New PC gamer here! Excited and confused. Need advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pddrumheller
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello long time forum members and PC gamers and enthusiasts!

I'm fairly new to this forum and brand new to PC gaming. In short I have seen the light lol.

For the past week I have been learning about PC gaming and it's benefits. Which the main point is better graphics and FPS. Games themselves are cheaper to purchase. Upkeep on components for gaming PC's is more costly than consoles unless consoles die on you a lot and some have unless you get them repaired. Please correct me if I am wrong on anything.

I have learned a little of everything. CPU (processor), GPU (graphics cards), motherboards (brain), PSU (power supply), cases or chassis of PC components, Fans, cooling, heatsinks, liquid cooling (want to know more)

I've learned the PSU is better placed at the bottom, above that the GPU, above that and to the side the motherboard and CPU, HDD and Disc drives front end of the chassis. I know there is liquid cooling available for the CPU but have learned that additional liquid cooling is available for the other components. High-end GPU's come with their own fans, as well as CPU's unless you use after market items. I realize that all these things can be modded, placed differently with custom chassis. I learned more about proper airflow. It should intake from the front and bottom while exiting through the top and back. This makes sense as heat rises. It's good to have a chassis with filters on intake airflow to eliminate dust and particle buildup inside the case. I've watched videos on youtube and newegg on installing. High points are clean static free surface wood etc. Keeping yourself statically discharged. You will only need a screwdriver for most installations. After only a little learning I have decided that I want to built the computer myself as I know I will save money and I'm intelligent enough to learn how but need help to speed up the process. Also I understand that people call it their gaming rig. Again if I don't have correct info tell me or if you have more to add do that also.

I want to start buy saying I want to use high-end three main components in building a rig. They are:

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-4771 Haswell 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600 BX80646I74771

ASUS GTXTITANBLACK-6GD5 GeForce GTX TITAN BLACK 6GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I pretty much just checked what the top main three components that are out and pasted them here. If these won't work together tell me but if these sound good this is what I'm going with.

My wallet is not so deep that I want to spend 5 grand on the total rig. I'm shooting for the 3 grand area.

I want to build a computer that is powerful but sleek and cool looking as well. I don't want to use multiple video cards which I read is an SLI configuration. I'm going to be using a Large TV for this rig and I'm not going to game on multiple monitors. It just seems weird to me. I can see how it could be useful. Main screen has the game. The map of the world on another screen or extra stuff. Just one HDTV.

I wanted to use good components as I want 1080p at 60fps to last me a good while without turning graphic settings down in the future. I realize that the benchmarks for the titan black are at higher resolutions for 60fps on alot of games but has I don't care for res higher than 1080p the 60fps at 1080p will last longer until fps drops significantly in the future say 2 or 3 three years than I would replace the GPU

If this isn't right or wrong logic tell me.

This is mostly what I know so far. What I don't know a lot about is cooling. I know about air flow but installing the cooling gets me lost. Would these components need to be liquid cooled for long gaming sessions. I'm not concerned about overclocking because I want the components to last longer and I want to be able to sell the component/s when I upgrade stating that they weren't overclocked and taken care of so I can get more resale value from the components.

Also how do you properly select liquid cooling for these components? How do you control how much it's cooling? what is optimal temperature for the components. Is there software that regulates how much it's cooled? I don't want to freeze the computer. I want safe, quality materials. I've read about different cooling solutions and tubing or different tubing materials like copper etc. I don't like the sound of plastic tubing. It seems cheap to me. Since I don't want to overclock do I even need tubing? Kind of PSU would these components need? I'm also looking to get a WD VelociRaptor HDD or 2TB of some sort and a SSD for bootup purposes. If I'm spending to much for 1080p 60fps that's ok as it will last. If not tell me. Am I going about this the wrong way. As a first time pc gamer I want my first experience to be memorable and blow the consoles out of the water as for now on I will only use consoles for games that are exclusive to them. I will use PC for everything else.

Again I have no idea on what PSU to get or what case and or if needed liquid cooling set up to use. Think of me as JarJar Binks when it comes to my knowledge of custom gaming rigs. I'm not interested in crazy mods as I'm looking for efficient and long lasting.

Thanks for your help!

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By pddrumheller

Also what game should I play first for my PC experience? I'm leaning towards Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 but leave your suggestions. Also if this is in the wrong section I apologize.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

If you're going to stick at 1080 then the Titan black is not necessary. GTX 780, 780Ti, R9 290, 290X is all you need, then get another at a later date if you want.

The CPU you've chosen is a different socket to the motherboard. You need a 1150 socket MB for that CPU or a 2011 socket CPU for that MB.

That motherboard is really overkill unless you're deeply into OC'ing.

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pddrumheller

@acanofcoke: Thanks. It seems like the GTX 780Ti will work nicely and save me a few coin. I can use the extra money for a new keyboard and mouse. I'll keep the CPU if that's a good one. I've heard some games are CPU intensive and just want to get a good one.

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pddrumheller

1080p on a large screen is still good to me. I've seen 4K on large screens and they are nice but won't get one until they are cheaper. Though I understand monitors are different somehow but I like gaming on large screens, not small moniters Resolution is not what I'm after for PC gaming anyway. It's the textures that hi-end video cards can produce. Though resolution is still important. My TV is a Sony 55" W900A. I like it for it's low input lag. Another reason why I won't get a 4K tv yet is input lag. The other big reason for PC gaming is mods. Mods for games.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2XSnH BAM! saved you lots of money.

