New Steam beta allows Tf2 items/steam game trading

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

In the newest beta, you can now trade tf2 items/steam games with each other.

Check herefor the explanation on how its done.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I was kinda flabbergasted when the Steam notification popped up announcing this. It makes some sense, but it just seems crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Looks like I'm reinstalling TF2 soon. I wonder how many sucke-, I mean people will trade the hats I have for games.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

It would be cool if they let you trade games that you've already purchased and installed. I'm sure this would be a logistical nightmare but I have some goats that I would gladly give away to somebody who might actually enjoy them (Mass Effect 2, CoD4, etc.).

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

It would be cool if they let you trade games that you've already purchased and installed. I'm sure this would be a logistical nightmare but I have some goats that I would gladly give away to somebody who might actually enjoy them (Mass Effect 2, CoD4, etc.).

-wildflower-

Those sales are already counted for so it doesn't make any sense to allow for that. Now the unboxed super rare glowing items can be profitable, as people are already paying hundreds of real dollars for these unique collectibles and Steam wants to suck this game dry of every possible penny.

It's actually ingenious how they managed to create artificial value in these meaningless reskins, some up to $1500 if I understand correctly. And now they can reap the rewards. Kind of sickening from a gamers perspective though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
say, anyone want to trade for some hats?
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

True_Sounds

Those sales are already counted for so it doesn't make any sense to allow for that. Now the unboxed super rare glowing items can be profitable, as people are already paying hundreds of real dollars for these unique collectibles and Steam wants to suck this game dry of every possible penny.

It's actually ingenious how they managed to create artificial value in these meaningless reskins, some up to $1500 if I understand correctly. And now they can reap the rewards. Kind of sickening from a gamers perspective though.

Meh from a gamers perspective I find value in monetizing games. I see no problem with it. Ofcourse within limits, if it halts progression like some MMOs then No way. but if it provides a shortcut or is just aesthetic like Diablo and TF2... I have no qualms against it.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I have some goats that I would gladly give away to somebody who might actually enjoy them (Mass Effect 2)

-wildflower-

You watch your mouth, before i rip out your tongue :|. Mass Effect is the best gaming series out.

But i would gladly take that copy off your hands.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

True_Sounds

Oh noez! Someone else is paying a lot of money for looks! If it was some sort of gameplay boast directly from the developer, yes, that is bad. But let the people with money spend hundreds on just atheistic items, if it lets us play the game for free (although I already bought TF2 several years ago),
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

True_Sounds

Those sales are already counted for so it doesn't make any sense to allow for that.

Yes, so? If I buy a book I can give it away (I'm actually reading a borrowed book now). If I buy a movie I can give it away. Heck, if I owned a console I could give those games away, too. I'm not looking for anything in return or any form of compensation. I simply would like the ability to gift a game I paid for like I can do with every other product I buy.

Like I said, logistically, it's probably a nightmare but it is something I would like to see added to Steam one day. I have a handful of fairly popular games that I simply can't stand but I'm sure somebody, somewhere, could get some enjoyment out of them. It'd be nice if I could "pay it forward," so to speak.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

-wildflower-

Those sales are already counted for so it doesn't make any sense to allow for that.

Yes, so? If I buy a book I can give it away (I'm actually reading a borrowed book now). If I buy a movie I can give it away. Heck, if I owned a console I could give those games away, too. I'm not looking for anything in return or any form of compensation. I simply would like the ability to gift a game I paid for like I can do with every other product I buy.

Like I said, logistically, it's probably a nightmare but it is something I would like to see added to Steam one day. I have a handful of fairly popular games that I simply can't stand but I'm sure somebody, somewhere, could get some enjoyment out of them. It'd be nice if I could "pay it forward," so to speak.

LOL, the point of tying it to your account is to prevent resales. Ofcourse you can give a book away. Don't you think Chapters would prefer if they could force everyone to buy books new from them? And console games are going to be tied to accounts in the near future, it's the obvious next step. They are already going in that direction with the online passes, but I can guarantee with the next 10 years they won't be able to be shared at all.

By steam doing this is TF2, they are trying to cut out alternative markets. What you are suggesting would create a brand new resellers market that many people would use to trade games. Then Steam would turn into a pseudo game exchange software through unofficial websites, and they would lose a hell of a lot of $$$. Then all of management responsible would probably get fired. Get it?

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

Grodus5

Oh noez! Someone else is paying a lot of money for looks! If it was some sort of gameplay boast directly from the developer, yes, that is bad. But let the people with money spend hundreds on just atheistic items, if it lets us play the game for free (although I already bought TF2 several years ago),

Oh let me assure you, they are making WAY more money than they did when they sold this game. I'm more worried of future bastardization of their games then of the direct effects of TF2 which is not too disruptive.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

True_Sounds

LOL, the point of tying it to your account is to prevent resales. Ofcourse you can give a book away. Don't you think Chapters would prefer if they could force everyone to buy books new from them? And console games are going to be tied to accounts in the near future, it's the obvious next step. They are already going in that direction with the online passes, but I can guarantee with the next 10 years they won't be able to be shared at all.

By steam doing this is TF2, they are trying to cut out alternative markets. What you are suggesting would create a brand new resellers market that many people would use to trade games. Then Steam would turn into a pseudo game exchange software through unofficial websites, and they would lose a hell of a lot of $$$. Then all of management responsible would probably get fired. Get it?

A simple solution would be to have it a one time deal. If you buy a game you can give it away once and that's it. The person who receives it can't trade it or give it away either (only the original purchaser would have this one time "privilege" ).

I just don't understand why gamers put up with so much crap that's not a part of any other industry. Off the top of my head, other than prescription drugs, I can't think of another product that I can't legally give away or re-sell. What makes software so special?

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

There is no way Valve will let you trade a game you already own and have played. The entire premise of Steam is to kill 2nd hand sales.

End of.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 True_Sounds

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

-wildflower-

A simple solution would be to have it a one time deal. If you buy a game you can give it away once and that's it. The person who receives it can't trade it or give it away either (only the original purchaser would have this one time "privilege" ).

I just don't understand why gamers put up with so much crap that's not a part of any other industry. Off the top of my head, other than prescription drugs, I can't think of another product that I can't legally give away or re-sell. What makes software so special?

Don't buy games from steam? I mean, that's what I do if I can help it. I also know a couple of my friends steam logins, and they know mine. So we get to play twice the games at half the cost. I agree with your thinking, but it's not something Steam would even consider doing, because it would be a step backwards in their war for pc $$$ domination.

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

I dont give a damn about TF2 Items (although I still think its an excellent game), but this is exciting for providing a safe trading setup for people who might want to trade extra copies of games they have (assuming this is how its supposed to work).

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I dont give a damn about TF2 Items (although I still think its an excellent game), but this is exciting for providing a safe trading setup for people who might want to trade extra copies of games they have (assuming this is how its supposed to work).

mkaliaz
Absolutely nothing changed, nothing is safer, they just implemented a direct backpack link on the Steam client, hopefully they'll implement all their other games, then it will be something worth mentioning, Portal 2 for example is a must, it works in the exact way TF 2 does.
Medevila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Medevila
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

No it wouldn't, because then you'd have "game chains" where you pass on the game for free/very little money, which also cuts profits.

Even if Valve decided to allow all of this, other publishers that use their service might not.