new gaming PC Builder

#1 Posted by 0xor1 (2 posts) -

Hi, I want to make my first gaming pc, but I have never built my own pc before. I have a shopping list of components [here](http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/32Q6HU39XIDRG) I want it to be a portable gaming rig as I will be transporting it around quite a bit which is why I want a mini-itx board in a bitfenix prodigy case. Could any experienced game rig builders have a look over my list and let me know if any of the components are incompatible, which is my main worry.

also could anyone recommend a good cpu fan that would work in this build? I mainly want quiet.

#2 Posted by kraken2109 (12978 posts) -

Personally I don't think a 250GB drive is large enough.

#3 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6273 posts) -

hmm, as kraken has pointed out 250 gig will not nearly be enough.

You could either go for a larger ssd, or buy a cheaper mechanical one as a storage device, something Akin to a WD Black 2 tb, for games and such.

#4 Posted by 0xor1 (2 posts) -

but will the CPU/RAM/motherboard all be compatible?

#5 Posted by insane_metalist (5912 posts) -

You don't need 16GB of ram.. 8GB will be enough for gaming unless you plan on video editing, etc.

#6 Posted by groowagon (2740 posts) -

hmmmm seems legit. i also have similiar (same CPU) mini-ITX rig built in Bitfenix Prodigy.

you don't need those extra fans, though, unless you really want them to have leds. the case itself has 2x12cm fans preinstalled (one front, one back). my mobo only supports 1 case fan (i know, right?!) where i connected the rear exhaust, and my temps are just fine when gaming. the mobo in your build seems to support multiple fans, so you should be just fine with the stock fans.

about the CPU cooler, i'm using the stock cooler with my 4670K, and the rig is REALLY quiet already with that. i'm not sure if passive CPU heatsink alone would make it any more silent, since you would still have GPU and case fans running. but trust me, it's really silent (i also got ASUS GPU with DirectCUII cooling)

then, like others already mentioned, you should get a regular HDD too for storage. 256GB SSD is too small just by itself in the long run. SSD for OS and applications, HDD for storage. or HDD for everything.

#7 Edited by PredatorRules (7249 posts) -

@0xor1 said:

Hi, I want to make my first gaming pc, but I have never built my own pc before. I have a shopping list of components [here](http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/32Q6HU39XIDRG) I want it to be a portable gaming rig as I will be transporting it around quite a bit which is why I want a mini-itx board in a bitfenix prodigy case. Could any experienced game rig builders have a look over my list and let me know if any of the components are incompatible, which is my main worry.

also could anyone recommend a good cpu fan that would work in this build? I mainly want quiet.

The build is good, you could save some money if you downgrade the RAM dims into 1600Mhz because there's no actual performance difference.

About a cpu fan I can recommend you three of those:

• EVO 212 if you want to do little to no OC what so ever, but I doubt that because you've listed 4670k.
  • Noctua D14 - a beast of CPU fan - excellent for OC.
  • Corsair H100i is the best OC solution and the most expensive out of these three options, I also doubt it'll fit that case

#8 Posted by 04dcarraher (19171 posts) -

@0xor1 said:

The build is good, you could save some money if you downgrade the RAM dims into 1600Mhz because there's no actual performance difference.

About a cpu fan I can recommend you three of those:

• EVO 212 if you want to do little to no OC what so ever, but I doubt that because you've listed 4670k.
  • Noctua D14 - a beast of CPU fan - excellent for OC.
  • Corsair H100i is the best OC solution and the most expensive out of these three options, I also doubt it'll fit that case

Hyper 212+ evo does fit but you will have to have the fan like this to fit

#9 Edited by jayd02 (787 posts) -

also try and make your build on pcpartpicker.com if you're worried about compatibility issues. They will tell you if they don't work and if you do it in the right order they won't let you pick incompatible parts.

I looked at what you had (briefly) and they seem good. You shouldn't need a mounting bracket for the SSD should you go with it. Look up some videos of the Prodigy (I don't have the case but I love it to death.) It already has room and brackets for the SSD. Also if you want to cut some money you can look up how to boot your OS from a usb or flash drive and just get rid of the BD drive. If you plan on using it to watch movies then forget I typed this but most people download games from Steam or Humble Bundle.