New gaming setup. I really need some help!

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DIV1D3
Member since 2013 • 139 Posts

Hi, I just wanted to get some help on choosing the parts that I will use in my new gaming PC. Just want to first of all know that I live in Australia and I have tried to piece together this build for the past two months. I have already chosen to use an R9 290 (I'm waiting till third party cooling) and an Intel Core i7 4770K. I have considered using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for my CPU cooler and possibly the MSI Z87-G45 for the motherboard (though something cheaper would be nice). For storage I’m sold on a WD Black 1TB and possibly a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB or a Corsair Force GT 120GB.

I’m trying to get a future-proof and aerated build as possible and I have considered a Phantom 820 though it is fairly huge. The cheapest DDR3 2x4GB RAM will do and the same with the optical drive. I do not know how many watts will do for the PSU but I do plan on adding more RAM, another R9 290 (hopefully a lot later on) and maybe another storage device all without changing PSU. Please keep in mind that I would prefer a modular PSU. If you see anything here that I am planning to buy and you disagree with it could you please give me an alternative that you recommend. If you can find a good IPS gaming monitor that is below $200 or even $150 than that would be great. Also what keyboard would you recommend.

I’m limited on a $1500 budget for my tower and $2000 for the whole setup. I hope to get as much reliability, future-proofing and performance (as much as possible for all). I’m just trying to get some help for my new build seeing as it is my first time and I’ve only ever had a laptop. I hope I’m not asking too much from you (I probably shouldn’t be asking at all) and if you do help I do appreciate it very, very much.

Cheers!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@DIV1D3: You can buy a R9 290 but your limiting yourself $200 for an IPS monitor? Umm good luck finding a decent monitor for that cheap, its not happening.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@DIV1D3: You can buy a R9 290 but your limiting yourself $200 for an IPS monitor? Umm good luck finding a decent monitor for that cheap, its not happening.

Word. You should be getting like...a $500 monitor at least to make that set up worthwhile. What's the point in having good graphics if you have to see it them on a not-so-good screen?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

2x 290? 750Watt for that setup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

good gaming monitor I recommend : http://www.amazon.com/VN247H-P-24-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00AVYNS7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386486148&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+VN247H

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12

@KHAndAnime said:

@GTR12 said:

Word. You should be getting like...a $500 monitor at least to make that set up worthwhile. What's the point in having good graphics if you have to see it them on a not-so-good screen?

Even $500 I would consider borderline, it only gets us Aussies a Dell U2311 as an example. I would go up to $700 and get a 24" 1080p/1200p or if your really lucky a 27" 1440p and keep the monitor for ages.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DIV1D3

@GTR12: @KHAndAnime: @GTR12: It will just be temporary. I'm planning on eventually getting a 4K monitor or a 1440p monitor but for now I would just like an affordable gaming monitor. $700 is a bit to rich for me atm.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@GTR12 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@GTR12 said:

Even $500 I would consider borderline, it only gets us Aussies a Dell U2311 as an example. I would go up to $700 and get a 24" 1080p/1200p or if your really lucky a 27" 1440p and keep the monitor for ages.

My U2412M was only $300, a very decent 1200P monitor (particularly great for a non-professional like myself).

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DIV1D3

@PredatorRules said:

2x 290? 750Watt for that setup. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

good gaming monitor I recommend : http://www.amazon.com/VN247H-P-24-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00AVYNS7M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386486148&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+VN247H

Yes, thank you, I would like something of the sort. I may actually consider getting that if I can't get a better one.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GTR12

@DIV1D3 said:

It will just be temporary. I'm planning on eventually getting a 4K monitor or a 1440p monitor but for now I would just like an affordable gaming monitor. $700 is a bit to rich for me atm.

$200 isn't worth finding a IPS, the image quality will be worse than a TN.

@KHAndAnime said:

My U2412M was only $300, a very decent 1200P monitor (particularly great for a non-professional like myself).

A Dell sale or something lol?

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DIV1D3

@GTR12 said:

@DIV1D3 said:

It will just be temporary. I'm planning on eventually getting a 4K monitor or a 1440p monitor but for now I would just like an affordable gaming monitor. $700 is a bit to rich for me atm.

