New Gaming Computer Specification Consulting

#1 Edited by Diegorkable (11 posts) -

Hey guys,

Next week I am purchasing a new PC (Desktop computer) that will be used as a Gaming PC. I am buying it for 1,180 EURO and from what I've heard it's supposed to be a really good one. I will put here the specifications and tell me if it's worth it or not:

• Intel Processor - Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz 8MB L3 Cache s1150 - Tray
  • Processor fan - Arctic Freezer 13
  • Motherboard - Asus Z97-C LGA1150, Intel Z97, DDR3 1600, 2xPCI-E, VGA, DVI, HDMI
  • Memory - G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800 Kit CL11-11-11-28
  • Graphics Card - EVGA GTX770 Dual ACX SuperClocked Cooler 4GB GDDR5 DX11 2xDVI HDMI DP PCI-E
  • Hard Disk - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EZRX 1TB Sata III
  • Power Supply - Corsair CX 750W Series Active PFC 12cm Fan PSU

I am not buying this computer in the U.S since I don't live there, so it might cost a little higher than it would in the U.S, but overall, what do you say about this computer? is it worth the money?

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (19270 posts) -

The specs are good besides the harddrive if you can get rid of that green drive do it.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (29569 posts) -

The specs are good besides the harddrive if you can get rid of that green drive do it.

Or get a 256gb SSD along.

#4 Edited by Diegorkable (11 posts) -

@MonsieurX: Can you elaborate a bit more?

@04dcarraher: What should I get instead?

EDIT: You mean getting something like this? Corsair Force LX CSSD-F256GBLX 256GB SSD Sata

I am not quite sure but, is getting a hard disk only optional, but if I get one I should get it with an SSD Hard drive?

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (29569 posts) -

@diegorkable: Green drives are slow and best used as storage drives.

If you want to install programs\games to launch quickly,you should get a SSD.

128gb is fine for Windows,most used programs and few games but I think 256gb is a good spot currently.

#6 Posted by Diegorkable (11 posts) -

@MonsieurX: I edited my last post, can you relate to that? And if what I said is true, can you give me an example of what drive to get?

#7 Posted by 04dcarraher (19270 posts) -

Samsung EVO SSD's are great for their performance to price ratio. But as for getting a decent normal harddrive Seagate barracuda's, or WD blue/black or even red types are much better then those green drives.

#8 Posted by Chatch09 (309 posts) -

I'd recommend that you get the 4790k if you can bring yourself to spend the extra $5-20 (depending where you buy), they run faster, cooler, and draw less power. (Almost all reviews I saw OC'd to 4.6Ghz on air coolers)

#9 Edited by insane_metalist (5981 posts) -

Specs look good.
Get 240GB - 256GB SSD for OS and WD Blue/Black or Seagate Barracuda HDD.

#10 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@diegorkable: That will be a good rig. I agree what others are saying about the HDD. If you go with a SSD, look up the Samsung EVO series. What kind of PSU will it have?

#11 Edited by Diegorkable (11 posts) -

@stizzal13: Corsair CX 750W Series Active PFC 12cm Fan PSU

#12 Edited by Coseniath (647 posts) -

Hello.

I would reccomend 2 changes that will improve your PC performance while it will remain at the same price.

First of all as people already told you, use a Western Digital Blue 10EZEX which is 1TB and it costs $55. The blues series are previous black series (according to WD) that a new black is out so the old goes blue so its great value for money.

Second, for gaming you only need 8GB total RAM. So you can use 2x4GB RAM and with the rest $60-70 plus a few more and you can buy a better GPU like a GTX780.

Your GPU costs $390. An MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB TWIN FROZR costs $470. So if you pay $70 less for RAM, for just $10 you can have a GK110 chip.

The 8GB RAM GTX780 setup will destroy in any game the 16GB RAM GTX770 4GB setup :).

edit: If you want you can take the 4790K which is running at 500Mhz faster and in most countries costs about the same...

#13 Posted by Diegorkable (11 posts) -

@Coseniath: That was some really valuable advice, thank you very much! But some question that interests me. You said that for gaming I need 8GB RAM, yeah, today newest games require minimum 8GB RAM, but the question is, thinking of the future, if I get 16GB RAM it's more future proof, isn't it? Like... I can guess games in the future (1-2 years) will probably require more RAM, so getting that now is much better, dont you think? (than improving the GPU by a bit), I don't know, if you think I'm wrong tell me.

#14 Posted by Coseniath (647 posts) -

@Coseniath: That was some really valuable advice, thank you very much! But some question that interests me. You said that for gaming I need 8GB RAM, yeah, today newest games require minimum 8GB RAM, but the question is, thinking of the future, if I get 16GB RAM it's more future proof, isn't it? Like... I can guess games in the future (1-2 years) will probably require more RAM, so getting that now is much better, dont you think? (than improving the GPU by a bit), I don't know, if you think I'm wrong tell me.

Nope, today's games need 4-6GB RAM. I would really love to see a game passing 8GB RAM minimum requirement for the next 2-3 years without being broken...

Also when in the future this happens, you can always buy 8GB more RAM (since your mobo has 4 RAM slots) for just $70, but you cant just like that upgrade your GPU for $70 :).

#15 Edited by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@stizzal13: Corsair CX 750W Series Active PFC 12cm Fan PSU

Good deal.

@Coseniath I agree that 8gb of ram is good for now. That is a lot of ram if you think about it. Go for a stronger GPU.

#16 Posted by Diegorkable (11 posts) -