New PC building ideas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Hi guys, I used to strictly be a PC gamer back in 2004. I haven't built a new computer since those days lol. Played on the 360 primarily throughout college. Basically, I want to get back into PC gaming as my main machine, & keep my PS4/PS3 secondary for exclusives.

Basically, I have $1200 budget I'm willing to spend this week on everything ( case, CPU, GPU, RAM, CD/DVD ROM, HDD, Fans, etc). But, I'm having trouble remembering all the specification meanings (numbers, letters, etc). It's really confusing me lol. A lot has changed since 2004 :P.

I want something future proof for a while, mainly the processor specifically. I can upgrade the GPU within 3 years if needed. I really want to run most games on Very High-Ultra (Watch Dogs, Titanfall, Skyrim, etc.)

I've had my eye on the AMD Radeon R9 280x tonight, I just can't decide what processor would last at least 6 years though.

Basically, I want a system that blows the PS4 & Xbone out of the water.

Sorry for all the text :P.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

CPU - i5-4670K or i5-3570k

GPU - GTX 770

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 remiks00

@insane_metalist: Thanks for the fast input! I'm curious, I noticed in your sig you use an AMD FX-8120. Are the new AMD processors not as good as an i5?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 insane_metalist

@remiks00 said:

@insane_metalist: Thanks for the fast input! I'm curious, I noticed in your sig you use an AMD FX-8120. Are the new AMD processors not as good as an i5?

I was somewhat on a budget build, I didn't quiet have enough for a good intel CPU. So I went with FX-8120 which is an 8 core and it's unlocked so it's great for overclocking. If I had couple extra bucks, I'd get an i5 but I didn't at the time.. i5s are just the best for a gaming rig. Intel CPUs have always been better then AMD CPUs. Although I am very happy with my current CPU, it turned out to be quiet a monster. My next CPU is gonna be an i5 without a doubt.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@insane_metalist said:

@remiks00 said:

. Intel CPUs have always been better then AMD CPUs.

That is false, AMD matched and surpassed intel from Athlon XP's to Athlon 64's to Athlon 64 X2's until intel came out with the Core Duo series and bought all cpu tech patents preventing AMD to advance as they should have until 2010. That tactic screwed AMD, and intel's back stabbing deals with OEM companies where they got caught and were fined nearly 2 billion all over the world. That is why AMD went and bought out ATI and started focusing on gpu's and APU's since intel basically has a monopoly on the dedicated cpu market.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By insane_metalist

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@remiks00 said:

That is false, AMD matched and surpassed intel from Athlon XP's to Athlon 64's to Athlon 64 X2's until intel came out with the Core Duo series and bought all cpu tech patents preventing AMD to advance as they should have until 2010. That tactic screwed AMD, and intel's back stabbing deals with OEM companies where they got caught and were fined nearly 2 billion all over the world. That is why AMD went and bought out ATI and started focusing on gpu's and APU's since intel basically has a monopoly on the dedicated cpu market.

I used to game on concoles but always wanted to build my own build. Since the days, I built my own rig Intel has been better. So excuse my faulty info. But like I said, I love my AMD CPU and the price was just right! Not everyone has $200-$240 to blow on CPU alone. I saved more money towards a GPU.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04dcarraher

@insane_metalist said:

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@remiks00 said:

I used to game on concoles but always wanted to build my own build. Since the days, I built my own rig Intel has been better. So excuse my faulty info. But like I said, I love my AMD CPU and the price was just right! Not everyone has $200-$240 to blow on CPU alone. I saved more money towards a GPU.

You learn something new everyday. On a fixed budget you should always focus on gpu more then cpu anyways, but not too low. AMD's best budget cpu right now is the FX 6300, and with new games that make use of more then four threads like BF4 perform well enough to give intel's quads a run for their money for half the cost.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 insane_metalist

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@04dcarraher said:

@insane_metalist said:

@remiks00 said:

You learn something new everyday. On a fixed budget you should always focus on gpu more then cpu anyways, but not too low. AMD's best budget cpu right now is the FX 6300, and with new games that make use of more then four threads like BF4 perform well enough to give intel's quads a run for their money for half the cost.

I actually noticed that. Also, FX-4300 is on that FX-6300 level. I was pretty surprised! It looks like, AMD is stepping up their game. Although it's worth to get FX-6300 since, it's only $10 more. Actually on newegg as of right now with a promo code ($10 off) you can get FX-6300 for $110 (same price as 4300).

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher

But as for the TC's question if you want a cpu that will last six years.... Its not going to happen if you game or do cpu demanding workloads. You can only aim a couple years for semi future proofing. Your best bet would be an i7 based cpu like the 4770k or at minimum i5 4670k. As for a gpu you want a GTX 780 or R 290, dont even bother looking at anything under those when you have a 1.2k budget.

But also you dont need much to blow these new consoles out of the water. These consoles are only using a laptop/tablet based 8 core jagaur cpu(only 6 cores are for games) that are 1.6 &1.7 ghz and are only using gpu's that are upto 7850 performance levels. which means a 7970 and GTX 670 are 2x faster or higher.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By remiks00

@04dcarraher said:

But as for the TC's question if you want a cpu that will last six years.... Its not going to happen if you game or do cpu demanding workloads. You can only aim a couple years for semi future proofing. Your best bet would be an i7 based cpu like the 4770k or at minimum i5 4670k. As for a gpu you want a GTX 780 or R 290, dont even bother looking at anything under those when you have a 1.2k budget.

But also you dont need much to blow these new consoles out of the water. These consoles are only using a laptop/tablet based 8 core jagaur cpu(only 6 cores are for games) that are 1.6 &1.7 ghz and are only using gpu's that are upto 7850 performance levels. which means a 7970 and GTX 670 are 2x faster or higher.