$200 isn't worth finding a IPS, the image quality will be worse than a TN.

@KHAndAnime said:

A Dell sale or something lol?

I just found one at Mwave for $319.00. Anyways I get it, I'll get a better monitor. Just could you please help me out and step over this monitor criticism.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DIV1D3

Actually come to think about it I don't think $2000 will be enough for the whole setup. Maybe $1750 for the tower and $2500-$2750 for the setup.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Intels really don't need an aftermarket sink. They run pretty cool and quiet stock. A friend of mine has an i5 and he's overclocking it pretty madly, never had cooling or noise problems (stock). But if you were to get an AMD, you'd for sure want an aftermarket sink. My stock one sounded like a chainsaw when I launched games.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DIV1D3

@insane_metalist said:

Intels really don't need an aftermarket sink. They run pretty cool and quiet stock. A friend of mine has an i5 and he's overclocking it pretty madly, never had cooling or noise (stock). But if you were to get an AMD, you'd for sure want an aftermarket sink. My stock one sounded like a chainsaw when I launched games.

Of course I'm going to get third party cooling for the R9 290 but also the i7 4770K will produce a LOT of heat. I'm sure that having a CPU cooler will be smarter than not having one, and for $30-$40 I'm no too worried about price.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GTR12

@DIV1D3: Criticising lol? There's nothing to help you with, you chose all the right parts and have a great rig if that's what your getting. The only problem or criticism is the monitor, which we are discussing.

Anyway for $200, this is what I'd get.

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/benq-rl2455hm-24-1ms-hdmi-full-hd-led-gaming-monitor-with-speaker-ab52358

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DIV1D3

@GTR12 said:

@DIV1D3: Criticising lol? There's nothing to help you with, you chose all the right parts and have a great rig if that's what your getting. The only problem or criticism is the monitor, which we are discussing.

That's what I'm saying. The monitor criticism. Thanks btw. Also I need help with the RAM, keyboard and mobo, and if you can find a better case for what I need that would be appreciated (something smaller than the Phantom 820).

Just could you please help me out and step over this monitor criticism.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTR12

@DIV1D3: That BenQ

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DIV1D3

@PredatorRules: @KHAndAnime: @GTR12: Actually I'm being a little too uptight with the monitor. Could you recommend a good monitor for an R9 290 (keep in mind that I might want to have a dual monitor setup later on, possibly)?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 insane_metalist

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

Intels really don't need an aftermarket sink. They run pretty cool and quiet stock. A friend of mine has an i5 and he's overclocking it pretty madly, never had cooling or noise (stock). But if you were to get an AMD, you'd for sure want an aftermarket sink. My stock one sounded like a chainsaw when I launched games.

Of course I'm going to get third party cooling for the R9 290 but also the i7 4770K will produce a LOT of heat. I'm sure that having a CPU cooler will be smarter than not having one, and for $30-$40 I'm no too worried about price.

I'm talking about CPU cooler, you really don't need it. Intels have pretty good stock ones, an aftermarket one would probably just look prettier, wouldn't keep that MUCH cooler. But if you're gonna get one then THIS or THIS would be a pretty good choice!

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DIV1D3

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

I'm talking about CPU cooler, you really don't need it. Intels have pretty good stock ones, an aftermarket one would probably just look prettier, wouldn't keep that MUCH cooler. But if you're gonna get one then THIS or THIS would be a pretty good choice!

Thanks, but umm, what? I would like something that looks appealing too lol. I was thinking about a CM Hyper 212 EVO or Enermax ETS-T40-TB.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 insane_metalist

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

Thanks, but umm, what? I would like something that looks appealing too lol. I was thinking about a CM Hyper 212 EVO or Enermax ETS-T40-TB.

Those aren't appealing...? In my opinion, they are sexy! also nice and quiet and are very nice on specs overall. But hey it's your setup.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DIV1D3

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

Those aren't appealing...? In my opinion, they are sexy! also nice and quiet and are very nice on specs overall. But hey it's your setup.