No need going with extreme high end MOBO since you only want 1 GPU.

No need going with Titan since you'll save lots of money getting GTX780 and those 200$ extra on the Ti version is not worth it.

No need going with i7 since the i5 - 4670K version is all that you need for gaming.

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pddrumheller

@PredatorRules: I'm assuming MOBO is the Motherboard. I have heard that Asus makes the best motherboards and wanted to go with them unless I'm wrong. That makes sense on not going with a higher-end motherboard that's meant for SLI. Since I have no plans of going SLI...at least I think I don't lol...SLI is only good for multiple screens right? Why is the Ti version not worth it? I actually want the i7 since because it's not just gaming that's important it's everything else. Why is the i5 all I need? What about games that are CPU intensive? I don't mind saving money for getting the components I need to do what I want, but I also want the best quality components available and will gladly pay more for it.

For some reason I can't post anymore so I'm editing this. I have no interest in that Asus monitor mentioned at CES that's coming out. I think it's way over priced. Yes it's 4K or close or whatever but why not watch 4K on something bigger and worth-it...like a 50" screen.

your right adamosmaki about 3k but I'm looking for quality parts and some flair. Plus I wanted to get a better processor CPU for music and editing. I'd like to do some recording with it as well.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Mate for 3K you can build a nuclear reactor. Nowdays $1200-1500 can get a top of the line or close to top of the line Pc

Here is what to look for

CPU - Core i5 4670K . When comes to gaming on equal ground to the much more expensive i7's . Of course the i7 might be a bit more future proof and will help you if you do video or photo editing/encoding ( not that i5 are bad at that is just you will be better with i7 )

Mobo. Just look for a Z87 mobo from Asus/Msi/Gigabyte in the $120-150 price range. No need to get an expensive mobos unless you are gonna use 3 or 4 gpus

GPU- Dont get TITAN. They are overpriced and consume alot of power. Geforce gtx780ti is where is at if you want top performance ( again though overpriced since you will only get 10-20% more performance for $200-250 more over the previous best Gpu ) or you can settle a bit below that and still be within 80-85% of a 780ti performance by getting either a Gtx780 ( the non Ti ) or an AMD r290 ( if you can find one on reasonable price since their prices are inflated nowdays at least in north America )

Liquid cooling. Honestly you dont need it unless you are into extreme overclocking. With a good case with good ventilation and a good air aftermarket cooler ( like coolermaster hyper 212+ ) not only it will keep your components cool but you can even overclock by a good amount as well

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Pcpartpicker.com Your best friend when building a computer from parts. Gives you prices of all major online retail sites, as well as all specs for literally just about every part available. It lets you choose parts that only work together so it makes it super easy.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

Id recommend getting a 750ti/760/770... for now and waiting for maxwell (supposed to have twice the performance than current gpus) there arent any games besides crysis3 that need anything better than a 770 (@1080p)... I have a 770 and plan on getting a 870/880 when they release later on this yr

DarkblueNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkblueNinja
Member since 2009 • 1016 Posts

For cooling just get the AIO CPU cooling. Swiftech should release a new and good CPU AIO cooling next month or so. For GPU then just get the afteremaked cool (if you don't get the Black Titan GPU) something like Nvidia Asus DirectCU II cause most of them is very silent.

Save your money and get the Asus 1444p and 120hz. It may release next month or so.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1455299/asus-update-27-1440p-gsync-120hz-rog-monitor-at-ces

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Go for the 4770k and 780 Ti. Should last you a while.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

If gaming is the heaviest workload for that computer then I suggest either the i5 4670K or i7 4770K CPU. Along with a 1150socket, Z87 mobo. GTX 780Ti is more than powerful enough for 1080P 60FPS at ultra. And you can always get two of them.

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pddrumheller

Looking through PCpartpicker I configured an Asus Deluxe/Quad Z87 mobo with the i7 4770k and gtx780ti. I've learned that intel's high-end CPUs aren't out for Haswell yet are only the Ivy and sandy and they are only for Z79 mobo's...is that right? I want to do a lot with video and music editing and creation so should I get the Z87 and wait or go Z79? Just trying to pick the best mobo and cpu config.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@pddrumheller said:

Looking through PCpartpicker I configured an Asus Deluxe/Quad Z87 mobo with the i7 4770k and gtx780ti. I've learned that intel's high-end CPUs aren't out for Haswell yet are only the Ivy and sandy and they are only for Z79 mobo's...is that right? I want to do a lot with video and music editing and creation so should I get the Z87 and wait or go Z79? Just trying to pick the best mobo and cpu config.

You want Z87!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@pddrumheller said:

That changes things, you want Titan as GPU and some i7/Xeon CPU

pddrumheller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pddrumheller

Thanks everyone. Z87 Asus. I'll get a decent CPU now and upgrade later when the hi-end haswell comes out and a titan. Or I could wait until the new GPU's come out and just do it then.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

X79 platform is also a few years old, a lot has happened since it arrived. Haswell-E will be on X99 or something like that I've heard.