Ah, okay, thanks for enlightening me. I guess I should focus more on the actual "socket" version still being used in the future. Just looking for a really good processor socket that will still be used for when the next upgrade comes along.

Also, I don't know why, but I'm slightly more interested in the AMD processors than the i5's & i7's. Does AMD offer any that are better or have the same performance as Intel's? or am I wasting my time? lol. I'm also interested in "Mantle" tech, So I may go with the R9 290.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. I'm also going to look at more benchmarks and things of that sort.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Only reason why I say don't go with an r9 290 right now is that they were inflated in price due to a lite coin surge. You would be over paying by 130$ at least.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2x6FZ

I hope you like it =)

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By remiks00

@PredatorRules said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2x6FZ

I hope you like it =)

i Like it very much, thank you! I will do more research before I pull the trigger.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

@PredatorRules: Only thing I don't like is a budget PSU for a top end GPU.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

It is enough, he could go with 600-650

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By insane_metalist

If you really want an AMD CPU, take a look at FX-8320 and FX-8350. Both are 8 core monsters. They would last you for a long time! Plus, they're unlocked so you can overclock em as much as you want. You can easily overclock 8350 to 5.0 GHz. I've been hearing nothing but good about 8320 & 8350. (If you don't know much about OC, I'm gonna tell you right now. These CPUs are very easy to OC). If you do get one of these FXs then, get an Asus mobo, works the best with em.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 04dcarraher
@remiks00 said:

@04dcarraher said:

Ah, okay, thanks for enlightening me. I guess I should focus more on the actual "socket" version still being used in the future. Just looking for a really good processor socket that will still be used for when the next upgrade comes along.

Also, I don't know why, but I'm slightly more interested in the AMD processors than the i5's & i7's. Does AMD offer any that are better or have the same performance as Intel's? or am I wasting my time? lol. I'm also interested in "Mantle" tech, So I may go with the R9 290.

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate all the info you guys are giving me. I'm also going to look at more benchmarks and things of that sort.

Dont focus on the socket's because there is a new type every other year on average.

Now only reason to go AMD anymore is if your on a tight budget. While AMD's six cored and eight cored cpu's can be on par or surpass intel's quad core offerings(stock vs stock). The results are specific and not all the time(games and apps have to utilize more then four threads), Intel's cpu's are clock per clock core vs core are much faster then AMD's. And if the games or apps only use 1-4 cores intel will outclass those 6/8 core cpu's. Also dont be sold on the AMD Mantle PR, Mantle has to written into the game's code before you see any improvements and most games wont be supporting it, also the numbers being claimed by AMD for mantle are bias and most likely no where near what they claim. A GTX 780 or R290 are good options. You can pick up a overclocked gigabyte GTX 780 for only $500.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 remiks00

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the info.

What does the amount of vram on the GPU mean? such as the link you just provided. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471

" GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W "

what is the advantage of having higher ram on the card? I've read online that it only matters if you're going dual monitors? That can't be right.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GeryGo  Moderator

@remiks00 said:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the info.

What does the amount of vram on the GPU mean? such as the link you just provided. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125471

" GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready WindForce 3X 450W "

what is the advantage of having higher ram on the card? I've read online that it only matters if you're going dual monitors? That can't be right.

Going for high amount of Vram means you aim for more than one screen means bigger resolutions or going for 2.5k or 4k screens.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Hello.

I was just passing by and noticed your post. I am usually trolling at Tom's Hardware for this kind of posting but since I am here I might help a bit.

Since you didn't say anything about OS or keyboard/mouse this is a nice $1200 which is pretty overkilling any console.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($545.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1212.99

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-23 20:07 EST-0500)

:)

Edit: The GTX780 that I added is not the simple Gigabyte GTX780 but the GHZ edition of Gigabyte which is the best GTX780 around with incredible numbers.

You can get the idea from http://www.techspot.com/review/738-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-ghz/

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insane_metalist

@Coseniath said:

Hello.

I was just passing by and noticed your post. I am usually trolling at Tom's Hardware for this kind of posting but since I am here I might help a bit.

Since you didn't say anything about OS or keyboard/mouse this is a nice $1200 which is pretty overkilling any console.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Gtee/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($545.91 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Microcenter)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.99 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1212.99

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-23 20:07 EST-0500)

:)

Edit: The GTX780 that I added is not the simple Gigabyte GTX780 but the GHZ edition of Gigabyte which is the best GTX780 around with incredible numbers.

You can get the idea from http://www.techspot.com/review/738-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-ghz/

This topic is over 2 weeks old.. If you took a minute to notice his sig, he already built his build. Stop bumping up old topics.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@insane_metalist: Well it was late when I saw it, so I didn't noticed that it was 2 weeks old.

And I am not very familiar with gamespot forums after the new site change. (although I was participate in beta).

My bad, sorry.

Also, as you saw I didn't bump anything on purpose. I suggest you do the same.

Also it would be nice not to quote large posts. It will make a large chain of unnecessary space taken.

Thanks for your concern and lets keep a good image for gamespot forums.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 insane_metalist

@Coseniath said:

@insane_metalist: Well it was late when I saw it, so I didn't noticed that it was 2 weeks old.

And I am not very familiar with gamespot forums after the new site change. (although I was participate in beta).

My bad, sorry.

Also, as you saw I didn't bump anything on purpose. I suggest you do the same.

Also it would be nice not to quote large posts. It will make a large chain of unnecessary space taken.

Thanks for your concern and lets keep a good image for gamespot forums.

You don't have to apologize to me, mang. GS was so much better before the change...