To me they don't look appealing, just my opinion, and also I live in Australia so Newegg isn't very helpful as they don't ship here and having another shipping company involved is just too much drama for me.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

I'd swap that WD 1Tb for a Seagate Barracuda- ST1000DM003

Seems like WD is still producing a lot more DOAs. I saw page after page of bad product reviews on Newegg 4 months ago. I assume they're still sending out some poorer batches because things haven't changed much ever since I switched mine out for the Seagate.

The Seagate is nearly 50% faster (~170mbs vs ~120) and it won't bottleneck your SSD as much. It's also $30 USD cheaper, but I don't know how that translates to AUD. Could be more, could be less.

You do forfeit WD's 5 year warranty since Seagate's is only 2. But there might be some extended warranty options you could buy into and still come out cheaper & much faster.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DIV1D3

What I really want to get sorted out now is the RAM, monitor, case, keyboard and CPU cooler. The optic drive to me is not important atm.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DIV1D3

@HavocV3 said:

I'd swap that WD 1Tb for a Seagate Barracuda- ST1000DM003

Seems like WD is still producing a lot more DOAs. I saw page after page of bad product reviews on Newegg 4 months ago. I assume they're still sending out some poorer batches because things haven't changed much ever since I switched mine out for the Seagate.

The Seagate is nearly 50% faster (~170mbs vs ~120) and it won't bottleneck your SSD as much. It's also $30 USD cheaper, but I don't know how that translates to AUD. Could be more, could be less.

You do forfeit WD's 5 year warranty since Seagate's is only 2. But there might be some extended warranty options you could buy into and still come out cheaper & much faster.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By insane_metalist

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

@DIV1D3 said:

@insane_metalist said:

To me they don't look appealing, just my opinion, and also I live in Australia so Newegg isn't very helpful as they don't ship here and having another shipping company involved is just too much drama for me.

Well since you like something more simple, this is the one I have on my CPU. I've never had one problem with it, it's pretty silent and keeps my CPU pretty cool, I'd recommend it. Also if you go with this one, you can mount another fan on the other side and you can pick any custom/glowing fans for it.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DIV1D3

@insane_metalist: Thanks, but I would like to know how it compares to other CPU coolers. Like which has the lower temperature for the CPU. Lol, also disregard my comment about dual monitors, I don't think I'll have enough room for a 24" monitor let alone two of them.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GTR12

@DIV1D3 said:

What I really want to get sorted out now is the RAM, monitor, case, keyboard and CPU cooler. The optic drive to me is not important atm.

RAM, get the HyperX Blue, its cheap in Aus and OC's well.

Case, Up to you really, people like aesthetics, looks, airflow. I prefer simple, quiet cases. We need a few options from you or what you "like" in cases.

Keyboard, Up to you.

CPU cooler, Hyper 212 Evo as a first AM cooler is great.

Monitor, Price range and preferred size?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@DIV1D3 said:

. Lol, also disregard my comment about dual monitors, I don't think I'll have enough room for a 24" monitor let alone two of them.

You can hang a 27-30' monitor on your wall

I was going to recommend this http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/VN247H/ it got super narrow bezel (less the 1cm)

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LN1JEC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Out of stock but it's a very good panel. I am sure you can find it on newegg or somewhere else, it has less than 4ms of input lag and it's ips.

I prefer 24in monitors and I've read very good things about it. I don't own it because I use a vg248qe

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DIV1D3

@GTR12 said:

Case, Up to you really, people like aesthetics, looks, airflow. I prefer simple, quiet cases. We need a few options from you or what you "like" in cases.

I would like a case that has fan controls with at least three stock fans (min 120mm), lots of space (maybe not Phantom 820 big, but large enough for big GPUs. Expansion slots I'm not too worried about, however the look of the case to me is as important as the fan controls and space. Possibly just two, maybe four, USB 2.0s and two USB 3.0s with the usual microphone and earphone jacks. LEDs would be a nice touch as well as an elevated tower with a few dust filters. I just want to get a very nice case such as the Phantom 820 but for a little less premium. I would prefer something that isn't as heavy as a mining truck, except if it is an ultra tower. Anything over $250 is out of the question and if it hasn't got enough airflow or space than it's out of the question as well. I just want a really rounded, nice looking, large case with fan controls, LEDs and possibly a brightness and hue changer. If I can get something of the sort at around $150 than I'll be super happy (if not than I think I'll just get the Phantom 820 for a cringing $250).

