=1075

#31 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23604 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Arma ?

Bebi_vegeta

arma works with sli or at least arma 2 does

So I guess people telling issues about Arma 2 are lies... ok.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=arma+2+sli+not+working&oq=arma+2+sli+not+wor&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i30.712.4988.0.6345.20.14.1.5.5.2.1252.3343.5j4j2j2j7-1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.HnVNqabbS2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8689432b7f4d2e8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=1075

pretty sure it worked fine with my 460s in sli i don't have them anymore, so I can't test. on a 670 now
#32 Posted by darksusperia (6917 posts) -
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] arma works with sli or at least arma 2 doesJigglyWiggly_

So I guess people telling issues about Arma 2 are lies... ok.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=arma+2+sli+not+working&oq=arma+2+sli+not+wor&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i30.712.4988.0.6345.20.14.1.5.5.2.1252.3343.5j4j2j2j7-1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.HnVNqabbS2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8689432b7f4d2e8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=1075

pretty sure it worked fine with my 460s in sli i don't have them anymore, so I can't test. on a 670 now

S Li works fine with Arma 2, its just horribly cpu bound.
#33 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Arma ?

Bebi_vegeta

arma works with sli or at least arma 2 does

So I guess people telling issues about Arma 2 are lies... ok.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=arma+2+sli+not+working&oq=arma+2+sli+not+wor&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i30.712.4988.0.6345.20.14.1.5.5.2.1252.3343.5j4j2j2j7-1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.HnVNqabbS2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8689432b7f4d2e8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=1075

I've played Arma2 and DayZ with 2 GTX 560Tis in SLI... 0 issues.
#34 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Arma ?

Bebi_vegeta

arma works with sli or at least arma 2 does

So I guess people telling issues about Arma 2 are lies... ok.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=arma+2+sli+not+working&oq=arma+2+sli+not+wor&gs_l=hp.3.0.0i30.712.4988.0.6345.20.14.1.5.5.2.1252.3343.5j4j2j2j7-1.14.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.HnVNqabbS2c&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=b8689432b7f4d2e8&bpcl=38897761&biw=1920&bih=1075

Arma 2 is badly optimized so you need a really powerful cpu to get the game to run smooth with any strong gpu(s) and there are people who get SLI to work for it.