@GTR12 said:

Keyboard, Up to you.

All I'm looking for is something that has good reliability, LEDs, again lol, a USB port or two to plug in my mouse at a modest $50-$100. I do not care for macro keys or even a num pad. Also I'm an FPS player so possibly Cherry MX Brown, Black or Blue (idk what I like cause I haven't gotten one yet, which ever one is the supposed best for FPSs).

@GTR12 said:

Monitor, Price range and preferred size?

A 24" monitor on a $300-$500 price range. I would prefer a 1440p or 1080p on 120Hz with 1ms response time. I'm not sure about the 144Hz monitors, like I don't even know if my R9 290 will need 144Hz. I'm not worried about the bezel because I don't plan on going dual monitors anytime soon (I might though). Anything else is a bonus.

@GTR12 said:

RAM, get the HyperX Blue, its cheap in Aus and OC's well.

I found 2x 4GB modules for $95, without postage, $104.7 with. I was hoping for something a little less expensive but still 8GBs of DDR3 1600. Was really hoping this whole setup would be $2000, supposedly not.

Also disregard another one of my comments about having a max budget or $2750, anything from $2250-$2500 should be fine (hopefully).

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DIV1D3

@GTR12: @PredatorRules:

Ok, done a little more research and wanted some advice. Everything but the Enermax, which is from Amazon, is from Mwave.

I would like to know what the G45 has over the G41, Motherboard:

MSI Z87-G45-$199 or MSI Z87-G41-$175?

Now, I've found a few and they are all DDR3 1600 8GB, RAM:

Corsair Vengeance-$129, Corsair Vengeance LP-$115, G.SKILL RipjawsX-$102 and Kingston HyperX blu-$95 (what GTR12 recommended).

Against the two lower priced which is the better and if the Noctua is worth the extra $50, CPU Cooler:

Enermax ETS-T40-TB-$30, CM Hyper 212 EVO-$39, Noctua NH-D14-$89.

Also in regards to CPU cooling is water cooling worth it? And if so by how much?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GTR12

@DIV1D3 said:

Ok, done a little more research and wanted some advice. Everything but the Enermax, which is from Amazon, is from Mwave.

Corsair Vengeance-$129, Corsair Vengeance LP-$115, G.SKILL RipjawsX-$102 and Kingston HyperX blu-$95 (what GTR12 recommended).

Against the two lower priced which is the better and if the Noctua is worth the extra $50, CPU Cooler:

Also in regards to CPU cooling is water cooling worth it? And if so by how much?

Do you really need that expensive a mobo? Take a look at the Asrock z87 extreme 4 and extreme 6.

Don't get the enermax cooler, its a POS, the noctua is the best air cooler but its huge, you need to check for compatibility with the mobo (more specifically the RAM slots, the cooler may block some slots), in which case you need some low profile RAM.

With water cooling, what kind? an all-in-one or full water cooling?

Ill try find a flashy case with what you want.

Cherry MX Red is what you want.

Your only going to get a TN panel if you want 120hz, IPS is only 60hz for now.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DIV1D3
@GTR12 said:

@DIV1D3 said:

Do you really need that expensive a mobo? Take a look at the Asrock z87 extreme 4 and extreme 6.

Don't get the enermax cooler, its a POS, the noctua is the best air cooler but its huge, you need to check for compatibility with the mobo (more specifically the RAM slots, the cooler may block some slots), in which case you need some low profile RAM.

With water cooling, what kind? an all-in-one or full water cooling?

Ill try find a flashy case with what you want.

Cherry MX Red is what you want.

Your only going to get a TN panel if you want 120hz, IPS is only 60hz for now.

Thanks heaps.

I was planning on getting MX Red but I just wasn't sure, also what keyboard/s would you suggest.

Are you talking about only 1440p monitors or 1080p as well for the Hz, if so than that's disappointing.

I was just thinking CPU cooling; I wouldn't think I would need water cooling for anything else because I’m getting a third party R9 290 so water cooling on its behalf won’t be need (hopefully). Can you even water cool anything else?

I’m thinking of getting something like the Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme ($129) or a more modest Corsair Hydro series H80/i if they do a big difference, because I’m planning on OCing to 4.4GHz-4.0GHz with the i7 4770K.

Also are there any other CPUs that are as good as the 4770K, but cost a little less? And about the ASRock Z87 Extreme 4, which is $155, and the Extreme 6, which is $220, why did you suggest these when you just said that the G45 and G41 were expensive. I would think they would have some sort of additions that the G45 and G41 don't?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GTR12

@DIV1D3: 1440p or 1080 at 120hz is only available in a TN panel, is that what you want definitely?

Don't get the water 2.0 extreme, its loud. If my damn sig showed up, you'd see I have a Kraken x60 and my 3570k is at 4.7Ghz, max temp I get is about 60c.

Only reason I got my water is because I'm limited with space (Corsair Carbide 400r), but as you will be getting a big case, you got no problems.

I can't suggest a KB, I have a pretty standard wireless Logitech and a g700 mouse.

In-built audio sucks on 95% of mobos, if you want audio quality, you need a soundcard.

If all your doing is gaming, then the i7 is pointless, get a i5.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GeryGo  Moderator

I can tell you one thing; the D14 is worth it if you install i7 or i7 Extreme - coz the air it pushes out of the case is so cold like WOW; if you want something a bit less expensive go for the U12P; if not the Evo 212 is good as well.

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DIV1D3

Ok, what I would find ideal atm is to knock out each part one by one. I would like to start with the case and atm I'm nowhere on it. Basically I just want a Phantom 820 but cheaper. I would like all of it's accessories and size and all but just a tad bit cheaper. Please if you could help me out, I'm really stumped especially for the case and monitor (but we can get to that a little later on).

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DIV1D3

@GTR12: Is there any advantage of getting an i7? I just wanted to get an i7 so my setup will be future-proofed. But atm I would like to get the case sorted, a Phantom 820 or something of the sort would be great (though something cheaper would be ideal). Also I don't necessarily want a huge case, just something that is cool, big enough and will last, plus the gizmos that come with the 820.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GTR12

@DIV1D3: Haf X or Antec 1200 are options

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GTR12

@DIV1D3 said:

@GTR12: Is there any advantage of getting an i7? I just wanted to get an i7 so my setup will be future-proofed. But atm I would like to get the case sorted, a Phantom 820 or something of the sort would be great (though something cheaper would be ideal). Also I don't necessarily want a huge case, just something that is cool, big enough and will last, plus the gizmos that come with the 820.

i5 has no hyper-threading, i7 does, that's the difference between the 2.

Do you do any high-end video transcoding or a lot of CAD work? that's where the i7 shines, doesn't help at all for games.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@DIV1D3 said:

Ok, what I would find ideal atm is to knock out each part one by one. I would like to start with the case and atm I'm nowhere on it. Basically I just want a Phantom 820 but cheaper. I would like all of it's accessories and size and all but just a tad bit cheaper. Please if you could help me out, I'm really stumped especially for the case and monitor (but we can get to that a little later on).

Can't see the reason of buying a full tower with 2 GPUs, if you went 3 way or 4 way then you go full tower.

I recommend Corsair 200R,300R,400R, Antec GX700 or Sharkoon REX3, T5 Value

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

http://overlordcomputer.com/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

You were saying? 120hz, ips, and its a 1440p with your choice of glossy, anti-glare, tempered glass, etc... etc...

Full tower is better because of airflow (I have a phantom chilling on my desk beside me). I do recommend the haf X for a full tower, it has some killer cable management, and some great air flow.

For ram ripjawsX is perfectly acceptable. Trident X if you want to splurge.

Keyboard is honestly personal preference for red the func Kb-460 is supposedly awesome.

CPU cooler, I have a coolermaster V8 (yea its like the size of a smart car). It does its job though. However, they were discontinued and fit in nothing less than a full tower. The 212 is pretty solid for the money.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GTR12

@IvanElk: $500 AUD max on a screen and I don't even know if they ship to Australia.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IvanElk

@GTR12 said:

@IvanElk: $500 AUD max on a screen and I don't even know if they ship to Australia.

I was responding to the people saying you can't have 120hz ips panels. I was not recommending them for the situation (though they are pretty awesome)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GTR12

@IvanElk said:

@GTR12 said:

I was responding to the people saying you can't have 120hz ips panels. I was not recommending them for the situation (though they are pretty awesome)

Oh, that was just me, I may buy one of those now ;)

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DIV1D3

@IvanElk said:

http://overlordcomputer.com/products/tempest-x270oc-glossy

You were saying? 120hz, ips, and its a 1440p with your choice of glossy, anti-glare, tempered glass, etc... etc...

Is there a large difference from 60Hz, 96Hz and 120Hz. I think i will be just finr with a 1080p monitor at 120Hz or a 1440p at 96Hz. Is there that much of a difference in frames with an R9 290?

@GTR12 said:

i5 has no hyper-threading, i7 does, that's the difference between the 2.

Do you do any high-end video transcoding or a lot of CAD work? that's where the i7 shines, doesn't help at all for games.

So, an i5 would be just as good for gaming as an i7? The only reasons why I want the 4770K is because it is an i7 and is recommended by PC Gamer. That’s really all but I would guess that the 4770K would do better in games that come out next year and the year after than lets say, 3570K. I really just don’t want to bottleneck my R9 290, or R9 290s when the time comes.

@PredatorRules said:

@DIV1D3 said:

Can't see the reason of buying a full tower with 2 GPUs, if you went 3 way or 4 way then you go full tower.

I recommend Corsair 200R,300R,400R, Antec GX700 or Sharkoon REX3, T5 Value

If I can get a case that can hold an R9 290, has good cooling and airflow, has a fan controller and LEDs in a smaller size and price than the 820 than I’ll be happy. I would only compromise on the LEDs but definitely not the fan controller or fans.

Now I'm thinking about just the Phantom (not 820) as it has a 5 way fan controller. And what about Mwave, is it any good, I've seen most of the items that I looked up they are one of the suppliers? Any thoughts?

DIV1D3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DIV1D3

I'm really stuck on this, I really want the Phantom 820 but just the Phantom looks great and comes with 3 120mm and a 200m. I'm thinking about buying another 140mm for the front which is $14.99 (high speed) or $8.99 (normal). The Phantom with the Sentry 2 and extra fan is $150-$160.

Edit: Actually what if I get a 140mm for the front and a 200mm for the top and use the Sentry 2. I think that that should provide sufficient cooling. I really want the Phantom now that with the 140mm, 200mm and controller it's only $165-$170. Also what's the difference between the silent and other 200mm fan?

http://www.nzxt.com/category/products/9-case-fans

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/34-phantom

Edit: Wow, just found a Phantom 530 with like everything I want, except for a normal Phantom and aftermarket R9 290. How much do you think i could sell an XFX R9 290 and an NZXT Phantom 530? Would I still be able to sell them as new or will they be 2nd hand?

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 IvanElk

I recommend the phantom (I have one sitting right beside me :D). Very easy cable management, good size and great airflow. For whatever case you do decide to get make sure you get one with space behind the mobo for cable management for airflow purposes. Also has 5 fan controllers which you can always get a splitter and assign two to one if you wanted to assign like the two on the side panel and run on on the hdd cage.

Either way I give a thumbs up to the phantom.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GTR12

@DIV1D3: The i5 4670k won't bottleneck 2 290's even at stock speed.

PC gamer recommends the i7 only because of the name i7, its like running into joe average or a friend who isn't computer savvy (lets just call them dumb lol), he's like "oh my computer is blazing fast, it has an i7 and like a ton of RAM"

He doesn't know what he's talking about really, he just likes the name i7.